Blizzard Backs Down on Real Names in Forums

Status
Not open for further replies.

JackNSally

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
"Now trolls can still behind the veil of anonymity."

A word seems to be missing or something. That sentence just doesn't sound right. Can still what? Hide?

Warsaw

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2008
Well....that didn't take long at all for them to reverse that decision. Personally I don't see the point in doing the whole "Real Name" thing, Steam is PERFECT imo, you just have an alias you go by. I believe Blizzard should take note and just do a universal "Alias" of sorts, but for cross-games. THEN, and only then will I decide to do this "optional" communication.

proxy711

Distinguished
Jun 5, 2009
I doubt they will revisit posting real names ever again after the the backlash it caused.

I hope instead they decide to actually police the forums now. the new features like ranking posts is the first step. If they really crack down on trolls and the insults the forums will be such a better place to visit.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
Thank you Blizzard. This (along with no LAN support) was starting to make you look like another Activision / EA / Ubisoft that doesn't care about its customers.

zachary k

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
well, they listen to the customers alright, too bad paranoid idiots are louder then people with more than half a mind. bad move blizz, i was looking forward to this.

master9716

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
The funny thing is that All the IDIOTS are thanking them for not doing this. Wich is funny bc its a paid service , they are so cought-up in the addiction that they think they need to thank Blizzard for this wow!!

Someone needs to find a good reason to file a class action law-suit against them. There has to be a way bc they are always changing the Terms of use , so someone needs to find a way to put a high ammount of value on time invested ingame so that evertime they change the TOU they can file a lawsuit if they dont agree with their changes

ColMirage

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
[citation][nom]JackNSally[/nom]"Now trolls can still behind the veil of anonymity."A word seems to be missing or something. That sentence just doesn't sound right. Can still what? Hide?[/citation]

lol, i didn't even notice, my mind just added the word "Hide" in there even if I didn't read it.

master9716

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
YOU SERIOUS? Everyone knows that blizzard doesnt give a crap about customers all they are about is Cash 12million players x $14.00 a month = Who cares if 2k players quit in our next change.

Why do you think that Arenas are so messed up? because all they do is listen to babyes cry and give them what they want Unlike the older players already know theres nothing they can do so they dont do anything.

pojih

Distinguished
May 21, 2009
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]Thank you Blizzard. This (along with no LAN support) was starting to make you look like another Activision / EA / Ubisoft that doesn't care about its customers.[/citation]

You know Activision owns blizzard right?
[citation][nom]master9716[/nom]The funny thing is that All the IDIOTS are thanking them for not doing this. Wich is funny bc its a paid service , they are so cought-up in the addiction that they think they need to thank Blizzard for this wow!!Someone needs to find a good reason to file a class action law-suit against them. There has to be a way bc they are always changing the Terms of use , so someone needs to find a way to put a high ammount of value on time invested ingame so that evertime they change the TOU they can file a lawsuit if they dont agree with their changes[/citation]

In their TOS it says they can change their TOS whenever. TOS's are also notorious for not meaning anything also.

Regardless of how you feel, there are still enough people out there who will play the game.

And in regards to the forums, subscribers pay enough to have some policing on them. The trolling is pretty out of hand (or at least was when I quit).

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]pojih[/nom]You know Activision owns blizzard right?[/citation]
Yes, but from this and other actions, it seems that Blizzard still remains relatively independent from a management standpoint.

Glorian

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2008
I haven't played wow in a while but i can bet the forums are the same. I bet they freakin' blew up after they made that announcement and Blizzard again folded to the will of the forums that doesn't even represent the majority of those who play. As much as I loved playing the game, the people on the forums are absolute idiots.

clivene09

Distinguished
May 28, 2010
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]Yes, but from this and other actions, it seems that Blizzard still remains relatively independent from a management standpoint.[/citation]
Save for the milking every last dime they can out of their customers thing right?

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
[citation][nom]clivene09[/nom]Save for the milking every last dime they can out of their customers thing right?[/citation]
To be fair, Blizzard was doing that way before Activision stepped in.

prozium42

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2010
[citation][nom]Glorian[/nom] and Blizzard again folded to the will of the forums that doesn't even represent the majority of those who play. [/citation]

You would think that maybe, just maybe, the people replying to the forum thread would represent the majority of those USING THE FORUMS.

Also, you obviously don't utilize the forums very often. Entire threads full of dozens if not hundreds of people calling for a small change and Blizzard will still say no. They don't cater to the forumers, they cater to what they believe will be the most fun. Reading through Cataclysm info and seeing how its constantly changing shows this: they already scrapped some things for cataclysm because they realized it'd only add a little more tedious grinding with a result that can easily be integrated.

Maxor127

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
It was a very ill-conceived idea. Blizzard should've never have even considered it. I don't see how it would stop trolls. If you want to stop trolls, force them to put their addresses on there. If you want to hold people accountable for their posts, then screen names and cd keys should be enough.

maestintaolius

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
What exactly is the point of forums if you can't use them to anonymously insult and harass people from a safe distance?

By the way, you all are of less than desirable olfactory presence and are of lesser than average intelligence!

MrHectorEric

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
Blizzard did the right thing here. It's nice to see a game company actually listening to their customers. There's a lot they can do to the forums without publishing everyone's real names to the world, like say actually moderating them and wielding the ban hammer when necessary.

Status
Not open for further replies.