Blizzard Deleting 'Inappropriate' StarCraft 2 Maps

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Wow, battle.net is looking more and more like xbox live. Give me a break blizzard.

icepick314

Distinguished
Jul 24, 2002
dammit!!!

if I don't want to play on a map full of penis and Nazi swastika, I'll choose myself, thank you!!!

I don't need moral police telling me what's bad and good for me...I have a brain...I can think and choose for myself....

Trialsking

Distinguished
Mar 2, 2007
"Eventually it was revealed that unit movement patterns accidentally formed a "certain anti-Semite symbol" on a minimap within Ultimate Take Defense."

Where is the ACLU to defend the Nazi point of view? Surely their are a minority who needs an advocate?!?!?

adikos

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
weird. guess we should start censoring buildings in google maps that make patterns that could be considered offensive.

i guess this all amounts to if the map creators were at least warned which it doesnt sound like they were, despite blizzard saying that is part of the process.

on the same token i think everyone, b-net and blizzard got a little out of hand.

inboxeses

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2010
blizzard is confused about how favorable the public will look upon a pathetic attempt to graft a discussion about intentions onto a discussion about what was indeed a draconic action resulting from their immature removal policy; at least they round-aboutly admitted to the draconic actions and immaturity on their part, though they probably calculated that calling it out with equivocation would take some heat of their backs; sure looks like the republicans are running blizzard public relations lol

mrecio

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2008
The directions Blizzard has taken since joining with activision are not good ones. I myself have stopped playing\buying all Blizzards games (NEVER thought id see the day when I would stop supporting blizzard)

G

You guys need to understand that Blizzard wants to keep the game relatively family-friendly, as not ALL Starcraft 2 players live in their parents' basement and can handle all the pseudo-nudity and prejudice some people choose to put in their maps. I'm not saying that Blizzard is completely right, they could have implemented a better system that allows you to see maps they don't approve of rather than just killing it. But don't be so damn unreasonable when they're trying.

matt87_50

Distinguished
Mar 23, 2009
this all depends...

can you distribute, and play online with online buddies any map you want without submitting it to blizzard's official channel and undergoing their scrutiny?? can you even play your own maps with friends over LAN? (NO...)

or is their way the ONLY way to play and trade maps with your friends..

if so.. F*** YOU BLIZZARD!!

I can FULLY understand that they would want to censor content hosted by them. thats perfectly FINE! but ONLY if there is another way!! same BS as with Apple.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
[citation][nom]trialsking[/nom]"Eventually it was revealed that unit movement patterns accidentally formed a "certain anti-Semite symbol" on a minimap within Ultimate Take Defense."Where is the ACLU to defend the Nazi point of view? Surely their are a minority who needs an advocate?!?!?[/citation]

The swastika is the oldest of ancient symbols dating back as far as 1000 BCE, where it was found on pottery. It's almost universally used to represent positive messages, like good luck, and could be found on the uniforms of some American soldiers prior to WWII.

Yeah, the Nazi's used the symbol. How that automatically makes any glance of it anti-semitic, or evil, or offensive, or anything like that is beyond me. There are Native American cultures who used the swastica for crying out load.

G

It seems like I'm paying money for "inappropriate" censorship.

king421

Distinguished
Jun 24, 2009
You should read about the other gripes people have with custom map making and battle.net. It's really hurting starcraft 2's image.

Repelsteeltje

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2008
Historically the swastika was the symbol of the Nazi party. It is only anti-semitic by association. I think it's a pretty far call to assume anything that even remotely looks like a swastika has anything to do with (anti)jewish sentiment. And even if it clearly was a swastika, then I'd still say it's next to impossible to exclude the flag of Nazi-germany from games, as a lot of games have war themes anyway.

Status
Not open for further replies.