Blizzard Doesn't Want Diablo 3 Players to Rely on Auction House for Equipment

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, since i dont play d3 and i still play d2, its hard to really know what the auction house is all about.
Thou every company uses this P2W sysytem, some use it better than others.
2 Bad they killed the Franchise with that crappy game. Oh well, lets wait for some small company to make the new great hack and slash.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
Totally BS, every darn good piece of gear my character had was from AH. Played a int class and always got agi/str drops and very rarely int drops of poorer quality, its not meant to get the gear in AH - Yeah right! Btw swapped to a hunter just to farm int gear, and guess what... no agi gear dropped for him but plenty of str/int...

FFS Blizzard do you really think peeps are so stupid to buy into that crap?

timw03878

Honorable
Jul 23, 2012
Hard for me to blame blizzard for any of this...

They made a crap product, and people bought it... Like mindless sheep you walked right off the bridge made of hype.

Unlike the rest of ya I saved my 60 dollars, and I'm glad I did. I get to watch all the idiots who bought a turd.

orionite

Distinguished
Apr 29, 2008
the core of Diablo is a trading game.
Wait, what?! I may be completely off here, but I always thought that what kept you addicted to D2 was finding new exciting equipment that made your char stronger. I very very rarely traded. In D3 the frequency with which you find usable equipment drops dramatically as you progress through the game and its difficulty levels to the point where you do a farming run and expect to disenchant your entire yellow inventory, several times over without ever keeping a single item.
Then you have the problem that if you balance the game for those who play the auction house, then those that don't will be hopelessly underpowered. If you cater to the non-auctioneers, the more hard-core will feel under-challenged.
IMHO the AH was the single biggest mistake in the entire franchise history.

sanctoon

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
Every time I read in the comments about Diablo crafting, I think of the time about 12 years back, when my friend stayed at my house for the holiday. The only thing we played was D2, day in, day out. One night we went on a boozer, so he came home drunk and put his first two Perfect Gems (which he grinded for about a week to get) in a piece of junk sword. When he sobered up, he scolded me for allowing him to do that. Ah fun times

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
[citation][nom]sanctoon[/nom]Every time I read in the comments about Diablo crafting, I think of the time about 12 years back, when my friend stayed at my house for the holiday. The only thing we played was D2, day in, day out. One night we went on a boozer, so he came home drunk and put his first two Perfect Gems (which he grinded for about a week to get) in a piece of junk sword. When he sobered up, he scolded me for allowing him to do that. Ah fun times[/citation]

Yep :) There was a major flaw in D2's save game mechanism that allowed you to copy a save, load it on another pc, connect via multiplayer, trade with the same character and so get a copy of every item in your inventory. Up until the moment I discovered that exploit D2 was the king of games for me. Still I had months of honest glorious gameplay.

virtualban

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
Items locked to account will give D3 farmers less incentive to stay online and play. Will not be surprised if in the short term players will be leaving D3 more than currently doing.

sten_gn

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
To add an injury to insult - blizzard can start producing "my little pony games" for retarded !!!
The fiasco of d3 is almost the same as ms vista !!!
With the exception i could go off-line on vista. :p

noblerabbit

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2010
Blizzard and Diablo 3, have created a new low I haven't seen in the videogame industry, since the advent of Pong. They have brainwashed the people that still play it past 3 weeks time, something worse than that of a Scientology cult group. To each their own, and believe what you will, but this D3 CD is the definite coaster of the millenium. I am saddenned, because D1 and D2 were amongst the top 5 best videogames of all time for me. D3 ranks bottom of the pig lard pail. Shame on your Blizzard.

and what is this business of advocating paypal and account credit cards to a game that caters to people under age, obviously you wrote the story line for 8~13 year old audience, I hope someone files a tremendous lawsuit against Blizzard for this, there are billions to be made from a settlement.

corvak

Honorable
Jan 31, 2013
They spent six years training their fans via WoW's auction house, and are surprised? The loot system as it is just doesnt lend itself to using items you find once you're done with normal mode. Sell to players 5 levels under you, buy from players 5 levels over.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]Article[/nom]....added that Demonic Essence was made account bound to encourage players....[/citation]
It's not account bound - you can drop it on the floor for someone else to pick up - like the hellfire torch in Diablo 2.

Anyway I agree with the dev on the problem. A friend and I decided to pick up playing Diablo 3 again after an 8 month break from it, and after the sunday evening session he said 'Yeah, and when people ask what we've done we'll have to reply that we've been playing Auction House'

bluestar2k11

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
[citation][nom]timw03878[/nom]Hard for me to blame blizzard for any of this...They made a crap product, and people bought it... Like mindless sheep you walked right off the bridge made of hype.Unlike the rest of ya I saved my 60 dollars, and I'm glad I did. I get to watch all the idiots who bought a turd.[/citation]

I blame blizzard for making a crap product.
Mind you I didn't buy it, once they announced always on DRM, and a RMT AH, I passed.
Because 1) I don't buy games with always on DRM, MMO's are obviously an exception because their built for always on for a good reason :p And 2) Basically, they legalized within the game, RMT activities which for around 2-3 years attempted to destroy the entire economy within my favorite MMO, FFXI.

And unlike several in my guild from another game, and a close personal friend of mine who has it as well as his GF who is a blizzard die-hard esp for wow and bought it for him.

The guild is bored and annoyed of it, She claims it's great, he believes it's quite terrible.
I'm inclined to believe the latter.

I'll go buy Torchlight 2, which I hear is much much better.
Or just stick to Titan's quest or Diablo 2 which I do have. Dungeon siege is really nice too with a few mods I found that I love^^

G

Diablo 3 was not a crap product. It had a story from beginning to end. Yes it was a short game. Yes it was nothing compared to Diablo 2 or Diablo 1. It is a fun little top-down shooter, and yes, I say shooter because half the classes shoot bolts or guns just like in an FPS.

Now there is much work to be done and way more campaign to add to the game. Not sure why Blizzard has been so silent on this. There needs to be 5-10 times more singleplayer content, another new story, and cooperative content of course, to keep the masses happy.

daniel_p15

Honorable
Feb 14, 2013
What the fuck you think we are Blizzard?

You guys realized this NOW after developing Diablo I & II, which are 2 of the most revolutionary games of the PC gaming?

Wasn't the ex-giant Diablo fanbase enough proof to prove that we were patiently waiting 12 years for another great adventure and not WoWFarming/Grinding??

After Cataclysm, i was getting dissapointed, with D3 i got completely dissapointed... but after reading this i'm very upset... do you think that the gamers are stupid or what?... you transformed one of the greatest franchises of the gaming industry in a f$%ng cash cow and now you say that "you didnt wanted players to focus on grinding"... COME ON!! GTFO!!

You have lost both a loyal Blizzard and Diablo fan... because i know its a matter of time that you screw Starcraft too

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
[citation][nom]Murissokah[/nom]Those 60 bucks will be the last money Blizzard ever sees from my pockets. Better start building a new player base, caused they screwd Diablo's pretty big.[/citation]

QFT

[citation][nom]master_chen[/nom]B-B-B-But what about "Titan"!? %)[/citation]

Shall be promptly ignored, as it is MMO.

I used to idolize Blizzard, as many people did. I do not regret that, no many companies could produce such high quality titles on the PC front. Every game I had ever played from them was on a different level from the rest. Warcraft was a RTS gem. The map builder was an open platform that ended up creating a new genre of gaming.

Starcraft was amazing. Kerrigan was recently voted the best villain ever by players on Gamespot. The game had both great story telling and playablity.

WOW is not my thing as it is an MMO, but its success can't be argued with. It defined the genre.

I would buy anything they came up with (MMO an exception) and I am not ashamed of that. They had earned that trust. Now they lost it.

Actually, they sold it for 60 bucks. Go die in a fire Blizzard.

neiroatopelcc

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2006
[citation][nom]master_chen[/nom]B-B-But..what about "Titan"!? %)[/citation]
You're probably right. While wasting money on both D3 and SC2 makes us think 'never again' we'll probably eat our words when they make the next new thing.
After all Blizzard hasn't invented anything new since 2004, so maybe the next thing is something new ... or it'll just be a different version of the same just like the last two games and all of the wow expansions...
if titan looks like a clone of wow, I'll probably skip it, but if it looks like something entirely new or (please please please) indicate they've stolen ideas from bethesda, I might sink money into it and probably be disappointed.

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

You shouldn't ignore such awesome games as Diablo II just because of an uber-fail of a sequel/prequel and assinine actions of the said game's developer (especially since Blizzard's very well known for it's ass-clowning for the last several years...look for all the bans in WoW and absolute racism towards Russia and several European countries, lol).
That would be a very noobish and absolutely inexperienced thing to do. I'm telling you this as a true hardcore gamer (with many years of actual experience and literally thousands of video games behind my shoulders): try Diablo II, don't ignore it simply because Blizzard turned into EA in the last several years.
I, for one, still play Diablo II, WarCraft II, "Rock N' Roll Racing", "The Lost Vikings", Blackthorne...all of those are absolute diamonds by Blizzard.

G

Wow! They are just realizing this NOW?!

To quote the man who ruined the most beloved franchise in history: "**** those losers.. "

Status
Not open for further replies.