Blizzard Doesn't Want Diablo 3 Players to Rely on Auction House for Equipment

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

World of Darkness is coming...you'll ignore it too? Because it's "MMO"? :\
US and European servers of PSO II coming this year...you'll ignore this game too, because it's an "MMO"? :\
Oh BTW, Guild Wars 2 is an "MMO" too (what a surprise)! :\

jn77

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2007
this is interesting, I mean, most of the time we only get crappy drops, so then you have the bots that farm stuff and get a higher percentage of the good stuff, then they sell it and make even more money on the auction house..... let the real users get the good drops and be done with it.

7out

Honorable
Oct 27, 2012
[citation][nom]SinisterSalad[/nom]I've been pouring my time into Path of Exile. That game's come a long way in the last year.[/citation]

Same here, the game is worth the $60 that Diablo is not by a long long way. Plus it's FTP and they have gone on record (for what its worth) to say it will never be pay to win.

d_kuhn

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2002
[citation][nom]7out[/nom]Same here, the game is worth the $60 that Diablo is not by a long long way. Plus it's FTP and they have gone on record (for what its worth) to say it will never be pay to win.[/citation]

I have not had a lot of time to play but my kid loves PoE and I enjoyed the couple hours I got in (before Skyrim Dragonborn sucked me in).

I was impressed enough with PoE to tell my son to spend some money to support them (once it's possible, not sure if they have any market tool open yet). I'd like to see free to play work and encourage more top quality titles to be released that way - but for it to work, those of us would can afford to buy it should make sure we spend the money in-game. I really like that they're not pay to win too... I think that's an important distinction. Let folks pay for things that will make their lives easie in gamer, but not for basic necessities.

xelliz

Distinguished
Feb 24, 2009
Personally I had a lot of fun playing Diablo 3 and I only bought 1 or 2 cheap items from the AH. I sold very little as well.

That being said, I haven't played D3 in about 8 months or more. When I was playing, gear from crafting was crap so no one did it. Gear from drops as stated is consistently 5 levels below what you need. Probably 95% of the D3 community knew since before release what Blizzard has apparently just now figured out.

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
[citation][nom]tinmann[/nom]Well then why implement a auction house in the first place?[/citation]
Exactly. The game would've likely been so much better and more well received if the whole freaking game didn't revolve around the auction house. It really feels like they thought of the auction house system first and everything else was an after thought.

nhat11

Distinguished
Aug 15, 2009
[citation][nom]master_chen[/nom]Someone still "plays" FIALbo III? Didn't think so.Torchlight II-god[/citation]

Wow glad people are so original in their comments. Never heard that one before.

guavasauce

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2010
this is all just knee-jerk response to a base failure. the auction house was ALWAYS meant to be a cash crop for blizzard, not to "help out" players. no, i dont think using real money hurt d2 either, but it DID hurt d3 cause you forced the use of the auction in order to make it in the game. of course, you wont admit to tipping the scales, but i dont need words for what my eyes can see.
\
Lucky for me, i got a refund before the 30 day period was over. money well taken back.

zopaque

Honorable
Feb 4, 2013
Another huge issue with this is the fact that acquiring good gear via grinding is near impossible. Drops are pretty much garbage the majority of the time which throws players away. They seriously screwed this up royally.

jbourne84

Distinguished
Jun 10, 2008
i was strung along for 12 years waiting for this game, as a full fledged adult they are lucky i bought it at all. I cringed when i read about the auction house before the game came out, and now they realize what it does to the game. I mean come on.
Blizzard DOES make a hell of a game, but their reliance on a patient and loyal fan base is borderline arrogant, at the very least they are taking it for granted.

[citation][nom]master_chen[/nom]World of Darkness is coming...you'll ignore it too? Because it's "MMO"? :\US and European servers of PSO II coming this year...you'll ignore this game too, because it's an "MMO"? :\Oh BTW, Guild Wars 2 is an "MMO" too (what a surprise)! :\[/citation]

Don't know what World of Darkness is, so I guess I am already ignoring it. Yes to PSO II (will ignore too). Guild Wars I don't ignore, I actively avoid.

Believe it, some people just don't like the MMO idea.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
[citation][nom]The_Trutherizer[/nom]Yep... Diablo 3 is like a pay per pixel paint program where you are not experiencing the journey of the game, but paying to create the end result.[/citation]

This is just too well put.

LightningStryk17

Distinguished
Sep 2, 2006
[citation][nom]master_chen[/nom]Someone still "plays" FIALbo III? Didn't think so.Torchlight II-god[/citation]

Ive played both D3 and Torchlight 2.

TL2 had a better item system but I got bored after I beat the game once.

D3 I logged over 150 hours in (probably 8 times more than TL2).

But I will say the damn auction house in D3 is annoying. You really do spend more time using the AH than actually playing the game, which is a shame cause the actual game play is pretty fun, just wish the story wasn't so terrible and hand holding.

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

I pity you...you poor, poor soul... :pfff:

You're probably going to suck major balls at this and this...the future of gaming is pretty bleak for you, my friend...I am sorry to bring these news for you, but it just seems so... :\

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

I want to post a reply to this comment, but I feel like I have to be misreading it. There is no way that someone who has posted enough to achieve Veteran rank on this site still can't cope with the thought that someone doesn't like nor wants to play a game that you enjoy. I'm also not sure Guild Wars 2's relevance to either of the two games that you linked. Cyberpunk 2077 isn't even billed as an MMO yet, is it? The guy not playing MMO's would indicate that he probably won't play and thus won't have the opportunity to "suck balls" at Shadowrun. I mean... I... what?

Am I misreading it? There's no way that you or anyone could be that much of a garbage poster.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

I must not. You'll have to explain your post to me since I'm so slow.

Oh crap I see what you meant. I actually misquoted you! "suck major balls". Sorry for the lack of context.

master_chen

Honorable
Jun 20, 2012

You totally missed the point of my post, or else (if you'd really didn't) you wouldn't be spewing nonsense like the one you shitted there on me.
It was not about "stop hating what I like" at all, man...you really didn't get it, did you? :\
It was about ignorance, about how a person can be naive in relation to things, and about the lack of necessary experience.
Things like these are what works as a main catalyst for such horrible abominations of video game entertainment industry as "Mass Effect 3 Ending", "Diablo III", "Dance Dance Revolution Winx Club" (I AM SHITTING YOU NOT!), "PlayStation All-Stars", "Syndicate The FPS", "Super Smash Bros. Brawl", Silent Hill "Book of Memories", "Steel Battalion Kinect" (The horror...THE HORROR!!!111), "Sonic Freeriders", "Final Fantasy X-2", "Final Fantasy XIII" and "Spike's VGA" (What a POS!) to even begin existing in the first place!
Ignorance, lack of actual broad experience and "devil-may-care" attitude is what creates such trash.
And then we whine that developers are ***, that games are bad and "what were they thinking!?" (c) AVGN, while being totally in denial of the fact that WE ALLOWED THAT TO HAPPEN! :\
That was the point of my message. Being ignorant of what's going on in the industry, ignorantly bash/"skip" some games simply because "not my genre/thing", being extremely "casual" about things and basically only buying/playing "whatever's actual right now" while not even looking at many other potentially good games, is what makes possible the situations like the one I described.

casualcolors

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011

So you're assuming that he's subject to wanton ignorance by knowing what he prefers to spend his money on. He seems to know what MMO's are, and he seems to not like them based on what he has seen. You disagree with his opinion but you're being painfully obtuse in an attempt to downplay the significance of his opinion. And again, is Cyberpunk 2077 actually confirmed as an MMO?

What I'm getting from your response is that I did not mistake the insipid implication of your initial post, and that it's a shame this is Toms where I can at best qualify it as "garbage" posting and not something more appropriately descriptive.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS