Blizzard Doesn't Want Diablo 3 Players to Rely on Auction House for Equipment

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Oh that's rich, considering that the whole time I was levelling a character every item you would get is 5-8 levels below what you are currently using, so yeah nah I think I'll stick to auction house.

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
I was scared to death to play D3 with all the issues it had on launch and in the first few months.
Don't get me wrong, I loved D2, but I didn't want to feel like I was shelling out top dollar for something that sounded like it wasn't even beta worthy.
Still waiting for an article that says "D3 finally fully playable!"
Sounds like it might be getting there.

G

LOL the ONLY way I was able to get passed nightmire was to use the auction house for everything. good thing you can sell your gems and turn it into gold. Still though, on inferno I cant even play it unless I willing to pay real money for auction house items that do enough damage....

2 options to get stuff. Grind or auction house. Since the game is basically built around grinding after you beat the story. Buying things from the auction house just means you get to play less.

bluestar2k11

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2011
"players acquiring most of their gear through the Auction House is a definite issue."

How did they not see this coming?
What kind of idiots do they have working for them?

Of course it's a problem, this was seen by most people before the game even launched. If players can buy their gear rather then spend 12 weeks farming it, of course their going to do that, every time! Why do you think MMO's have brokers and their wildly used? People want the easy way, and they'll spend money to get it. Which is why a lot of people don't craft.

Kami3k

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2008
Uh, so the whole reason you wanted online only play, is now something you DON'T want?

Right, just like Tim Cook didn't want to sue Samsung but when Jobs died he did nothing to stop them.

Blizzard is now suffering what Apple is, the lost of its cult following.

EVILNOD

Distinguished
May 1, 2008
i think their crafting system too weak compare to D2. gem felt alot more useful in d2, i got tons of fun put blue gem into my amazon bow and freeze the mob around.. you can also got any rune stone combo you want beside rune word.
the skill tree design is much much better in d2 compare to d3. i play d2 3 week right b4 d3 coming out, i must say beside gfx and few new UI d2 is better in every single way. it seems diablo just like movie.. d1 is original idea, d2 is improve and make tons $$$ then d3 turn to sh1t

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]bluestar2k11[/nom]"players acquiring most of their gear through the Auction House is a definite issue."How did they not see this coming?What kind of idiots do they have working for them?Of course it's a problem, this was seen by most people before the game even launched. If players can buy their gear rather then spend 12 weeks farming it, of course their going to do that, every time! Why do you think MMO's have brokers and their wildly used? People want the easy way, and they'll spend money to get it. Which is why a lot of people don't craft.[/citation]

They had to strike a fine balance between finding deer in the gaming using the auction house, I haven't played Diablo three but I played Diablo two, and I played torchlight two

From I understand some of the rarest items in Diablo two are one in 1 million chances of having it drop, this is good if you want to extend the life you game at the insanely high-end, but it also makes grinding and people just selling their loot more common. I'm really interested if Diablo three really is that much different than the Diablo II on the loot drop scale.

Because in torchlight two they didn't make the game for to be a grind fest they made it for you to play it over and over again, so they made the hard to find loop easier to get to the point where it's not that much of a grind.

While saying is that like to know if it's really Diablo threes fault that people use the auction house or if it's that people of gone so impatient for the grind that if it's just easier to use the auction house they use it.

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
Yep... Diablo 3 is like a pay per pixel paint program where you are not experiencing the journey of the game, but paying to create the end result.

Beating the game is also meaningless. Your choices and skills and gear have no real effect on your chance to beat the next difficulty. You just farm a bit and buy better gear.

farm, farm, farm, farm, farm

It's true that there was money involved in D2, but not at this level and not to the point where the game was but an appendix to the trading. Sure some kids did nothing but farm to make some money, but now everybody has to farm just to play the game. I saw this happening before the AH was monetized even. And the AH was incredibly clunky. My thought at the time was that Blizzard should have learned by now how to create an AH interface from their experience with WoW. I honestly think they did that AH in the last week of development. Even by the time I stopped playing there were features which needed to be completed still. Right there staring at you, but you could not use them, because they had not finished the effing game yet.

Reminds me of the story of the baker who charged a guy for smelling his bread. I wish I could go back in time and make them listen to the sound of my money, because noway would I have actually paid for the game if I knew it was going to be a waste of time.

kinggraves

Distinguished
May 14, 2010
Complete and utter bullshit. They not only designed the game around the AH to maximize their profit, they stated from the beginning that was their intent and that there was nothing wrong with the RMAH. Activision has made it clear in the past that customers are just wallets to be robbed. This is just a smokescreen to prevent people from leaving to copycat games. They aren't satisfied until they get every last dime they can.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]BigMack70[/nom]They don't sell deer in the auction house.The difference between Diablo 3 and Diablo 2 (I haven't played TL so I can't speak for that) is that in Diablo 2, loot is interesting, and in Diablo 3 it's not. So in Diablo 2, you could get useful gear that happened to not be the rarest high level gear in the game. In Diablo 3, you more or less can't. In Diablo 3, every character basically farms for gear with increasingly close to perfect rolls on:+primary stat+vit+res all+critThat's what you call a snoozefest. And you have no idea how bad the drops are in D3. It's not an issue of patience - it's an issue of the game balance and drop rates CLEARLY being designed with the auction house in mind. If you're not using the auction house in Diablo 3, you're doing it wrong, by design.[/citation]
yea... due to the worsening pain in my hands, im relying on dragon 12 more and more now... i dont catch every mistake it makes, and its not 100% setup yet...

now to your second point, all those drops come from somewhere, which means that someone went thought he game when it was harder, and got the better gear so they could farm better gear without relying on the AH

but i do get what you are saying...

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
The last great RPGs were Dungeon Siege 2 and Titan Quest. Those were still created with a passion for RPGs. It often feels like everything after that suffered either from Consolitis or GreedyPublisheritis (or both).

I mean look at Dungeon Siege 3 compared to Dungeon Siege 2!!! O.M.G... That was like seeing an Olympic champion devolve into an amoeba. I don't think there is a scale of measurement that can describe just how far backwards that franchise slipped.

I really feel that there is a great gap for indy development of proper RPGs. I mean the big publishers these days mostly just rely on generating a lot of hype to sell max copies and then micro-transactions to squeeze even more profit out of their lacklustre titles. I'm honestly starting to mistrust any game with micro-transactions. Gaming used to be better before it. Fair, fun and satisfying.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Awesome game, still playing it on the final and last character (the Barbarian) ... it was a great game, mindless for the most part but no different from any other mindless 3D shooter. But why did people "need" the Auction house to finish the game? I've finished it 4 times already going thru all the levels hit level 75 for each character ... not once did I "need" anything from the Auction house.

The_Trutherizer

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2008
[citation][nom]V8VENOM[/nom]Awesome game, still playing it on the final and last character (the Barbarian) ... it was a great game, mindless for the most part but no different from any other mindless 3D shooter. But why did people "need" the Auction house to finish the game? I've finished it 4 times already going thru all the levels hit level 75 for each character ... not once did I "need" anything from the Auction house.[/citation]

Many of us object to the mindlessness. Blizzard's hype before the game implied a rich RPG experience. I guess I should have realised they were planning something less when they mentioned the health orbs dropping during combat.

I recall games like Chronosphere which actually required some thinking, where every battle was a strategic challenge to overcome. In Dungeon Siege 2 you had tons of secrets to discover, the least of which makes D3's poor attempt at a bonus level look like the work of amateurs.

Status
Not open for further replies.