Blizzard Entertainment Offers ‘World of Warcraft: Legion’ Preorder Perks

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anarkie13

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2015
What I've never understood is the whole "buy a character" or being given a max level character. Isn't leveling up a part of the game anymore? Imagine Skyrim where you just walk through the game because you're essentially in instant god-mode. No more playing the game, more like watching it.

Larry Litmanen

Reputable
Jan 22, 2015
That is a smart strategy. You encourage people to buy before any significant reviews come out.

The hype is there because it is a big game, much like Starwars and Cod (both got about 70% rating from PC Gamer), but buyer is locked in before the final review.

These game developers are smart people.

What I've never understood is the whole "buy a character" or being given a max level character. Isn't leveling up a part of the game anymore? Imagine Skyrim where you just walk through the game because you're essentially in instant god-mode. No more playing the game, more like watching it.

Unfortunately WoW has changed quite a bit. Leveling is so quick from 1-100 that it is a joke. The questing areas are completed so fast you don't experience the full story before moving onto the next area. With looking for dungeon auto groups and such it just isn't entertaining at all. They also want to bring back old players that quit so they can play with their friends.

hdmark

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2015

it depends what you want to do in the game. for me (and ive been playing since the game came out), I only do end game content. I leveled through a few times with a few characters, but I never want to level again. it gets REALLY boring by the time youre on your 4th or 5th character. I know the storyline and don't want to grind through again. the free character boosts are nice because you can jump into the game at current content (or close to current) and enjoy the character without spending 2-3 weeks grinding .

the 2 things I do not like about it ... 1- you get players who have never played that class trying to join groups and failing hard because they never learned how to play that class while leveling. and 2- new players to the game don't get to level up and learn the game at all .

for me... I love it because ill bring up a new class that ive never tried but would never want to level :D

Linda_13

Reputable
Nov 18, 2015
The struggle to save Azeroth will bring you to the depths of Helheim (Vrykul hell) and immerse you in the Emerald Nightmare (about time). Plenty of familiar faces that were made popular in the fan-favorite Burning Crusade expansion return with new purpose and power, giving long-time World of Warcraft players chills at the mere mention of characters such as Illidan Stormrage, Alleria and Turalyon.

Of course game devs are smart, they make games people want to play.
And of course it makes sense for blizzard to allow you to buy a character at max level:
You get bored of the game sooner and dont cost them money in server costs.
And you still paid the full price+the character+the level.

But because noobs see hardcore gamers showing off at how good their gear and chars are, they want to be respected the same way and buy stuff for real money.

Here is the catch: the respect comes from hard work, not from buying out.

In other words, its a genius move from devs, of course immoral or unethical as well, but if people didnt want it, they wouldent buy it, right?

BadBoyGreek

Distinguished

As some others have said, it's primarily geared towards those who have leveled multiple characters over the years that just don't want to do the grind all over again, as it gets uber repetitive, and also for the casuals who used to play and want to just jump right back in. One of the other main reasons was for Blizzard to discourage the illicit third parties offering pay for leveling services.

Bulliwyf

Reputable
Nov 19, 2015

At this point, the idea of the free boost is "Buy the game and go play with your friends who already play" and not "Buy the game and spend 4-6 weeks getting caught up to your friends, harassing them the whole time to help you go faster".

Alot of people advocate to the new players to save the boost and level the hard (right) way, it doesn't take that long and you will be better off for it, but you have to admit, no matter how fast it goes, 100 levels before you can do current content stuff is daunting.

Steven_28

Reputable
Nov 20, 2015
I've played the game for years now. I boosted a warlock to max (at the time it was 90 when I purchases Warlords expac) and I still had to make another one and level it to around 60 so I was comfortable with the spells and rotations. Even for a veteran, the instant boost on a class you have never played is a bit overwhelming.

Status
Not open for further replies.