Blizzard Introduces BattleTag as Real ID Alternative

Status
Not open for further replies.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
having to have a 4digit code attached to my name just makes this lame. All they have to do is have me pick my handle, assign my player profile a 16 digit guid that's not displayed on my name but is associated with it, and then I can do anything on any blizzard game with one name and possibly even save my configs etc to a cloud storage system.

halls

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
The RealID system didn't show your full name to all your friends, just the ones that you shared your B.net e-mail address with. You could still add in-game friends, but they couldn't see if you were signed into another Blizzard game - RealID friends can.

Been playing the Beta for D3 and it's extremely fun. Can't wait!

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]shin0bi272[/nom]having to have a 4digit code attached to my name just makes this lame. All they have to do is have me pick my handle, assign my player profile a 16 digit guid that's not displayed on my name but is associated with it, and then I can do anything on any blizzard game with one name and possibly even save my configs etc to a cloud storage system.[/citation]
Actually the 4 digit code won't be displayed.

kcorp2003

Distinguished
Aug 30, 2010
All the attention focus is on Origin now. I remember when Battlenet and Steam was an issue.
However i really want to play this game. I'm almost done with Skyrim, waiting for mass effect 3 to finish the epic fight :)

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
For Blizzard to have done this, Real ID must have been a failure or else Facebook would be opposing this vehemently. The question is will they let Real ID die like they should, I will they try to implement it in some other way.

doorspawn

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]*ahem* in4b the fanboys. NO BUY IF ITS NOT ON STEAM....[/citation]
How can you be before yourself? Steam fanboys are as bad. DRM lovers all.

doorspawn

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
Actually, no buy fullstop if we're talking D3. It's like WoW minus MMO, free-look, complexity, with a smaller world and RL-money-for-functional-items. It has better graphics, but that's all.

Benihana

Distinguished
Nov 21, 2009
Just to point out, but Blizzard has not "killed off the Real ID system". From the FAQ link posted in the article:

"Do BattleTags replace Real ID? Can I create new Real ID friendships?

BattleTags are a new feature separate from Real ID. Real ID will continue to work as it always has, and you can continue to create Real ID friendships with people you know in real life."

tuch92

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2009
And for half a second I thought they were saying you could use your Battletag as a "real ID" in real life.
"Sir, can I have your license, registration, and Battletag?"

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
i dont understand what was bad about real id... can someone tell me?

i mean seriously my name is kyle harder in real life, and im as much a prick to people online as i am in real life.

realistically, you cant find me if you are casual about it, but if you want you could search my name enough to find aliases attached to it, and honestly anyone can do this with enough work, and find out where i live... my information has been on the internet sense i was 10... are people really worried about others to the extent that their real name cant be used on a forum... realistically, id theft is about the only thing you should worry about, and most of that happens through dumpster diving and other things you have no control over.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]kcorp2003[/nom]*ahem* in4b the fanboys. NO BUY IF ITS NOT ON STEAM....[/citation]
Your post makes no sense. Unless you're trying to tell us all that you're the first fanboy to post....

Not sure why people's lives revolve around steam, but I'll stick to buying directly from Blizzard....

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]sykozis[/nom]Your post makes no sense. Unless you're trying to tell us all that you're the first fanboy to post....Not sure why people's lives revolve around steam, but I'll stick to buying directly from Blizzard....[/citation]

i wont not buy it from blizzard if i get it, but i would rather have it on steam, you know, keeping my collection in one place and all.

jezus53

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]i wont not buy it from blizzard if i get it, but i would rather have it on steam, you know, keeping my collection in one place and all.[/citation]

Yeah, on a disc, in my room...

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]Benihana[/nom]Just to point out, but Blizzard has not "killed off the Real ID system". From the FAQ link posted in the article:"Do BattleTags replace Real ID? Can I create new Real ID friendships?BattleTags are a new feature separate from Real ID. Real ID will continue to work as it always has, and you can continue to create Real ID friendships with people you know in real life."[/citation]
No one has suggested they have killed of Real ID. But Real ID was done in partnership with Facebook. Facebook was making money off it. For Blizzard to implement a parallel service but using aliases has to mean Real ID has not been as successful as they wanted, in other words not being used by that many people, or Facebook would have vehemently opposed Blizzard creating competition to it.

And the fact is, if you know anything about Real ID you know Blizzard has always been hypocritical about the "it's for real life friends and family" argument. In the Blizzcon announcement they suggest using it with guildies, in the patch notes that introduced Real ID into the game they say to use it to "form friendships" inside the game. Now, forming a friendship means making a NEW friend. How do you form a friendship where one already exists? Not to mention the friends of friends feature was not optional when Real ID came out. Then they were going to force it's use on the forums. Is everyone who uses the WoW forums either real life friends or family? I don't think so.

So this entire Battle Tags has been done because it's a lot closer to what people really wanted.

stoogie

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2010
This battletag may be good, i mean with it we can have multiple characters with the same name as they are linked to your 'battletag' which is 1 name, instead of having different names for every character WHICH I HATE!!!

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]i dont understand what was bad about real id... can someone tell me?i mean seriously my name is kyle harder in real life, and im as much a prick to people online as i am in real life. realistically, you cant find me if you are casual about it, but if you want you could search my name enough to find aliases attached to it, and honestly anyone can do this with enough work, and find out where i live... my information has been on the internet sense i was 10... are people really worried about others to the extent that their real name cant be used on a forum... realistically, id theft is about the only thing you should worry about, and most of that happens through dumpster diving and other things you have no control over.[/citation]

It was never about ID theft. It was about using real names serves no purpose. It was about Blizzard being hypocritical about the whole "it's for real life friends and family" argument and them never using it.

Honestly, name just one thing where a real name is useful over an alias? There is none. Does your real life friends and family not already know who you are? They should. Not to mention, if you only use it for real life friends and family, that means only a very small portion of the community could ever make use of the service, so what was the point?

And several people during the whole initial debate on the subject gave out their real names too thinking because they couldn't find themselves on a Google search, that was the only way they could be found. Well, there are plenty of people search sites out there, free ones too. Several who gave out their real names being all cocky like you just were, ended up getting a call just minutes later from people saying "Hi, guess what, you can be found".

And if you play WoW you know there are a number of jerks who get angry, seriously angry, over nothing. It will only take one person being hurt over something game related for Blizzard to be in seriously legal trouble. So that goes back to the fact that there just serves no good purpose to using real names.

There was only ever one reason they used real names and that was because of their partnership with Facebook. Read any article even here on Tom's and you will see how Facebook is all about ending anonymity. And, if you read Blizzard's privacy policy, if you use Real ID, Blizzard can share your information with Facebook who then can turn around and sell it to marketers as they are not bound by Blizzard's agreements with their customers.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]jezus53[/nom]Yeah, on a disc, in my room...[/citation]
cant play it off line, whats the point of have a disc?

[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]It was never about ID theft. It was about using real names serves no purpose. It was about Blizzard being hypocritical about the whole "it's for real life friends and family" argument and them never using it.Honestly, name just one thing where a real name is useful over an alias? There is none. Does your real life friends and family not already know who you are? They should. Not to mention, if you only use it for real life friends and family, that means only a very small portion of the community could ever make use of the service, so what was the point?And several people during the whole initial debate on the subject gave out their real names too thinking because they couldn't find themselves on a Google search, that was the only way they could be found. Well, there are plenty of people search sites out there, free ones too. Several who gave out their real names being all cocky like you just were, ended up getting a call just minutes later from people saying "Hi, guess what, you can be found".And if you play WoW you know there are a number of jerks who get angry, seriously angry, over nothing. It will only take one person being hurt over something game related for Blizzard to be in seriously legal trouble. So that goes back to the fact that there just serves no good purpose to using real names.There was only ever one reason they used real names and that was because of their partnership with Facebook. Read any article even here on Tom's and you will see how Facebook is all about ending anonymity. And, if you read Blizzard's privacy policy, if you use Real ID, Blizzard can share your information with Facebook who then can turn around and sell it to marketers as they are not bound by Blizzard's agreements with their customers.[/citation]

not cocky, just dont care...
most people who get angry in an online setting, are being made angry by a douche bag...

take everquest, in its peak, people would train your camp area to kill your group off and take it for themselves. its not funny just annoying, people generally don't get angry if you don't screw them over.

that said i could see one psycho killing a kid over loot they ninjad

but at the same time, its not hard to find people over aliases.

if the facebook crap was true... well its annoying, but its not that bad. i dont use facebook, and i hate it, but some people just take their not likening it to a retarded extent.

they sell my infromation and what i look at... o well, they are giving me how good of a free service in return? i dont like it but some people couldn't live without it anymore.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]cant play it off line, whats the point of have a disc?
not cocky, just dont care... most people who get angry in an online setting, are being made angry by a douche bag...take everquest, in its peak, people would train your camp area to kill your group off and take it for themselves. its not funny just annoying, people generally don't get angry if you don't screw them over. that said i could see one psycho killing a kid over loot they ninjadbut at the same time, its not hard to find people over aliases. if the facebook crap was true... well its annoying, but its not that bad. i dont use facebook, and i hate it, but some people just take their not likening it to a retarded extent. they sell my infromation and what i look at... o well, they are giving me how good of a free service in return? i dont like it but some people couldn't live without it anymore.[/citation]
But you still don't answer the big question...what is the point of using real names? Name one benefit it offers. Your real life friends and family already know your name. And if it restricts peoples usage because of limiting to real life friends and family, then the service is gimped and not as useful as it could be.

And yes, it can be hard to find someone using an alias if that person does not give you any idea of where they are. Unless you use some tools to track IP addresses, and if that person does not use dynamic IP addressing through their ISP, it may be possible, but that's a lot more difficult. And if someone did find out that way, Blizzard could not be held responsible.

The fact is Battle Tags will provide infinitely more useful than Real ID, if it provides the same functionality such as grouping cross realm. This can actually bring a little bit of the sense of community that the game has lost since BC back to it.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]But you still don't answer the big question...what is the point of using real names? Name one benefit it offers. Your real life friends and family already know your name. And if it restricts peoples usage because of limiting to real life friends and family, then the service is gimped and not as useful as it could be.And yes, it can be hard to find someone using an alias if that person does not give you any idea of where they are. Unless you use some tools to track IP addresses, and if that person does not use dynamic IP addressing through their ISP, it may be possible, but that's a lot more difficult. And if someone did find out that way, Blizzard could not be held responsible.The fact is Battle Tags will provide infinitely more useful than Real ID, if it provides the same functionality such as grouping cross realm. This can actually bring a little bit of the sense of community that the game has lost since BC back to it.[/citation]

well, take my little brother as an example, to strangers he acts like an angle, but around family he acts retarded and is the most unlikable person i have ever met, he is 14 and decided to pick his nose, put it all in his hand, and while im sitting watching tv, decided to throw it at me. i told you that, because its a common thing he does, its annoying, but common. online he is... well... worse to them than he is to us... but if his real name was online, im fairly confidant that he wouldn't be... well... the way he is. if you tell him you are going to hack him, he believes it, if someone knows his real name, he would think twice before doing the crap he does.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]well, take my little brother as an example, to strangers he acts like an angle, but around family he acts retarded and is the most unlikable person i have ever met, he is 14 and decided to pick his nose, put it all in his hand, and while im sitting watching tv, decided to throw it at me. i told you that, because its a common thing he does, its annoying, but common. online he is... well... worse to them than he is to us... but if his real name was online, im fairly confidant that he wouldn't be... well... the way he is. if you tell him you are going to hack him, he believes it, if someone knows his real name, he would think twice before doing the crap he does.[/citation]
All your story does is prove my point. It's a limiting feature. It is also not an example of enhancing gameplay which is what a game feature is suppose to be. Since your brother won't want his real name known, he is less likely to use Real ID. For one thing, you and your family and his friends know how he is, so whether or not he uses an alias doesn't affect the interaction between him and thise he knows in real life.

My entire point was Real ID as implemented was never intended to help the player base, it was intended to be used as a tool between Activision Blizzard and their partner in it, Facebook. And your example does not disprove that point.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]All your story does is prove my point. It's a limiting feature. It is also not an example of enhancing gameplay which is what a game feature is suppose to be. Since your brother won't want his real name known, he is less likely to use Real ID. For one thing, you and your family and his friends know how he is, so whether or not he uses an alias doesn't affect the interaction between him and thise he knows in real life.My entire point was Real ID as implemented was never intended to help the player base, it was intended to be used as a tool between Activision Blizzard and their partner in it, Facebook. And your example does not disprove that point.[/citation]

my point is that if real id was forced like they were planning, you might not have that one douchebag screaming every obscenity into a mic he can remember and who isn't griefing you.

Status
Not open for further replies.