Blizzard Nukes Another Game in Progress: Titan

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avus

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2001
Blizzard = 3 hits wonder... that's it, nothing more...

It just makes you wonder why small (poor) developers have many ideas but big guys like Blizzard has so few? too much $$$??

pacdrum_88

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2014
They may be a 3 hit wonder, Warcraft, Starcraft, and Diablo, but all of those games are genre defining and were certainly revolutionary when they came out.

none12345

Distinguished
Apr 27, 2013
If they want to be known for making great games. They need to take a serious look in the mirror. They have been making too many misteps for too long.

Diablo 3 is not a great game, its an ok game. But a great game is something special, and d3 is pretty bland. And thats the problem. They think that d3 is great, its not. It wouldnt take all that much to make it great, but more then 2 years on they still havent realized it.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
SC2 was pretty good, but D3 wasn't. Warcraft hasn't seen a non-mmo release in over 10 years. If they are really serious about making games they need to come up with some new games, not just sequels of their 3 existing series, though I would totally be down for a Warcraft 4. Titan should have been their new big game as it has been hyped for so long, but now they don't really have much in the pipeline other than the next WoW/SC/Diablo expansions.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
@Avus They have more than 3 hits. Warcraft and World of Warcraft are pretty different games. I'd say they're a 4 hit wonder if you want to count universes instead of actual games.

Blizzard may have had 4 major hits, and sequels, but what has made Blizzard special is that they do not release unfinished products. They do not rush, and as a result, the games have have are very good. Diablo 3 may have seemed like a big cash grab with their auction house, but if you ignore that, it is still pretty good.

sad31

Reputable
Sep 24, 2014
Sorry but how hard is it to think of a game that going to be the best in the industry? So far all of them have been the same. Your telling me its so hard that you cant do different now. Come on blizzard, really? Just admit it, it is financially not in your best interest to actually waste money to create the worlds greatest game like you use to do.

The fact they nuked this after years of costs shows it isn't about money. If it was only about money, they would have just rush finished it and sent it out. The only logical answer to what they just did is that they simply didn't like what they had created so far and pulled the plug, money be damned.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
1 million dollars, that could create 10 indie games, 10 million can fund 100.

take 10 million dollars, and give it to 100 indie devs, and let them make the games, find the ones that have the most promise, and put them as lead devs and give them 10 mill for their next game as a budget.

wow did i just outline how to make new ip on the cheap?

in the case where they make a game but cant finish it in a reasonable time, take a look at the hype behind it, and see if its worth putting real man power behind it.

beetlejuicegr

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
Titan is Destiny, unfortunately i can only think of this and many others agree with me.

Some of us believe that Titan was supposed to be a Blizzard game but something happened in the agreement with Activision and blizzard buying back themselves. I believe Titan project was paused and canceled for the public but in reality blizzard made the game for bungie, at least some elements and that was part of the buyout agreement (prepare an mmorpg for activision / bungie). It can't be coincidence that Blizzard canceled the whole project few days after Destiny going live. Also another speculation was, that in the buyout there could be a rule that blizzard won't make another mmorpg of sci-fi If activision has the rights of another mmo.

Also WoW continuing success gives no space for other mmorpg from Blizzard. It is what people say, WoW has to die before blizzard throwing out another MMO. But WoW is up and kicking and to be honest i feel it will take 10 years more for players to go under 1 million!

Most likely we will see a WoW 2, who knows perhaps a World of Blizzard with classes from Diablo Starcraft etc :p

beetlejuicegr

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2011
Diablo 3 RoS is a great game, they implemented with the content patches loads and loads of stuff inside, i find myself playing 1-2 hours daily and casually and actually enjoying the grinding.

Diablo 3 is an example that must be taken in consideration. Some friends, actually a couple, were into Diablo 2 too much. When Diablo 3 appeared they bought it instantly of course but they were saying "diablo 2 was better"
However they kept playing, now with RoS (the expansion) and the content patches they have stopped whining and they enjoy themselves. Long story short, it took some time for Diablo fans to forget D2 and it took Blizzard 1 expansion to make D3 better success than D2.
Same thing will happen with WoW 100%.

rarichorig66

Honorable
May 19, 2012
They may still have some genre defining stuff, maybe something called "Full spectrum game world" But they have to keep in mind that they have the same development time as a motion picture. About 1=2 years before the SOTA/ geitzeit has passed them by.

master9716

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2006
All blizzard did is recycle WoW over and over , They say they don't want to be known as an MMO company , well that's the company that made them rich , at this point they know they are a failure for any future games, all they can do is recycle Diablo . The good thing is that they didn't release Titan , it would have made them money but atleast they show they care about actual quality.

condorxiii

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2011
I agree with @pacdrum_88 they made three universes and those universes defined genres of games forever. To compare them to indie developers is completely unfair. We can't stand on the sideline and beat them up for it when the money and investment of time and passion to take a risk building a game in an area that revolutionized a genre, then have the build up of your name from the previous one and do it AGAIN and then decide you're going to step out of the box and build ANOTHER game that changes everything would be INCREDIBLE pressure. Sure, the sequels and follow-ups weren't as good as the originals; SC2 is good but not SC1 and D3 is not D2 but my point is we can't expect them to make industry changing revolutions EVERY time. Instead, I'm glad there is company that TRIES (don't forget their human) to make amazing games every time and might not revolutionize on every release but they refuse to release something they aren't proud to put their brand on just to make money. It's no secret if they release Titan they would probably make money back, but they would hurt there name if it wasn't Blizzard worthy. Good for them for keeping themselves in check and making games to make good games that are so good, they sell. Not relying 100% on their name to sell games (I'm looking at you E.A. - sorry, couldn't resist one uppercut at them). While I would have loved a new game from Blizzard, I would rather another Blizzard quality game.

fadeese

Honorable
Oct 27, 2013
Personally I don't mind the sequel thing till its gets to yearly refreshes just making cash grabs: CoD, Assassin's Creed, every sports game ever made, etc... blizzard puts out a game and supports it well for long past its selling point. Boot up D2/SC and can still play them online, try playing any other "online" game from the 90s

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
"Instead, Blizzard wants to be known for making great games, such as StarCraft II and Diablo III."

Ha, Diablo III was a decent game at BEST, not great. The reality came nowhere near the expectations of many though after 2 years of ad-hoc Diablo 2esq features patches in I suppose it's okay.

Let's face it. Blizzard milked out their big three franchises and has nothing left. Well, except Hearthstone which is just another fork off the Warcraft lore.

So many haters...

Blizzard can make MONEY, that is what it has and always will boil down to.
They know WHAT makes money, and what does not.

Sure D3 wasn't, sure WoW needs to be scrapped and modernized, sure Starcraft 2 is a clone of Starcraft.

ALL of those games made them major moolaa.

joe gamer

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2010
"Blizzard wants to be known for making great games, such as StarCraft II and Diablo II(fixed)."

"but it would likely wander over to the Xbox One and PlayStation 4 much like Diablo 3 has done."

Pick one, you can't have both.

TheGreatWarMage

Reputable
Jun 29, 2014
Blizzard does make great games, and their support for those games is fantastic to say the least. They make expansions which actually add to the game, rather than DLC on day 1 like so many others. And if major changes are needed, they supply them without charging, something that others should start doing.

If they scrapped this game, it was for good reason. And like so many here, saying it was Destiny, than it was a good thing they did scrap it...I have heard bad things about that game.

All of their games were hits, some more than others, and it is best for them to keep that record up to distinguish them from the crowd.

Oh and ya, WarCraft 4! Let's get a move on it!

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS