Blizzard Responds to Concerns Over Real ID

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Real ID is already in WoW. It invaded awhile ago. Supposedly there will soon be a user generated mod that allows people to see other peoples real ID, their actual name, by clicking on their character; and the only way to stop that is to turn off the feature using parental controls.

Blizzard really opened a can of worms with this one.

moonwine

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2010
Here's what I don't get from these kinds of articles. You notice the brouhaha, you notice the jist of what Blizzard is implementing, but instead of doing any research into it whatsoever you parrot the line that the company is feeding you.

Yes, it's optional to use it on the forums. Do you know how? You can choose not to post.

So, there goes guild recruitment threads. No bug reports. No feedback on game systems. No customer service forum or technical support forum. No exchanging of stories. No ability to ask questions of other players, or theorycraft, or exchange ideas. We've had these things since 2004 and built a great community from it, regardless of what forum nay-sayers say about the volume of garbage.

In one day, Blizzard announced they were taking all of that away and destroying the community. Unless you want to use your real name for every post. It's not about cleaning up the forums -- it's about the profit they're going to make by sharing data with Facebook.

The whole story: get it before you write an article.

zachary k

Distinguished
May 14, 2009
tin foil hat time! if people know my real name, ninjas will kill me in the night!
grow up, it is not a big deal. you tell people your name all the time in polite conversations, lets hope this forces people to act like a human.

halls

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2010
This was really a punch in the gut from Blizzard. They used to reassure players that their personal information could be trusted to them. It was even against their TOS for the forums to post personally identifiable information.
I enjoyed my time in WoW, but I never thought privacy concerns would be what made me quit. They're definitely not going to stop at the forums with this RealID crap.

tleavit

Distinguished
Jun 28, 2006
I quit wow several years back.. Driven off by all the angry 13 year olds that play the game and flame endlessly (including in game) and going off on smoking pot all the time. I was pushing for this very thing a long time ago. Good for them, maybe the kids will behave when you can google search their name and send an email to their parents telling them that they failed.

As long as you don't troll and act like a retard you should be fine. Not sure what the problem is. I don't post in the forums so I don't care. Unless I need help or advice. Maybe looking for guild ... I personally think they should make it mandatory.

Lan

Distinguished
Mar 29, 2004

Yeah, and what of prospective employers that look you up and find you on WoW? Or who knows who or what else that could find you. Using full real names is a bad idea. At least give the option to hide the last name from showing. It would be much better for everyone that way.

osxsier

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2009
I agree with Lan...if I am up playing WoW all night and call off sick, i dont want my employer finding out that I am in game. :mad:

BulkZerker

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
No actually, trolls won't give 2 ***** if you know where they live or what their name is, they are trolls... what thiss does however, is enable the trolls to do trolling outside of the forums. Ever have a troll call you after they camped your corpse? Now you will. Way to fail blizard, this is worse than the mpaa going after dead filesharing pirates

Godfail

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
[citation][nom]moonwine[/nom]Here's what I don't get from these kinds of articles. You notice the brouhaha, you notice the jist of what Blizzard is implementing, but instead of doing any research into it whatsoever you parrot the line that the company is feeding you.Yes, it's optional to use it on the forums. Do you know how? You can choose not to post.So, there goes guild recruitment threads. No bug reports. No feedback on game systems. No customer service forum or technical support forum. No exchanging of stories. No ability to ask questions of other players, or theorycraft, or exchange ideas. We've had these things since 2004 and built a great community from it, regardless of what forum nay-sayers say about the volume of garbage.In one day, Blizzard announced they were taking all of that away and destroying the community. Unless you want to use your real name for every post. It's not about cleaning up the forums -- it's about the profit they're going to make by sharing data with Facebook.The whole story: get it before you write an article.[/citation]

They are not making profit from Facebook for sharing data - maybe you need to get the whole story?

Otherwise, believe it or not, there are other forums on the internet where you can post with your anonymous name and find guild members. You can do bug reports natively from the game client and via email. Tech support is also done via email and phone. This may not be known to you because you don't seem to have the whole story, but not everyone that plays the games even uses Blizzard's forums. I'd say that, considering there are 20-30 million Blizzard accounts of one form or another considering the volume of game sales and WoW subscriptions, less than 10% use the forums...and the true number is probably far less than that.

Fact of the matter is, you're creating a worst case scenario - my advice is to wait and see how it works out before you start the Chicken Little routine.

Godfail

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
I'd also like to add that Blizzard has been looking for ways to force you to use Real ID type of functionality since Facebook was just an infant. Nintendo and Blizzard both have been preaching about removing anonymity from their services since 2003, not for profit reasons, but for the community's benefit. If you're a hermit and are concerned about people knowing your real name, come up with a stage name and stick to it.

Godfail

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
[citation][nom]BulkZerker[/nom]No actually, trolls won't give 2 shits if you know where they live or what their name is, they are trolls... what thiss does however, is enable the trolls to do trolling outside of the forums. Ever have a troll call you after they camped your corpse? Now you will. Way to fail blizard, this is worse than the mpaa going after dead filesharing pirates[/citation]

Actually, this will eliminate trolls much more effectively...ever had a person follow you in the street harassing you with absolutely no chance of any real consequences? I wonder why that is? And if it were possible to find your real name from the game client, why wouldn't they have already found your email address and mail bombed you? Why do you think there are people on here who don't really care either way? Are we just "stupid" for thinking this will work?

Dirtman73

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2009
[citation][nom]Godfail[/nom]Why do you think there are people on here who don't really care either way? Are we just "stupid" for thinking this will work?[/citation]

No offense, but your faith in the Real ID system is pretty naive. There is no way that its implementation in WoW's forums is going to be a smooth ride. Just the fact that Facebook is involved behind the scenes should tell you something...

teeebs

Distinguished
May 11, 2010
[citation][nom]TommySch[/nom]I am Dick Cheney from now on.[/citation]

I'm sure that name will be deemed inappropriate, as it may be HIGHLY offensive to some people.....lol

Godfail

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
[citation][nom]Dirtman73[/nom]No offense, but your faith in the Real ID system is pretty naive. There is no way that its implementation in WoW's forums is going to be a smooth ride. Just the fact that Facebook is involved behind the scenes should tell you something...[/citation]

I wouldn't say what I have is called faith so much as "who the f*** cares?". But on the topic of naivity, making such extreme judgements such as "no way" is just that. Facebook being involved the scenes is going to do what? Give away your credit card information? I've got nothing to hide, so I don't care...and if you do care, I'm really wondering why.

Vestin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2009
[citation][nom]Godfail[/nom]If you're a hermit and are concerned about people knowing your real name, come up with a stage name and stick to it.[/citation]
Actually - it seams to be quite the opposite: a hermit won't give a damn if people know his "real" name - no one cares about him anyway, so there won't be people to make a connection... or even a connection to make (if he avoids social networking sites).
The only people affected will be the social ones, those who lead "double lives" and wish for them to remain as far apart as they can be.
I still oppose the idea, but for purely aesthetical reasons.

Godfail

Distinguished
Mar 15, 2010
[citation][nom]vestin[/nom]Actually - it seams to be quite the opposite: a hermit won't give a damn if people know his "real" name - no one cares about him anyway, so there won't be people to make a connection... or even a connection to make (if he avoids social networking sites).The only people affected will be the social ones, those who lead "double lives" and wish for them to remain as far apart as they can be.I still oppose the idea, but for purely aesthetical reasons.[/citation]

A hermit doesn't want people to know he exists, so I would say the definition fits. But what you're saying is also true.

My picture of the type of person afraid to have his name associated with what he says on the internet is about the same as someone who is afraid to use iTunes because you need to give them your credit card information. I usually picture a guy living in a shack on a mountainside somewhere in Arizona.

Let me just say this: If you say things on the internet that you don't want associated with your person, don't post on Blizzard's forums. We won't miss you there, to say the least. Otherwise, if you're a gamer who wants to discuss the game, not the latest youtube video, you should have nothing to fear.

One thing that Blizzard should implement is that the forums be private and only accessible with a registered Blizzard account. This will eliminate Google searches and worries about employers.

Blizzard is not stupid, and they're gamers themselves, they're not trying to screw us all and they still want you to post on their forums. I'm getting the feeling that many people here have no idea what a living hell Blizzard's forums are.

And finally, if you haven't heard of email leaks from within Blizzard's games, I don't see how you'd worry about names leaking. And even then, what is it that so many are afraid of about people knowing your name? You have to realize that the odds of you having a unique name are far less than they are for the gaming handle you use, right? If you Googled me, you wouldn't know which of me I am.

freename

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2009
Through a bug they've introduced in the latest patch (I assume it's a bug) people are reporting that installed mods have access to peoples RealID information if the person hasn't enabled parental controls.
Now.
As in, already live.
So a mouseover of a character in game will tell you their real name.

So who want's to take the blame for taking the WoW cash-cow out back and shooting it?

Status
Not open for further replies.