Blizzard Responds to Lawsuit Over Authenticators

Status
Not open for further replies.

steve360

Honorable
Feb 20, 2012
It's always the company's fault when the victim so happens to click on dodgy links and submits their account credentials directly to the hackers.

Jigo

Honorable
Oct 8, 2012
..but i got an email from wow-account-service@email.cn which said my account was hacked !?

/lulz off

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
This is hilarious, cars come with basic security and can optionally be upgraded with beefier alarm/electronic keys ect ect... how is this different? Basic security is there in the form of a login + password, if that ain't enough because some people are brain-dead and give the information away free in a false login screen that promises everything from free toothpaste to free lobotomy or use the password 123. Do the same brain-dead people give away their car keys to a criminal who say he needs to service the car and then blame the car maker for their own short comings!?

That is what appears to be the case here, blame the developer for their own stupidity!

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]thecolorblue[/nom]Bilzzard cannot claim they have a free app as an excuse because not everyone has smartphones.How hard is it to use logic[/citation]

Blizzard offers free apps for smartphones that can be used to authenticate the user's credentials when prompted – the physical $6.40 version is merely an optional accessory for those who can't/won't use the apps.

waxdart

Distinguished
May 11, 2007
Didn't have any of this bother with single player games. Can we have some good anti-social games back please? I work with others all day long and other from far away call me on the phone. I don't like them anymore.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
[citation][nom]steve360[/nom]It's always the company's fault when the victim so happens to click on dodgy links and submits their account credentials directly to the hackers.[/citation]I guess u must have forgot the news about D3 hacks when it launch.

ironmb

Distinguished
Mar 11, 2011
No amount of security can fix dumb people clicking on fake emails.

Oh Aunt Jennie is sick and this random company needs my credit card?! OK I'LL HELP! People who get hacked deserve to get hacked if they're dumb enough to fall for those types of scams.

nicodemus_mm

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
[citation][nom]thecolorblue[/nom]Bilzzard cannot claim they have a free app as an excuse because not everyone has smartphones.How hard is it to use logic[/citation]

Judging by the "logic" of your first statement, it must be pretty damn difficult to use. Thanks for the demonstration.

G

Bull, I ignore all spam mail and yet my battle.net account was hacked when I hadn't used it for months.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
Wel they have started to offer free authenticator app, that's right. (it wasn't there from the beginning though) But:

"You can read our letter to players and a comprehensive FAQ related to the situation on our website."

Right. That's what I do all day long. Go to Blizzard site to read comprehensive FAQs.
Even though they know my email, they didn't bother warning about breached security, nope.
Email is only for newsletters, you know.

So they had a problem.
They didn't bother admitting it in personal emails, even though it was VERY important.

manicmike

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2012
Tom's Hardware - Free Common Sense Internet Security 2011

Courtesy of SR-71 Blackbird, forum Moderator here at Tom's... One of the ONLY tech related pieces I have EVER read that is still as relevant today as it was when posted (6-24-2011).

I can't tell you how many people I've forwarded this to/read it to. I've been using Common Sense Internet Security for YEARS now, it's great. 100% free, hell you don't even need a computer to use it! It covers phone and mail scams too!

The link (if you don't trust me):
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/242300-49-free-common-sense-internet-security-2011

kellybean

Honorable
Nov 11, 2012
[citation][nom]Thomas Creel[/nom]This is just silly, a lawsuit?What is wrong with people.[/citation]
Too many ambulance chasing lawyers, even Jesus had a warning for lawyers in the Bible. Tells me they were scumbags back then too.

thecolorblue

Honorable
Jun 5, 2012
[citation][nom]nicodemus_mm[/nom]Judging by the "logic" of your first statement, it must be pretty damn difficult to use. Thanks for the demonstration.[/citation]
explain yourself.

as for my comment... Blizzard claiming that there is a free alternative cannot count as a legitimate explanation BECAUSE the alternative has a prerequisite... namely ownership of a qualified device. Not everyone owns such devices, therefore the attempt to slime by with that explanation as an excuse falls flat on its face.

They'd be better off not proffering that excuse at all.

LORD_ORION

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2007
Wait, if the paid version is $6.40

The "free" version is $699 (iPhone 5) + Free App Download?

Regardless the suit is a good thing... Activision is an unreasonable company and the only thing that makes them take action is answering to share holders.

Fokissed

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
[citation][nom]thecolorblue[/nom]explain yourself.as for my comment... Blizzard claiming that there is a free alternative cannot count as a legitimate explanation BECAUSE the alternative has a prerequisite... namely ownership of a qualified device. Not everyone owns such devices, therefore the attempt to slime by with that explanation as an excuse falls flat on its face.They'd be better off not proffering that excuse at all.[/citation]
Most people own a SMS capable device.

Fokissed

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
[citation][nom]LORD_ORION[/nom]Wait, if the paid version is $6.40The "free" version is $699 (iPhone 5) + Free App Download?Regardless the suit is a good thing... Activision is an unreasonable company and the only thing that makes them take action is answering to share holders.[/citation]
Any device that supports SMS will work. There are more to cell phones than the iPhone 5, however some may not know that.

yeesh

Honorable
Nov 14, 2012
For the record, Blizzard isn't the only company offering "authenticators" as an optional method of security. Google's two-step process requires users to add an additional code to their login that is texted to their smartphone. ArenaNet has an option allowing Guild Wars 2 users to confirm their login by way of an email each time they want to play.
Uh, the lawsuit isn't about the concept of 2-step authentication, it's about the money charged for the physical device. Those two examples are not relevant since (I presume) neither Google nor ArenaNet charge users for access to the extra account security those login methods provide.

kelemvor33

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2006
Probably some lawyer convinced someone to start this suit. Lawyers are the only ones who make money off class action suits. However this is completely lame. No different than Google or Dropbox using 2-step authentication.

Neve12ende12

Honorable
Sep 24, 2012
[citation][nom]stevelord[/nom]Blizzard does have an SMS feature that is separate from the authenticator...........[/citation]

So I have to pay $0.99 everytime or I want to log in or $20 a month for a text messaging plan?

Status
Not open for further replies.