Blizzard Says Single-Player Games are Endangered Species

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rohitbaran

Distinguished
[citation][nom]mortsmi7[/nom]So to sum up this article... The less money you have, the more likely your company will be to innovate because you can't afford to fail. But somehow less risk in involved. Indies will be the new AAA makers.I think Blizzard could learn a few things about innovation from IBM and Intel. Blizzard no longer wishes to move forward. They should sell themselves off to EA.[/citation]
You really believe that selling to EA part? EA isn't 'the knight in shining armor' for the gaming industry innovation exactly.

assasin32

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2008
[citation][nom]rohitbaran[/nom]You really believe that selling to EA part? EA isn't 'the knight in shining armor' for the gaming industry innovation exactly.[/citation]

I think that was the point EA is where companies go to die off after they lose the will to produce anything good.

leongrado

Distinguished
Oct 10, 2010
Yes Blizzard. Justify you keeping your annoying F***** DRM. Companies that could care less about the customer after they're forked over their 60$.

timaishu

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2010
I never once have ever bought a game for the multiplayer unless multiplayer was the selling point(thinking battlefield series). I bought Halo for the story, I bought GoW for the story, I bought GT5 for single player, etc.

The day games stop being made with a campaign is the day I stop buying videogames. Why would I buy CoD 20 when its going to be the same crap as 4.

This is also partially why the only games I buy now are RPGs. Amazing story lines and zero multiplayer.

tobalaz

Honorable
Jun 26, 2012
If single player was dead, I wouldn't have stood in lines for hours with 200+ gamers to pick up pre-ordered copies of Skyrim and Borderlands from a Gamestop.
Last time I checked the Grand Theft Autos and Saints Row games did pretty well.
Games like Morrowind, Oblivion and Skyrim last forever because of user created content. They're epic to begin with, but giving users the options to make mods is what gives games staying power, single or multiplayer.
But when they said single player was dead, are they talking about true single player games or games capable of being single or multiplayer?
Honestly, I dislike multiplayer games, I play a game to get away from all the idiots and the last thing I want to hear is a 8-12 year old swearing at me over Xbox live because I just fragged his ass.

jamoise

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
with regards to the F2P and Subscription based model, they both work very well depending on how its all implemented. Blizzards subscription based model works just because of the sheer content it has and they keep adding more. some F2P works well.. for example "World of Tanks" free to play, but you can buy "gold" to purchase premium time so you get a bonus to XP and credits earned every battle. buy premium tanks, purchase "gold" rounds for your tank to fire. there are slight advantages to everything you actually purchase with gold but nothing that i would call overpowering.

madrich

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
keep providing new items, quests, and outfits and you'll have a never ending journey for people to keep playing and spending their time on.

uglynerdman

Honorable
Mar 8, 2012
if blizzard is finished with singleplayer games well im done with blizzard... simple as that really. Hello cd projeckt! games like the witcher 1 and 2 elder scrolls games.. etc. they get my money. i didnt buy d3 because of how we have toe be online, how they wanted this whole real money auction house etc. im tired of companies like blizzard and EA are trying to milk every last penny you have for their games and tiny bits of content.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]XZaapryca[/nom]Normals vs Heroics. You've obviously never played WoW. It's funny when your comment about my example demonstrates how little you know about the subject. lol[/citation]
Normal versus heroics? Sorry, but there is no content difference between the 2 and Heroic mode is not that hard. All heroic mode does is give the mobs more health and lets them do more damage and adds in a couple of extra mechanics. Once you learn the added mechanics, it all becomes easy again. That's the problem with WoW, it's merely memorizing the pattern of the fight.

And the sad thing is, you can't do heroic mode until you down all the content in normal first. Only in Uluar could you choose to do HM first as each fight had something to it to enable HM, such as the button in Mimiron's room. And since gear from heroic mode isn't needed to advance to the next tier, many people don't see any need to do heroic modes since it isn't new content. Let's face it, heroic mode Arthas is still the same Arthas you killed in normal mode ICC. it's not his more powerful twin brother. And for that reason many see it as nothing more than to keep people busy rather than enjoyable content so don't bother with it.

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]jneutzejr[/nom]The one thing about wow is the constant flow of new content, and the tech support. Is it worth the subscription fee? That would depent on the individual. The problem I have with wow, is that you still have to pay a "retail" price for the client and main line expansions.As far as single player games on the decline, I can see that. Almost all games are sold with the requirement a social network client like steam or origin. Piracy is an issue, but most people that are actually going to play a game to it fullest will still by the full version even if they did download a pirated version. What I can't see is buying a game for $60.00, playing if for a week and then being done with it forever. That happened when I bought Need for Speed: the Run. I finished it in weeks worth of casually playing it. Haven't touched it since. But games like Skyrim are well worth the money and continue to deliver an epic gaming expierience long after they have been released. These games are far and few though. WOW is popular only because of the constant flow of new content (in between expansions) and the online social environment. It is diverse for both casual players and those that are obsessed. Single player games are on the decline not because of lack of social interaction, but because in most of them, players ether get bored with them, or consume the content very fast and they just are not worth the retail price.[/citation]
There is no constant flow of new content in WoW. Have you even played WoW since BC? I was part of the betas for BC and Wrath and while BC had a fair amount of content added, Wrath had less than half the content they talked about during beta for that expansion. Cataclysm had THREE content patches in nearly 2 years. The first of which was merely a rehash of 2 previous raids rereleased as level 85 5 person dungeons brought back merely to put the mounts back in the game.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]edogawa[/nom]I have a hard time believing piracy really hurts companies that bad. With steam you've got so many good deals I can't imagine people would pirate games anymore(unless the game is just pure garbage); if someone does pirate games anymore it's sad I think.I kind of wonder why console games don't have serial codes for accounts yet too, they lose so much money on people trading and selling used games.[/citation]

well, i live in america, so you have a grasp of where my thoughts come from.
come games never make it to other parts of the world legally, and if you buy a game in those areas, odds are you are just buying a pirate coppy
or in cases where games are censored for violence, you cant legally buy the game from your country and get the best version.
or in cases like australia where games are effectively banned because there was no M equivilant to the rateing system.

there is one game that is in america, that really got screwed over because the developer went under, game went unsupported, and even though there is an expantion, and someone bought rights to the game, they refuse to bring it out.

[citation][nom]matt_b[/nom]I've said the same thing about their ability to release innovative and quality content that isn't a rehash of the same old formula that used to work just to earn a quick buck - for awhile now. I can understand the piracy thing, but it comes back to the fact that those that truly pirate on a noticeable scale, KNOW what they are doing and any new DRM is just another obstacle that they will eventually find a path around. This comes back to just hurting your average consumer (ie: limited install, jumping through hoops just for activation, constant internet connection, etc.). Free to play can be applied properly, but I've also seen it implemented more to where if the user "didn't" buy this weapon, character, vehicle, map/level pack or whatever, then the developers have made it so that gamer feels sorely at a disadvantage or purchasing said items is intrusively spammed. I know there are some that do it right, TF2 sort of comes to mind with the economy it created. Yet the play "experience" is exactly that of others that have paid. There is no weapon that owns all, no maps you're missing out on (community created and the Valve ones are all free), no augmentation that makes you player that much better - hats? I feel if as he says, FTP gives the user a "taste" of the experience, why do we have demos for so many titles then?[/citation]

diablo 3 drm... untill we get server software and crap like that, is effectivly unpirateable. and its sustained by the rmah, otherwise this level of server involvement would be an mmo charge if not more.

[citation][nom]matt_b[/nom]The Elder Scrolls are the absolute hallmark when it comes to single player as well as replay value. Add to it the community tools for ordinary users to mod and add content, you have an absolute jewel of a model that practically no one follows. Not to mention the fact that these things have about a 5 year development cycle, that's a ton of time and effort put in to one game that for me, feels every bit worth what their asking price is. As for the 8 hour play experience, that's the norm unfortunately - but I think this is THE reason the single player campaigns are being made extinct by players. I cannot tell you how many titles I've been psyched-up for, read the review of a 5-10 campaign, and said F-that for $50/$60. What's a real shame is the extinction of (what used to be the norm), the 25-40 hour campaign titles. Or should I even say, what's a bigger shame is when games were actually challenging. Anyone old enough to remember when you beat something it was news worthy to your buds, whereas now it's, "Yeah, I beat it in xx hours".[/citation]

old games, either arcade like games made to be hard to take time, many of these games take less than 1 hour to beet.

old games, some of them were rpgs, where the grind is a huge factor. these rpgs uses grind to over extend their gameplay by up to 30 or so hours. i believe ff7 was something like 45 minutes to 8 hours (i forget which) if you played a character that was already well geared.

than we come to more modern games. where base gameplay for any game is 4 hours minimum on a 60$ game. you started to see games that came out and could take 40-80hours but it was still more common to have a game take less than 10 hours

you forget that alot fo a games value was its replay ability, and co op back in the day.

sure there were pc rpgs and text based adventures that took a long time, but much of that was randomly generated, and text based adventures were more or less books that could be played as fast as you read.

[citation][nom]XZaapryca[/nom]Don't like MMO's or WoW? That's fine. Doesn't take skill? You haven't a clue. I often take one of my geared toons into an older dungeon with people that are roughly around the same level as me, but are clearly far more casual. They do nothing right, QQ a ton and I laugh my ass off at how inept they are. Quite entertaining. However, I do agree that MoP dumbed down the game even further. Story and game play are lacking in all the current FPS's I've tried. Hope Doom4 and/or HL3(PLEASE?) will revive the genre.[/citation]

um... no... mmos are simple, you played with morons who dont know how to play their class, and its blizzards fault for allowing them to level up like that without knowing the basics of their class.

ill go back to everquest for a moment, i was playing a shadowknight that was tanking 20-50 mobs at once that can all hit in the 2000-4000 range, and can hit up to 4 times per round, that is what someone who knows their class can do...

or as a mage, i was tanking names with my pets that were hitting in the 10-15k range. and successfully killing them.

and this was the bare minimum game play skill you needed to have at the high end in that game. i dont care who you were, if you made it to the high end, you knew your class well enough to either do the damage, do the dps, or heal us when we were going down, and if you played a utility class, how to help the party... its wows fault for letting morons level up, not that they are stupid, they were just never forced to learn to play the game.

and ill give you normal groups is a bit different than raids, but point still stands.

[citation][nom]ttg_avenged[/nom]No no and no. Single player is more than alive and striving on PC. (Ironic.. was playing Skyrim literary 2 minutes ago.)It's because of two factors that single player is "dieing". 1. Too many little kids play games, particularly Xbox/PS3, and they have the attention span of a fly, so they have no "time" to play SP. So the developers drop the bomb on smaller SPs.2. Let's face it, single players and FPS's are a little, difficult to make. the story line always seems to get a little bland, and it is too much work for developers these days.. they would rather develop quick and easy small-ass maps (COUGH CoD COUGH) and charge arms n legs for 2-4 maps.[/citation]

painkiller - you died, and you want either in heaven or back to life, i forget which, so you become heavens hitman... you dont need story for that.

fps games like that are more or less geometry wars but on a 3d plain (i cant remember older games... crash tv? to make that example)

sadley this style of fps, no matter how fun it is, is dieing for a more military style games. which lets be honest, are only good for online play.

XZaapryca

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
[citation][nom]wildkitten[/nom]Normal versus heroics? Sorry, but there is no content difference between the 2 and Heroic mode is not that hard.[/citation]
Boss fights can have some big differences. Ozruk in Stonecore comes to mind. Knowing your class, the instance and doing the right thing at the right time is the definition of skill. Some people don't have it. Just because you do doesn't mean it's easy. Maybe you're just a badass.

Relative to FPS type games, MMO's can seem simpler. However, running and shooting is pretty simple too. You know the map and can work a mouse...easy. Same with RTS. 200+ APM is just as simple as anything else. A person is just clicking on the right stuff at the right time like any other game. None of this is as hard as flying an F18 or fighting Jet Li.

BTW, I don't agree that single player games (AAA or no) are endangered.

darkavenger123

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2010
The correct title: "Blizzard is an Endangered Species.". Just look at Starcraft 2 and Diablo 3....same old stuff with revamped graphics. No wonder they're going the way of the dinosaur.

BigBodZod

Honorable
Jun 1, 2012
[citation][nom]BigMack70[/nom]I buy so many games for $5 or less over Steam that I'm only mildly interested in that it's crazy. I was never into pirating games, but I pay for and play many, many more games on PC than I did before Steam started running their various sales. I don't pay full price for games very often, though. Skyrim was the last full price game I bought.[/citation]

As do I, however, I have been shooting everything in site in Borderlands 2, so much.

Also picked up Torchlight 2 as well, this is the game that D3 should have been but instead was an EPIC FAIL :(

zeratul600

Honorable
Mar 11, 2012
yes sir, thats why rovio and other developers are getting broke while your games increase their numbers.... i hate playing with other people, i am sure that a los of people feels like me so, if you dont produce single player other people will do it and my money will fund them... and ill love to know how much money did you lost to piracy??? and how much do you lose from angry people who hates being online to play diablo 3

aggroboy

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2010
[citation][nom]back_by_demand[/nom]You can swipe away piracy by only releasing games via Steam, then the issue of it being single player is not the issue, this idiot just wants to line Blizzards pocket with another subscription MMO[/citation]
Steam doesn't stop piracy

wildkitten

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
[citation][nom]XZaapryca[/nom]Boss fights can have some big differences. Ozruk in Stonecore comes to mind. Knowing your class, the instance and doing the right thing at the right time is the definition of skill. Some people don't have it. Just because you do doesn't mean it's easy. Maybe you're just a badass.Relative to FPS type games, MMO's can seem simpler. However, running and shooting is pretty simple too. You know the map and can work a mouse...easy. Same with RTS. 200+ APM is just as simple as anything else. A person is just clicking on the right stuff at the right time like any other game. None of this is as hard as flying an F18 or fighting Jet Li. BTW, I don't agree that single player games (AAA or no) are endangered.[/citation]
Sorry, that is most certainly not the definition of skill. For one thing, Ozruk isn't a raid boss as Stonecore is a 5 person. Not that it matters, only means he has far fewer mechanics to worry about. All you do is cast a damage over time spell when his Bulwark is up so you don't get frozen. It's pure memorization, not skill.

And comparing it to what a fighter pilot does is sheer ignorance. A fighter pilot has to be trained how to handle unexpected situations, not to mention they fight a real person who is doing things that aren't scripted to happen at certain times. An F-18 pilot is can't go by "This Iranian pilot is going to bank left when he takes 25% damage".

bigdragon

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2011
Blizzard is wrong. Single player games are not an endangered species. What's really going on is that the big publishers are going to abandon focusing any sort of significant effort on single player games. This trend has been going on for a while. What I predict they'll eventually find is that a strong single player game is a competitive advantage to a company's IP portfolio. It would be foolish to abandon what has driven the industry for decades in favor of the latest design ideas.

The big publishers are run by people getting older. They're run by bean counters. Studios like Blizzard started out as passionate developers focused on creating something to be proud of and to share with the world, at a reasonable fee of course. Now those same driven people are leaving the industry being replaced by people relatively fresh out of college with little real world experience and no history of building a company from the ground up. The real story here is the departure of veteran talent across the industry and the newbies who think they know it all. What worked in the 1980's still works today, but it should be part of a diversified portfolio. Driven individuals can still break into the industry and form their own companies. Let companies like Blizzard back away from the risk -- someone will replace them.

G

BILLZARD YOU CAN SHOVE IT! You conned be into buying Diablo 3 and I don't expect you to realize your mistake. You destroyed a legendary series. Never forgiving you for that!

Status
Not open for further replies.