Blizzard Selling WoW Pet to Help Superstorm Sandy Victims

Status
Not open for further replies.
There are a LOT more than 14 pets and mounts Blizzard has in WOW, unless this is only talking about the ones you can buy with real money. Class move by them. They may also think about donating a bit of the gagillion dollars a month they get from subscription fees.

"Currently Blizzard offers fourteen virtual pets and mounts for the popular MMORPG, spanning the Winged Guardian to the Pandaren Monk to the Moonkin Hatchling to the Guardian Cub. Three of the fourteen are actual physical plush toys which come with a code that unlocks its virtual counterpart. These pets and mounts are not part of the Superstorm Sandy effort, only the upcoming Cinder Kitten. "

officeguy

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
I thought this was really nice of them but... Really, they just can't donate out of their own pocket, (out of the goodness of their heart) ooohhhhh nooooo. They should match what the people pay and then donate the money.

hate machine

Honorable
Jun 14, 2012
[citation][nom]officeguy[/nom]I thought this was really nice of them but... Really, they just can't donate out of their own pocket, (out of the goodness of their heart) ooohhhhh nooooo. They should match what the people pay and then donate the money.[/citation]

It would be better if they matched the donations. Instead they are just riding off the donations of others.

dotaloc

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2008
[citation][nom]spartanmk2[/nom]I want a companion cube[/citation]Talk about not pulling your own weight. Blizzard would have to implement a rope-tie so you could pull that thing along with you and slow your movement speed by 20%.

G

What's wrong with people these days. Blizzard does a good thing and they still get criticized for being charitable? Blizzard as a corporation could give money all they want, but they're giving their fans a chance to donate for a good cause. You guys need to fix your morale compass seriously if you think what blizzard is doing is wrong.

InvalidError

Titan
Well, it isn't like they are required to donate anything either and whatever they would donate even if it was "out of their own pocket" would still inevitably come out of Blizzard's player base anyhow. Many people who get the Cinder kitten would have gotten it even if there was no donation associated with it. The donation simply turns a frivolous expense into a good deed.

Blizzard pledging the whole $10 to Red Cross does mean Blizzard is at least eating the development, promotional, administrative and billing costs. This is effectively a low-cost PR stunt.

schiwing

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2010
Blizzard/Activision asks for $10 for a pet.
Players buy said pet; however, item compensation is not a donation.
Blizzard/Activision turns around and hands all those $10 purchases to the Red Cross for which Blizzard/Activision can use as a tax write-off.

bllue

Honorable
Aug 15, 2012
This is pathetic. They're literally taking all the money generated and donating it for tax write offs. They're not losing any money but actually gaining by doing this weasel move. It's not their money, it's people's money and all they're doing is transferring it to make it look like it's them donating it. Activi$ionBli$$ard for you

Achoo22

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2011
[citation][nom]velosteraptor[/nom]I suppose i understand all the blizzard bashing; but hey, at least they are doing something. I dont see any other gaming companies pitching in whatsoever.[/citation]

Because if you don't see it, it doesn't happen. Right, puppet.

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]schiwing[/nom]Blizzard/Activision asks for $10 for a pet.Players buy said pet; however, item compensation is not a donation.Blizzard/Activision turns around and hands all those $10 purchases to the Red Cross for which Blizzard/Activision can use as a tax write-off.[/citation]

they get a tax write off,
people who wouldn't donate end up donating
and people who need money get money...

tell me where anything is wrong with this?

Draconian

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2012
[citation][nom]hate machine[/nom]It would be better if they matched the donations. Instead they are just riding off the donations of others.[/citation]

Blizzard is donating their time. Time it takes to make the pet, web infrastructure to give you the pet after you've paid for it. And many times in disaster relief situations, Blizzard employees will donate money as well. As far as charitable contributions, I'm sure Blizzard donates, especially since it's tax-deductible.

Status
Not open for further replies.