Blizzard Sues StarCraft II Hackers

Status
Not open for further replies.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Wow, I remember back in high school when I actually wanted to play Starcraft and WarcraftII and Diablo. Thanks Activision, you've sure taken the company in an exciting new direction.

tronika

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
banning is fine with me, but a fine? get some better programmers before blaming everyone else. same with mw2. my god if i can play a game without a waller or aimbot im having the time of my life.

Sabiancym

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
So if I make a controller with a rapid fire mode and sell them, should game companies sue me because others might be using it?

Some people hack for fun against willing players. I know there are CS servers where everyone on them is using hacks and they're open about it. They do it for fun.

Ban the people using them in anonymous games, but that's it.

IM0001

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2006
It is nice to see they really trying to be aggressive against both hackers and the hacks they use. The way SC2 is intertwined both singleplay and multiplayer into one account and keeps with a competitive and fairly robust matchmaker system, hackers and cheaters would easily make the entire system useless and make the game no fun to play whatsoever. Why would anyone who is playing legit want to play after getting Zerg rushed .2 seconds into a ranked game? With a game this balanced and competitive, a few cheaters and hackers definitely can ruin the whole experience for the masses. Sad too how if you cannot learn the game and play, you have to cheat which makes the whole point of strategy and winning pointless.

Zoidman

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2008
Wow that seems extreme, but I can unfortunately understand Blizzard's position, it is true hacking does damage the games value. It causes players (or in Blizzard's view, potential future customers) away from a product with which the sucker... err, customer would have otherwise been enjoying.

Compare it to a movie, if all my friends say the movie sucks, I'm very unlikely to go spend money and see it myself. If all my friends say a game sucks because of hackers, I'm very unlikely to go out and buy it.

bv90andy

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2009
Those hakers only did this for money, without giving a damn about the damage they are causing to the online experience of thousands. So they should get sued. This is why many hakers only develop trainers for single-player.

tronika

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
i like how all of you are always about "FREE WILL" computing and then when this happens you're all against it to get positive points on your account.

really, like i said above, releasing software that can be hacked within hours is something that should be looked at internally. again, all about banning IPs and such but i don't think we are ready to say things like "nail them to the wall" because they didn't spend any time making sure the game is hack free.

im surprised so far by you android loving apple hating fans. i say we blame blizzard before any lowly hackers.

G

apparently the hackers were making some good profits from their scheme. that's where you're gonna draw some legal attention.

tronika

Distinguished
Oct 19, 2010
[citation][nom]curiousgeorgieo[/nom]They should have hired them.[/citation]

see, there you go. finally someone with a good comment.

DrInfested

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2010
I'm glad Blizzard is doing this. Making hack is one thing, selling them is another. I'm glad these morons are getting some comeback from their actions.

G

.....That, in turn, causes users to grow dissatisfied with the game, lose interest in the game, and communicate that dissatisfaction, thereby resulting in lost sales of the game or 'add-on' packs and expansions thereto."

give me a break.. Did Blizzard ever think that these cheaters are wanting to play because of the advantage the cheats gave them? It didnt create "disatisfaction" or loss of interest to play.. it created satisfaction and a desire to play more..

a Ban is appropriate.. Law suit is ridiculous.

tolham

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
[citation][nom]tronika[/nom]im surprised so far by you android loving apple hating fans. i say we blame blizzard before any lowly hackers.[/citation]
there's a HUGE difference between developing software for an open source OS and hacking a game to cheat it.

COLGeek

Cybernaut

Especially if the culprits were profitting ($$$) from the hack. The issue is not whether SC2 was easily hacked. It is a matter to taking something of value and using for another's gain. That is stealing and is punishable. Not a complex issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.