Blizzard Suing StarCraft 2 Hackers

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014
I hate cheaters just as much as the next guy, but at what point will this go to? This smells like the start of Metallica vs. Napster for the computer gaming world.......

My only question is are these people online hackers or playing offline mode and using cheats? If it is the latter then it is just a case of Blizzard being too controlling. If it is the former, then yea I agree.

Still this might be a step too far. Instead of suing why are they not instead finding the loophole and fixing it?

knowom

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2006
Are they suing over circumvention of Warden or copyright infringement the two things are unrelated to one another. What about all the people using bots how come they aren't suing them? 0_o

snipeye

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2011
@Jimmysmitty "the 10 hackers knowingly violated Blizzard's ToU and are infringing on Blizzard's copyright by creating unauthorized copies of the game" The accused are hacking to allow illegal copies of Blizzard's game to be used despite Warden's protection. Not so much as suing for hacking as suing from copyright infringement. But Blizzard wants the hackers' software shut down as well to prevent any further loss of revenue.

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014
Here's the problem I see with suing over hacking. Most hackers don't even use a legal copy of a game, just one hacked/stolen; possibly from someone else's account. So what happens when they go to sue someone based on their account and it ends up being someone who was just a victim of someone else? I know if I was one of those victims, I'd be filing a counter suit and let it be WELL publicly known.

mamasan2000

Distinguished
BANNED
Has anyone ever signed a paper agreeing to the Terms of Use? I haven't. So wheres the proof someone broke that when theres no proof anyone ever even agreed to it?
"By using this software you agree..." Nope, never have, never will.
"By eating this pizza you agree to not throw it in the trashcan, to eat it fully and give a positive review". Good luck enforcing that...

EdgeT

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Has anyone ever signed a paper agreeing to the Terms of Use? I haven't. So wheres the proof someone broke that when theres no proof anyone ever even agreed to it?
"By using this software you agree..." Nope, never have, never will.
"By eating this pizza you agree to not throw it in the trashcan, to eat it fully and give a positive review". Good luck enforcing that...

I think clicking "Agree" or "Accept" counts as a signature.

EdgeT

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
After fully reading the article, I still don't have a clue to who Blizz is suing.

Cheaters or people who play cracked versions on their games on LAN?

Because "illegal copies of the game" sounds like a copyright issue (so bullshit as usual in the corporate world) and "hackers" sounds more like cheaters.

Because seriously, suing cheaters is retarded and also has nothing to do with illegal copying.

But cheating shouldn't be a matter of law, FFS, even if pretty much everyone on the planet, myself included hates cheaters.

What's next? Suing our friends if they move our chess pieces around, thus cheating while we're at the bathroom?

God damn, have all the corporations went completely insane from their mountains of coke already?!

SessouXFX

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2011
After fully reading the article, I still don't have a clue to who Blizz is suing.

Because "illegal copies of the game" sounds like a copyright issue (so bullshit as usual in the corporate world) and "hackers" sounds more like cheaters.

Because seriously, suing cheaters is retarded and also has nothing to do with illegal copying.

But cheating shouldn't be a matter of law, FFS, even if pretty much everyone on the planet, myself included hates cheaters.

What's next? Suing our friends if they move our chess pieces around, thus cheating while we're at the bathroom?

God damn, have all the corporations went completely insane from their mountains of coke already?!
Don't care if it's the cheaters that bought the hack tools, or the Tools that created them, I'm glad Blizzard went after them with full intentions of making them suffer.
Cheating is cheating! And anytime you engage in such activity, you should already know the consequences of your actions.

Sveg

Distinguished
May 16, 2008
Some of you not too keen on the idea seem to forget, and or may be ignorant to the fact of the problems this causes.
Their have been multiple games and online games that suffered heavy revenue loss over this crap.
~Paying Players Leaving that refuse to deal with or compete. <-More so an issue in mmo's
~Online competitive games with dead servers only weeks after release because some exploit was found and the company knew nothing about it over the fact it came on so fast. (80% of those players will not return. They moved on.)
~Server instability cause by the hacks or exploits. And most of the nasty one's are not stumbled upon. They'll spend hours reversing code to find an exploit.
~Stolen software that is still fully supported by a company.
(If they toss it on the vaporware shelf then have at it I say)

And what does all of the above plus many I did not list equate to?
Loss of revenue, Loss of player base, and in some cases a good IP gets considered as failed, and or the micro Dev team no longer has a job because the game and support was shut down years before projection of such actions.

Now what do you think a court would do to an every day avg Joe pulling this in their daily life on the street to a company?
Oh that's right we're on the internet.

By the way. To the guy that made the comment of a middle man being accused.
A simple data log requested from the ISP will show this. Traffic data can tell more about a household then any recovered data from their hardware.
Yes even if it's the neighbor kid stealing next door granny's wifi.

Now before the rest overly jump to conclusions.
They will sue the living hell out of the creator, lifetime ban/delete the accounts that used it, and charge the creator for every person that used it. They will not slam every player/user in court.

EdgeT

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009

Don't care if it's the cheaters that bought the hack tools, or the Tools that created them, I'm glad Blizzard went after them with full intentions of making them suffer.
Cheating is cheating! And anytime you engage in such activity, you should already know the consequences of your actions.

The biggest cheaters are always the ones in power. It's how corporations and governments work. So if THEY aren't punished, why should poor people like us be?

EdgeT

Distinguished
Jan 8, 2009
Some of you not too keen on the idea seem to forget, and or may be ignorant to the fact of the problems this causes.
Their have been multiple games and online games that suffered heavy revenue loss over this crap.
~Paying Players Leaving that refuse to deal with or compete. <-More so an issue in mmo's
~Online competitive games with dead servers only weeks after release because some exploit was found and the company knew nothing about it over the fact it came on so fast. (80% of those players will not return. They moved on.)
~Server instability cause by the hacks or exploits. And most of the nasty one's are not stumbled upon. They'll spend hours reversing code to find an exploit.
~Stolen software that is still fully supported by a company.
(If they toss it on the vaporware shelf then have at it I say)

And what does all of the above plus many I did not list equate to?
Loss of revenue, Loss of player base, and in some cases a good IP gets considered as failed, and or the micro Dev team no longer has a job because the game and support was shut down years before projection of such actions.

Now what do you think a court would do to an every day avg Joe pulling this in their daily life on the street to a company?
Oh that's right we're on the internet.

By the way. To the guy that made the comment of a middle man being accused.
A simple data log requested from the ISP will show this. Traffic data can tell more about a household then any recovered data from their hardware.
Yes even if it's the neighbor kid stealing next door granny's wifi.

Now before the rest overly jump to conclusions.
They will sue the living hell out of the creator, lifetime ban/delete the accounts that used it, and charge the creator for every person that used it. They will not slam every player/user in court.

Read what I responded to the other guy.

Also, that's all cool, but if Mods, Admins and GMs aren't there to handle cheaters, then what exactly are they there for?

That has always been an INTEGRAL PART of their job. Blizzard is shitting itself once more because their games are get this: LESS hacked than the rest.

They design better games than most people so they're harder to exploit. If they'd throw their cash and resources at making even less exploitable games instead of going ballistic with their lawyers, we'd have even less hackers (again, SC2 is seriously not that hacked, I play that shit 5 hours a day, minimum).

Besides, stop being so poor at math. An average person will never have millions to pay all those companies the outrageous sums they're asking for.

So all in all, their "million dollar lawsuits" are worth jack shit.

From an average salary, what will they get? 100/200$ a month, tops? What good will that bring them once they waste so much cash on their lawsuit?

Yeah, sure, the people found guilty are gonna have to pay that back, but who's paying in the meantime? The company? The government? They'll go out of business long before they get the money back. Maybe they'll be able to get the legals fees back, but all in all, it's making EVERYONE lose money AND time.

In short, lawsuits vs individuals are worth jack shit.

s997863

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2007
"What's next? Suing our friends if they move our chess pieces around, thus cheating while we're at the bathroom?
God damn, have all the corporations went completely insane from their mountains of coke already?! "

Yup, but most users seem to support this insanity. You can't argue logic with the equivalent of rabid sports fans who take the game way too seriously.

Like us? Your funny only a few people in the world are hacking SCll and they aren't doing it for our benefit. They are trying to find ways to cheat to gain an advantage they can't get by playing normally like the rest of us do. We all agree to terms when we load and activate the software in some cases multiple times so they know what they are doing breaks the agreement. I say sue them for everything they got, go Blizz get them!

Vlad Rose

Reputable
Apr 7, 2014

Not to mention the bad publicity with lawsuits.

Honestly, it should be the GMs and maintainers of the games to properly handle people hacking (which are security holes in game code). I know in the case of Aeria games, they just ban everyone in the entire room of Wolfteam if even only person is hacking. Me and a friend of mine got banned for reporting hacker. Very poor support by that company and will obviously never get service from us again. Similar bad support for Blizzard for banning a WoW account that I had cancelled 6 months beforehand but a hacker got a hold of that they will never provide any form of compensation for.

Now just think if companies sued everyone that got banned for anything. There would be a ton of innocent people fighting the companies in court that they once supported instead of just boycotting them.

What negative publicity are you talking about the vast majority of us that play SCll are all in favor of their actions. I think its a positive, of course I pay for my games and I don't try to get hacked copies.

Status
Not open for further replies.