Blizzard Talks Titan, WoW Subs Loss to Star Wars: TOR

Status
Not open for further replies.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
WoW now is 8 bosses over and over if your mostly intressted in PvE, its frankly boooooring! Considering they get about 120MIL $ each MONTH from the subscribtions alone i think the end content is way to small.

franky4ro

Distinguished
Sep 14, 2007
i played wow a lot but what swtor has is the heroic areas that are basicaly right smack in the middle of the regular quest/road...it is awsome...it never gets boring:D

alidan

Splendid
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]rantoc[/nom]WoW now is 8 bosses over and over if your mostly intressted in PvE, its frankly boooooring! Considering they get about 120MIL $ each MONTH from the subscribtions alone i think the end content is way to small.[/citation]

everquest, in its prime, only a small fraction of the most elite guilds made it to the end game durring an expansions endgame... i believe it was something like 4 guilds across every server beat the end game content. at least till seeds...

in wow im just guessing that the end game content you are talking about was at least hard to get to and beat, but you have to think of everyone else, how many really make it to hat point. there is a reason there is so little content at the absolute top, because few make it that far.

[citation][nom]beetlejuicegr[/nom]WoW is the first love, you may cheat on her eventually but you always return to her[/citation]

i played everquest sense it came out, so i have some insite on this.

untill you hit the end game, that game has you, and there is no letting go.
once you hit end game group... the game turns into a grind fest that can burn you out faster than any other mmo (you have to re level from 50-51 several thousand times to even come close to killing end game content) because the grind in eq isnt only about gear, but alt advancement. once you hit the end game from the most recent expantion, the game loses its magic... and its so easy to burn out on it...

once you burn out on it, the only thing that can bring you back is a new expantion... however the problem is that even that may not be enough, and your need/want to play the game dies.

mmos are an addiction, but its also one of the few where treatment is overdoseing.

namecnassianer

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2010
Perhaps because of the siphoning of the original (and best?) development talent to Titan, combined with the continuing insistence on mind-numbing low-probability RNG rewards, World of Warcraft has become formulaic, predictable and.... not fun. It is a waste of both time and money.

officeguy

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2009
I think we're going to try to staff up both teams and actually end up with two large, strong MMO teams."
If WOW is losing its people, how can he honestly says they will have 2 strong MMO? Especially in 3 to 4 years when Titan actually comes out. Correction, this is Blizzard. Titan will be out in 4 to 6 years.

of all the MMOs I have tried the only one that has help my interest was EVE. I hate the leveling system of most games, and eve did away with that by really letting me choose what path and game play style I want. Yes, there is still a leveling system, but it is one where you get to choose the direction of your character, and not one where if you smack someone around long enough then you can beat them easier. It's all about having the right skills, and the right equipment, beautifully simple and yet involving at the same time.

rantoc

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]everquest, in its prime, only a small fraction of the most elite guilds made it to the end game durring an expansions endgame... i believe it was something like 4 guilds across every server beat the end game content. at least till seeds...in wow im just guessing that the end game content you are talking about was at least hard to get to and beat, but you have to think of everyone else, how many really make it to hat point. there is a reason there is so little content at the absolute top, because few make it that far.
i played everquest sense it came out, so i have some insite on this. untill you hit the end game, that game has you, and there is no letting go. once you hit end game group... the game turns into a grind fest that can burn you out faster than any other mmo (you have to re level from 50-51 several thousand times to even come close to killing end game content) because the grind in eq isnt only about gear, but alt advancement. once you hit the end game from the most recent expantion, the game loses its magic... and its so easy to burn out on it... once you burn out on it, the only thing that can bring you back is a new expantion... however the problem is that even that may not be enough, and your need/want to play the game dies. mmos are an addiction, but its also one of the few where treatment is overdoseing.[/citation]

They could make more instances with the same setup (rf, normal and heroic), no need to make it very hardcore. Fun that you mention it - played everquest in a hardcore guild (6 raids week with 90% minimum attendance) and its no need for wow to go to that - The keying in eq (Vex Thal or Anguish for instance) alone was a pain.

Wow need more content! Doing the eight over and over with the only thing to look forward is the same gear but with higher itemlevel not even bothered to call them something else. I think they have become to lazy as of late and been taking the subscribers that pays the 120mil$ per month for granted. I hope they shape it up, its a good game at the core - just to little content.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
WoW gets worse. I can't believe 10 million people are still playing it. Its even funnier to read the people who claim that all the people who quit will be back........... LOL No we aren't coming back. The game got too simple and too idiot proof.

MasterMace

Distinguished
Oct 12, 2010
Why would people buy into Titan? I am seriously confused by this notion that people will just hop on board. People pay for a product in WoW, and in return, Blizzard pulls developers from the game and leaves people without content. Why would anybody expect that Titan would be different? Blizzard is just sitting on their cash cow to fund their new favorite toy, that they will get bored with, and so will you, 3 months after it's out.

G

What you have to realize is that every game has problems when it first comes out, especially MMO's. So as half a year passes by, SWTOR will eventually get better. Especially how it's updated weekly. Now, I can't say it will be better, I'm just saying it has a chance to get better. To me, SWTOR has potential, they just executed certain aspects improperly; maybe as BioWare learns, it will become much better.

billybobser

Distinguished
Aug 25, 2011
'Waiting for Mists of Pandaria'

If that is supposed to save wow, they are in worse shape than I thought.

Despite Warcraft ripping off Lotr/Warhammer story wise, it used to have a decent amount of depth, but it's turning into some rediculous child level anime.

willard

Distinguished
Nov 12, 2010
I played WoW for a while, did the raiding thing through the first two expansions. At this point, I'm just incredibly bored with the game. It was fun while it lasted, but it's over.

I played Warhammer briefly and hated it. Aion too. Hell, I even played the Tabula Rasa and Final Fantasy XIV betas, probably the two worst MMOs ever made.

People who are lumping TOR in with these games haven't played TOR. This one has staying power, especially given the number of people who are just sick to death with WoW. The game is honestly good, and has a lot to offer that WoW doesn't.

People just don't care about Kung Fu Panda: The Expansion.

G

"New content, nerf"....... I'm not even sure the delay is long enough that I needed to use the comma. Totally predictable NPC pats. No variations. No surprises. blah blah All these MMOs need to drop the NPC predictability, including the bosses. Things need to be mixed up, a lot more random (NPC movement, grouping, class, number, abilities, etc.) Once we learn the pattern, the only thing left to do is execute on que. Boring. Next Boss. We use the term "rinse and repeat" enough the developers should be able to catch on to the idea "rinse and repeat" is a huge problem.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
[citation][nom]franky4ro[/nom]i played wow a lot but what swtor has is the heroic areas that are basicaly right smack in the middle of the regular quest/road...it is awsome...it never gets boring[/citation]
WoW had the same thing before. Then they dumbed it down, removed a lot of group quests and turned elites mobs to regular mobs in previous content. That's one of many things that made me turn my back on WoW. I understand they made those choices in order for new players to reach the end-game stuff faster, but that's what made it fun to roll new characters. It's also what kept the game feel alive everywhere. Now, every town is desterted until you reach Dalaran (or whatever city is the main hub right now).

magnetite

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2008
[citation][nom]beetlejuicegr[/nom]WoW is the first love, you may cheat on her eventually but you always return to her[/citation]

I quit WoW in January 2011 and never looked back.

thegh0st

Distinguished
Jun 3, 2008
[citation][nom]memadmax[/nom]When Aeon came out, alot of people left then came back.Warhammer, same.They'll be back.WoW will never let you go![/citation]

at least spell it right...it is AION :p (maybe you were thinking of that movie? Aeon Flux I think it was or something)

I seriously doubt SWTOR put a dent in WoW. Any kink in WoW's armor didn't really come from SWTOR. It is fun and I am playing it but it is really lacking compared to WoW. The two things it has going for it are: 1) it is new & 2) it is star wars. that's it plain and simple. when it comes to pvp bioware doesn't even compare to blizzard. I know it's new but it shows big time. it is far from balanced. heck the game didn't even start off with guild banks!

G

I played wow for many years off and on and the game is done i want nothing to do with it. See i realized i spent 4 years off and on i got into the game hardcore status trying to raid every night and get all the sweet gear.. FOR WHAT!!!?? yes it took me 4 years to realize that wow is a stupid game there is no point to what you are doing because in a few months or wtv your going to have to do it all over again. How much weight have you gained? How many friend have you lost in real life? How many jobs have you lost because you would rather call out and play wow? and for what????? So you can suck blizzards titties like a newborn baby are you scared you wont thrive in life without wow??? The game has to die there is no point to continuing doing the same thing over and over again.

zak_mckraken

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2004
@jaydogg1982 : You're playing it wrong. Do you hate WoW because you feel you accomplished nothing in the past 4 years? Why do you play any game to start with then? If you had fun during those 4 years, you didn't waste your time. If you didn't have fun but went through it to had the best gear/ranking/achivements or whatever, then yeah, you wasted your time. WoW doesn't have anything to do with this. It's just a game like any other. It's how you play it that matters.

hythos

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2009
Pandas. Blizzard will lose half, but gain another new 5-10mil from people thinking "Oh look! 8yr old Jimmy likes Shrek and Kung-fu Panda, I'll bet he would like this new game!

Though - they will succeed. They only need to hook parents in to subscribing their kids...

Status
Not open for further replies.