Blob vs spread (applying thermal paste)

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

darkfa8

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
also, what is so bad about the Dynex stuff? Like I said earlier, I've read tons of thermal compound reviews and the temp variance between the majority of popular brands tends to be negligible.

I did speak to the tech at sidewindercomputers and he also suggested changing to MX2 before upgrading any of my fans to higher CFM units...

Great Link, Very Informative!

Put a small dab on the CPU and spread it with an old debit/credit card. Then put a smaller amount on the cooler and spread again.... Re-seat CPU cooler and you are done [:jaydeejohn:5] . Make sure it is a very thin layer and you will be fine....

I doubt that is 100% legit... if it was it would be on the TOP 30 compounds list ;)

Dynex is better than the crap OEM's use, but not better than AS5 or any other high grade compound...

AsAnAtheist

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2009
I will have to second OvrClkr's opinion. Even if it does give similar results to AS5 it has not had the validity of time. Most of Dynex's products are on the cheap side with overpriced tags for the performance give. The only product I have been happy with is a Dynex multimedia keyboard, thats it.

darkfa8

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
...but the specs on the Dynex aren't that far off from those of the AS5.

I'm not sure whether or not its worth buying MX2 or AS5, pulling the cooler to re-apply OR leaving the Dynex and nearly doubling my CPU fan CFM (current: 56.3CFM/24dba)

btw: I applied a thin coat of Dynex to the cooler, filling in the cracks with the supplied plastic card. In setting it on the CPU to be clamped down it did/does slide around because of the rocking motion of the locking mechanism on the Xigmatek HDT-S1283 for my AM3 socket.

Ovrclkr, what were your temps BEFORE you switched to the MX2?

550 @ 3.5Ghz (stock cooler) (OEM paste) / Idle @ 39c - Load @ 48c

550 @ 3.5Ghz (AC Freezer 64 and pre-applied MX-2) / Idle @ 31c - Load @ 39c

550@ 3.5Ghz (Titan Fenir with MX-2) / Idle @ 24c - Load at 32c

The above temps were taken in a room that did not exceed 25c ambient temp.

At the moment I am running my 550 as an x4 B50 (just to give you quad temps) and this is the result :

B50 @ 3.8Ghz <---Daily Clock (Titan Fenir with Gelid Extreme) Idle @ 27c - Load at 43c :

newidle.jpg

load38.jpg

Of course these temps will change once summer arrives, but i wanted to give you an example of what to expect.

darkfa8

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
Overclkr- that looks quite promising.

Maybe I'll change to the Gelid Extreme and a higher output CPU cooler fan and/or higher output case exhaust fan.

I'll be posting some pictures of my new build shortly to get people's feedback on what, if anything I can do to further improve the air cooling without spending a ton of money.

also, to note, I am running in a mATX mid-tower, so things are a bit more cramped and I don't even had a discrete GPU installed yet (looking at HD5750 or 5770)

You should be fine with MX-2, I only use the Gelid for comparison reasons. It shaved about 2/3c compared to the MX-2, not much considering it was twice as expensive. IMO MX-2 is the best paste for the money.

What case do you have?

LoneWolf_53

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009

Yes that's a common occurrence and one that I opted to deal with by adding the odd fan to other orders or purchasing a number of them at once to offset the shipping charges.

Then again if I go to my local electronic parts supplier and purchase a fan their markup reveals the shipping fees included in the price as you pay ten or fifteen dollars for an item listed for six or seven online.

LoneWolf_53

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2009

If those specifications are to be believed it's a decent fan.

My cases come with Coolermaster fans though and I find them noisier than Gelid products but then it's entirely possible that they use a lesser product packaged with the cases and I know they don't turn at 2000rpm.

2000rpm @ just 19db sounds pretty good to me.

adamh9

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2010
I have a q6600 and applied AS5 like the website says, with a thin line right down the middle, my temps are 22C idle high 40s under load with a 3.4 overclock.

darkfa8

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
the reviews on that coolermaster fan weren't that great =\

idk, picking out a fan is a PITA

I posted pics of my rig in another thread and some people have suggested I change my CPU cooler, but I think I can decrease temps with some better fans and maybe switching to some MX2 rather then the Dynex (BestBuy) stuff I have in there now.

If I can drop another 5C+, that would be cool :D

FYI, If you have a local Radio Shack you can snag some Artic Silver 5 or Artic Silver Ceramique they carry it under the Thermaltake label.

darkfa8

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007
i may opt for the MX2 since it's easier to apply and clean up compared to AS5. I can get the MX2 for ~$7 shipped via ebay using bing cashback (8%-off)

Just letting you know its at Radio Shack, not telling you what to buy, I discovered Radio Shack was carrying it on the shelf completely by accident its like $9.00 for a 3.5grm tube, same price for either AS5 or Ceramique.