Block access to selected websites

quad777

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Hi Guys

Heres my problem, i need to block off access to a few selected websites on a single windows 7 Pro PC. I work for this IT Company and i am the senior technician, i need to block off access on a certain PC used by only a Junior Technician as he spends most of his time on certain sites(not work related). I did edit the Hosts file but he eventually figured it out and corrected it. I need a solution that will prevent him from accessing these few sites as it negatively impacts his work (yeah yeah i know i can just fire him, but that's not in me).

Any help will be appreciated

Solution

Remove his admin rights, and change the Hosts file.

Eventually though...if he is unproductive and violating company policy, show him the door. Without knowing the specifics of where he is going, you may be opening the company up to a lawsuit.

quad777

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2009
Had a word with him many times but he stops for a while then starts again(being nonconstructive). We all use standalone Windows 7 Pro PCs and dont have a server(no need for one)

USAFRet

Titan

Remove his admin rights, and change the Hosts file.

Eventually though...if he is unproductive and violating company policy, show him the door. Without knowing the specifics of where he is going, you may be opening the company up to a lawsuit.

Solution

Andrew Stingray

Honorable
Dec 20, 2013
I've been using hosts editing for a while, but it's too hardy to add a new site every time..
So, I've looked for a more user friendly way to block site by url masks and content. One of solutions I love is Work Examiner that offers very simple UI to block any site and even track web usage. I use it in my home network to keep all kids under control.