AMD_Man

Splendid
Jul 3, 2001
I would like to know what is the optimal block size for a RAID? I heard that it's usually the size of the clusters unless you're doing video editing. Is this true? I'm currently running Windows XP with NTFS and my clusters are 4KB in size. I would like to know if a 4KB block size would give me better performance. I'm interested in improving Windows boot up time, business app loading times and game loading times, especially UT!

AMD technology + Intel technology = Intel/AMD Pentathlon IV; the <b>ULTIMATE</b> PC processor

G

Bigger clusters = better performance
64K clusters are best for video editing.
Not sure about the block sizes...

NickM

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2001
<font color=green>"I would like to know what is the optimal block size for a RAID? I heard that it's usually the size of the clusters unless you're doing video editing. Is this true? I'm currently running Windows XP with NTFS and my clusters are 4KB in size. I would like to know if a 4KB block size would give me better performance. I'm interested in improving Windows boot up time, business app loading times and game loading times, especially UT!"</font color=green>
Hi, AMD Man:

I hope this would provide a bit of useful info on your topic also:

Actually, I'm trying to support this interesting thread, I would like to know more about optimal stripe size sombody might know ...

Lars_Coleman

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Actually it depends on what your going to be using the array for. The cluster size shouldn't really be an issue, but the stripe size is.

Check out this article <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.html?i=1491" target="_new"><font color=blue>from AnandTech</font color=blue></A> which explains stripe size.

<font color=red>1GHz AMD x MSI K7T-Turbo x 512MB PC133 x 2-Maxtor 30GB/RAID 0 = Stream Line Butterfly</font color=red>