[SOLVED] Block specific websites on specific devices

testsubject2575

Reputable
Dec 26, 2019
So after some quick google search, I managed to configure my WiFi/router properly, which turned out fine. I found a very useful function which is to block access to websites so every device that is connected to the WiFi cannot access those websites I blocked unless I turn off that function. I did blocked sites, even the mobile YouTube app, but it affects everyone that is connected to the WiFi. I do want to block only specific devices (using their MAC adresses) and leave my PC unaffected by the blocking. Is that even possible? If yes, then how? I have a Huawei B315 WiFi.

Last edited:
Solution
Trying to prevent access to certain websites is exercise in futility.
There is basically unlimited amount of free web proxy servers available. Good luck in trying to block them all.

Only way around this is using white-list - only listed web pages are allowed, all the rest - denied.
This is one of those study the manual things. There is no consistency between brands on how this is done. Some manufacture have different methods on different routers in their line. Sometimes this is called firewall rule and others they call it parental controls.

It should be possible. 2 of the common ways are. There might be rules that let you set the source and destination ip/mac and block or allow them. The other common way is to assign the mac/IP to some group name. Then you put rules in restricting the group. The first method is simpler but takes a lot of duplicate configuration if you limit multiple devices.

Again you are going to have to read the manual to see what option are available to you.

A side note, if you think you are going to block your kids access using stuff like this it only works if they are very young. Older children will quickly find via google how to get past this. Mac addresses can be changed in many devices and some it is trivial to do. Once they rise to the level of using VPN services you have no hope.

Reactions: testsubject2575

testsubject2575

Reputable
Dec 26, 2019
This is one of those study the manual things. There is no consistency between brands on how this is done. Some manufacture have different methods on different routers in their line. Sometimes this is called firewall rule and others they call it parental controls.

It should be possible. 2 of the common ways are. There might be rules that let you set the source and destination ip/mac and block or allow them. The other common way is to assign the mac/IP to some group name. Then you put rules in restricting the group. The first method is simpler but takes a lot of duplicate configuration if you limit multiple devices.

Again you are going to have to read the manual to see what option are available to you.

A side note, if you think you are going to block your kids access using stuff like this it only works if they are very young. Older children will quickly find via google how to get past this. Mac addresses can be changed in many devices and some it is trivial to do. Once they rise to the level of using VPN services you have no hope.
I forgot about the manual, also I've lost the thing. I'll look for a new one and hope that this function exist.

testsubject2575

Reputable
Dec 26, 2019
Yeah that might be a problem. Is there any way to prevent those?