[SOLVED] Blocking Netflix

Status
Not open for further replies.

zerkeros

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2016
I'm writing this as a last resort to a big problem I have: Netflix.
Long story short: I have a 24Mb/s (real speeds = 16Mb/s) connection with an internet TV that saps 7 Mb/s when in use. My sister watches Netflix from laptop or android, that saps pretty much all the bandwidth of the household, even on lowest settings. As a result nobody can use the net when Netflix is in use.
So my question is: is there any way to completely block Netflix from the router? Apparently, talking about it failed as a diplomatic solution... :|

Solution
That feature should do what you want but I have not seen your router before.

You might have to to put in the full url. like www.netflix.com All depends on how that feature works. You really can't block partial URL anymore. Used to be the router could look at URL headers but now that is all encrypted. You only option now is to block via IP address. The router might be to take the string and get the ip and then block it.

You need to look farther and see if there is the option to block via IP address. It might get tricky because netflix is actually not a single IP address.

The other method people use to block this is site called OPENDNS. This is actually trivial to bypass but you could try it.

Since netflix...

Wolfshadw

Titan
I ask because if it were you or her, the answer is simple. You? Cut out Netflix until she pays part of the bill to increase the bandwidth. Her? You do the same. However, since this is a parental issue, then all we can advise is continued talks with him as he's the only one with the authority to apply limitations.

Tell Dad that your Internet is like a 10 lane highway and Netflix is taking up 9 of them.

-Wolf sends

zerkeros

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2016
The whole post is under his agreement. I explained him the situation (coincidentally) giving the same example as you. Since he's not tech savvy at all, he left it on me to resolve the situation.
That's why I'm here asking you, tech savvy, folks about it.

nyxanna

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
Stop wasting time on the forum and log on to your router. You should find details on how to do this on the router sticker where it should also give you the login. Depending on which router you have you should easily be able to find an option there to block out websites.
I however strongly recommend you head to https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/ with your parent and check out if you could maybe simply upgrade your broadband instead. It may cost more but in this day and age people should be able to watch series at home.

zerkeros

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2016
Stop wasting time on the forum and log on to your router. You should find details on how to do this on the router sticker where it should also give you the login. Depending on which router you have you should easily be able to find an option there to block out websites.
I however strongly recommend you head to https://www.uswitch.com/broadband/ with your parent and check out if you could maybe simply upgrade your broadband instead. It may cost more but in this day and age people should be able to watch series at home.

There is a URL filter on my router, that looks like this:
View: https://i.imgur.com/nbKdhXV.png

Still, the site I tested (lego.com/en-us) is still accessible.
Also, the link you provided looks like it's for American companies. I don't live in America, so it's useless to me.

That feature should do what you want but I have not seen your router before.

You might have to to put in the full url. like www.netflix.com All depends on how that feature works. You really can't block partial URL anymore. Used to be the router could look at URL headers but now that is all encrypted. You only option now is to block via IP address. The router might be to take the string and get the ip and then block it.

You need to look farther and see if there is the option to block via IP address. It might get tricky because netflix is actually not a single IP address.

The other method people use to block this is site called OPENDNS. This is actually trivial to bypass but you could try it.

Since netflix is a paid service does your sister pay for netflix herself or is she using a family account. You could have your dad just change the account password and not tell her.

Solution

Wolfshadw

Titan
If you completely block her access to Netflix, what exactly do you think her response is going to be? If there is a universe where she's not screaming bloody murder, let me know. I'll be packed and ready to go in 5 minutes.

Sit with your Dad and contact your service provider. Explain the situation and find out there they have solutions for paring down her network usage.

-Wolf sends

nyxanna

Distinguished
Apr 16, 2011
Netflix series can usually be downloaded to be watched offline. Get her to queue the downloads when nobody is using the internet or is asleep so it does not affect your bandwidth when you are trying to use the internet.

Math Geek

Titan
Ambassador
Netflix series can usually be downloaded to be watched offline. Get her to queue the downloads when nobody is using the internet or is asleep so it does not affect your bandwidth when you are trying to use the internet.

sounds like a pretty good compromise to me as well. download for offline viewing during non-peak times and then she can watch without taking the house's bandwidth in primetime.

Status
Not open for further replies.