Bloomberg flat panel display

I recently purchased a Bloomberg flat panel monitor at a flea market,
but there appears to be no external connections on the monitor other
than a 15-pin male VGA connection. Is it possible to use these
displays with a regular PC?

Hactar

In article <9e68240e.0407311225.696aeaff@posting.google.com>,
Brian Griffin <unneutered@yahoo.com> wrote:
> I recently purchased a Bloomberg flat panel monitor at a flea market,
> but there appears to be no external connections on the monitor other
> than a 15-pin male VGA connection. Is it possible to use these
> displays with a regular PC?

My guess is that it expects a straight-through double-female cable. Call or
email the manufacturer to confirm. They may have an owner's manual on the
web instead. If that's correct, a VGA extender cable may work.

--
-eben ebQenW1@EtaRmpTabYayU.rIr.OcoPm home.tampabay.rr.com/hactar

Unix is user-friendly; it's just picky
about who it makes friends with.

On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 20:45:17 GMT, Hactar wrote:

>My guess is that it expects a straight-through double-female cable.
Call or
>email the manufacturer to confirm. They may have an owner's manual
on the
>web instead. If that's correct, a VGA extender cable may work.

The only problem is, there is no external power connection of any kind
on the monitor. Is it possible for a flat panel display to receive its
power through the VGA cable?

Brian Griffin wrote:

> On Sun, 01 Aug 2004 20:45:17 GMT, Hactar wrote:
>
>>My guess is that it expects a straight-through double-female cable.
> Call or
>>email the manufacturer to confirm. They may have an owner's manual
> on the
>>web instead. If that's correct, a VGA extender cable may work.
>
> The only problem is, there is no external power connection of any kind
> on the monitor. Is it possible for a flat panel display to receive its
> power through the VGA cable?

In general, no. If it's very, very tiny then perhaps something might be
rigged. It may use a wall-wart in which case there may be a very tiny
connector that you've missed or it may be that it's for a proprietary
connection.

--
--John
(was jclarke at eye bee em dot net)

"Brian Griffin" <unneutered@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> The only problem is, there is no external power connection of any kind
> on the monitor. Is it possible for a flat panel display to receive its
> power through the VGA cable?

Not using the standard pinout, no. There is, in modern
VGA implementations, just enough +5VDC to keep the
DDC/EDID stuff running, and that's it. There's not enough
power there to run a flat panel.

Of course, who's to say what happened in some proprietary
implementation - which certainly sounds like what you're
dealing with here.

Bob M.

Find someone or someplace that has the same monitor and see what kind of A/C
adapter they have. Write down exactly what's on the adapter and then check
on the web to buy one.

"Bob Myers" <nospamplease@address.invalid> wrote in message

> "Brian Griffin" <unneutered@yahoo.com> wrote in message
> > The only problem is, there is no external power connection of any kind
> > on the monitor. Is it possible for a flat panel display to receive its
> > power through the VGA cable?
>
> Not using the standard pinout, no. There is, in modern
> VGA implementations, just enough +5VDC to keep the
> DDC/EDID stuff running, and that's it. There's not enough
> power there to run a flat panel.
>
> Of course, who's to say what happened in some proprietary
> implementation - which certainly sounds like what you're
> dealing with here.
>
> Bob M.

Hi, I just saw the previous posts about this monitor and wanted to
offer some help...

I also bought the same monitor from eBay, and just received it
yesterday (Thursday 16th Sept). My hobby is in electronics, so I did
a bit of testing on the monitor, and it does indeed recieve it's
power through the 15-pin VGA connector. (I was as surprised as anyone
else ! ;-)

The pinout I've traced so far is as follows; any signals with a
question mark (?) after it are assumed to be right (as it looks like
it uses the same input pins as a standard VGA connector)...

1. Red ?
2. Green ?
3. Blue ?
4. NC ? (reserved)
5. GND
6. GND (Red Return)
7. GND (Green Return)
8. GND (Blue Return)
9. NC ?
10. GND
11. +V Power IN
12. +V Power IN
13. Horizontal Sync ?
14. Vertical Sync ?
15. NC ?

Notes: The connector shield is also grounded. Pins 11 and 12 are
usually ID0 and ID1, so please make sure they are NOT also connected
to graphics card when monitor is powered !

The ID pins are usually grounded in different combinations on
monitors, to tell the graphics card which type of monitor is
connected. I think you just need to ground ID0 (on the graphics card
side) to set the monitor type to standard colour.

Pin 9 on the graphics card is +5 Volts (VESA standard) but limited
current, as Bob Myers explained, so you shouldn't use it to power the
monitor. (You also really need a power supply of between 8-12
Volts).

This monitor uses a Linear Technology LT1117-5 adjustable voltage
regulator IC. Inside the monitor, the ADJ pin of this IC is grounded,
which basically means the output is set a 5 Volts for the monitor's
internals.

The regulator can take a maximum input voltage of 15 Volts. So all you
need to do is buy a VGA extension cable and a nice regulated power
supply (between 8-12 Volts). Strip the insulation off the VGA cable
somewhere (I'd recommended nearer the graphics card, to keep it
tidier), then splice the power supply wires into the VGA cable on the
correct wires.

You need to find which colour wires inside the VGA cable correspond to
which pins on the connectors. Please MAKE SURE you ISOLATE pins 11
and 12 on the graphics card side from the power supply.

The rest of the signals look like standard VGA, although I'm still
waiting for a VGA cable so I can try it properly.

I have actually powered up my monitor using a 11V (1 Amp) power
supply. The monitor "beeps" twice, the backlight flashes on, then
flashes off again. It looks like it's working fine, but needs a VGA
signal to stay powered on.

The regulator inside the monitor also supplies a maximum of 800ma. The
monitor is likely to only use a fraction of that. So you should be
alright with a 1 to 1.5 Amp power supply.

Hope that helps, sorry for the long boring post. I'll update you when
I've tried the monitor fully.

P.S. The (EXTREMELY HEAVY) stand for the monitor is labled...

BLOOMBERG L. P.
330 WEST STREET
NEW YORK, N. Y. 10014.

God knows how it made it over here to me in the UK !

Are you positive about pins 11 and 12? With normal VGA-connectors pin
11 is a ground for H-synch an V-synch and pin 12 has the funtion of
SDA (don't know the exact meaning but it is connected to the internal
CPU of the display)

In Apples Cube series with the cinemadisplays the use one cable for al
the signals and powers ( power, USB, Firewire, digitalsignal and
sound). Are you shure that there isn't a small plug or hole for an
external powersupply?

Chris

So, whats the progress? Did you make it work? I have the same
Bloomberg-labelled display tho I believe this is just a label and the
display itself was produced by Samsung for example or other company.
So is there a solution how to connect it to standard VGA and whats the
pinout?

Decay

Distinguished
Jan 25, 2003

I also picked up one of these monitors(an 18" sharp lcd) badged
"Bloomberg" it had the monitor cables with it..at the comp. end it has
a female At style 5 pin keyboard plug and a 1/8" stereo jack the wire
into the 15 pin monitor plug. Bloomberg support told me it plugged
into a power supply so I think Ozone is right....from the At plug wire
are a shielded, green, red and bare wires.If I were to hook up your
suggested power supply would one be pos? one neg? should I ground the
shielding?
Thanks in advance.