Bloomberg: RIM to Put Android Apps on PlayBook

Status
Not open for further replies.

AndrewMD

Distinguished
Sep 11, 2008
Okay, didn't Palm try this with iTunes and basically pissed off Apple. RIM needs to make a decision on where they want to be. If it is a hardware vendor like Nokia/Microsoft or a Hardware/Software vendor. Also, who is going to support this? If someone loads an Android app on their Playbook and it does not work, who will they turn to?

joytech22

Distinguished
Jun 4, 2008
Since I don't own a decent tablet to start with, I'll be keeping my eye on this, there are tons of tablets coming out this year and I want to compare them before making a final snap decision.

LuckyDucky7

Distinguished
May 5, 2010
Great! If they expand this to their other smartphones, it gives many people a reason to buy one.

I certainly hope, though, that apps running in a VM are as good as running them on a native Android device.

Either way, it's still good news.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
Sounds good to me! Hopefully they expand this to their smartphones soon too. Blackberry made-in-america quality, along with BBM, secure corporate email, and the fun of having android apps tool. Thats definetely a win-win situation

waylander

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2004
[citation][nom]icemunk[/nom]Sounds good to me! Hopefully they expand this to their smartphones soon too. Blackberry made-in-america quality, along with BBM, secure corporate email, and the fun of having android apps tool. Thats definetely a win-win situation[/citation]

Ummm... no offence but you do realize that RIM is a Canadian company right?

elkein

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
[citation][nom]waylander[/nom]Ummm... no offence but you do realize that RIM is a Canadian company right?[/citation]

Ummm... no offence but you do realize that Canada in in North America, his statement is accurate.

Pretty sure that any time someone says or makes reference to "made-in-America quality" they mean the United States. Otherwise they would say "made-in-North-America quality" :). Stop lumping Canada in with the United States. Last time I checked a map, they were separate nations.

elkein

Distinguished
Mar 8, 2010
I'm making no assumptions, I'm a US citizen and would make that very clear, "American" just has never cut it for me, there is a distinction use it. Just like Ford is an "American" car, often made in Mexico.

southernshark

Distinguished
Nov 7, 2009
I have no problem buying from Canadians or any other country with fair labor standards and adequate environmental regulations (such as the nations in the EU, Canada, Australia, NZ, SA, Japan, South Korea, etc....). I do have a problem buying from a country without those basic protections for the middle class, which unfortunately includes Mexico (and China obviously).

That said, I wish they would make a 10" model or better yet a 14" model.

mordac35

Distinguished
Oct 8, 2009
That would seal the deal for me. That is, if it is true. This is the only brand my company will support. I just hope they get the price right.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
Why is RIM so worried about Dalvik? There's nothing illegal about it. It's as legal as the reverse engineered Phoenix BIOS was back in the day. RIM would have had absolutely nothing to fear by using it. Oracle's lawsuit is totally baseless.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
Yeah I meant North American. One thing I like about RIM is that they provide high paying jobs throughout North America, and don't outsource a whole lot to China. I can't say the same about Apple, HTC and other big phone manufacturers.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]icemunk[/nom]Yeah I meant North American. One thing I like about RIM is that they provide high paying jobs throughout North America, and don't outsource a whole lot to China. I can't say the same about Apple, HTC and other big phone manufacturers.[/citation]
Yeah, but the stuff coming from China is a whole lot cooler. It's taken RIM this long to come out with a good product and they still don't have a phone that even begins to compare to the Chinese iPhone and Android phones currently available in the USA.

icemunk

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2009
[citation][nom]techguy378[/nom]Yeah, but the stuff coming from China is a whole lot cooler. It's taken RIM this long to come out with a good product and they still don't have a phone that even begins to compare to the Chinese iPhone and Android phones currently available in the USA.[/citation]

I beg to differ, but I'm more the business/work/play user rather than a fan boy or trendy dude.

Status
Not open for further replies.