BLOW ME

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Hardware community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
LoL, I thought I'd share <A HREF="http://www.caligari.com/help/rec_hardware/index.html#sgi" target="_new">this</A> with everyone. It's a documented Intel+SGI incompatibility that's actually been there since version 4 of trueSpace and probably earlier versions as well.

Of course, trueSpace 4 and 5 run beautifully on <A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?rigid=5092" target="_new">my system</A>. They ran beautifully on my old Athlon800+KX133 system as well. Whoops!

So, FUGGER, where's this list of AMD incompatibilities? Seems you SGI people know all about incompatibility. :wink:

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."

AmdMELTDOWN

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
dude truespace is garbage afaik no pro movies have been made with ts, it's unstable in a pro eviroment, ts is for kids imho.

I know because I've used it way back, now I use Lightwave3d, (reg user btw)and ts could not compare.

"AMD/VIA...you <i>still</i> are the weakest link, good bye!"

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
SGI is only worth it's intellectual properties which are being bypassed every step of the way in the consumer market. Stock Prices don't mean [-peep-], your right, but your company's quarterly reports show your company is hemoraging. I could show you how your company won't last more than 2 years at present pace, but your smarter than me and you would just find supposed facts to prove me wrong, so I am not going to waste my time posting facts and figures. The more you keep arguing this point the more you are proving you know nothing. You partnered yourself with a losing company, sorry. My ex-company Scientific Atlanta did the same mistake of purchasing three onyx workstations, that within a year was being sh!t canned for consumer grade desktops. The little bit about how many proccessor you guys sold, that was in one machine and thats the only one you guys have sold... You are right about one thing, you guys are the top dog in your industry, whats left of it. Your gonna rant and rave some more like the other lamers keep doing. Watch out though your mommy might catch you in the act of being an ass and put you on restriction from using your computer. BTW if you have trouble understanding what all those numbers mean in SGI QR's give me an email and I will explain them to you.

Kelledin

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2001
I could say the same about every piece of software anyone's claimed as being "AMD-incompatible." And unlike anything on FUGGER's list, this tidbit is actually confirmed.

Oh, but wait, he doesn't actually have anything on his list, does he? LoL.

(btw, I typically use 3DSMax, so yes, I know trueSpace pales in comparison. The above comment still applies. :tongue: )

Kelledin

"/join #hackerz. See the Web. DoS interesting people."

munkey

Distinguished
Jan 4, 2001
well an hour and a half later, i finally read this entire thread. all i have to sya is this was the biggest #$&*ing waste of time i have ever been a part of, except installing win95 from floppy disks.

scarywoody i'm sorry your "mom" cought you but, i have to admit it, you definatly deserved it.

and fugger, well i would say "stfu" but it would be pointless because your lack of knowledge, expierence, maturity, and inabaility to provide factual data behind what you post.

is this reality... i thought it would more realistic.

G

>Sadly my company bought half a dozen SGI work stations at
>?$30,000.00/per station

Yea, been there. Two years ago we got a brand new Octane and a dual PIII 700MHz. The octane got whipped 2 or 3 to 1 on performance, and 10 to 1 on price. And Irix is easily the least stable unix I've worked with. Of course it's still far beyond anything out of Redmond.

IMHO, SGI should pretty much abandon the workstation market. They've been lapped.

That said, If you don't need a high end SGI (and not many people do), then you likely have no idea what they do up there. If you need the kind of enormouse bandwidth, and massive multi-processing that SGI can provide, you don't have to many other choices.

That said, fugger is still FOS. I'm still waiting for a few examples from the hundreds of AMD incompatibilities he's encountered.

<i>Cognite Tute</i>
(Think for Yourself)

xazos79

Distinguished
May 9, 2001
All you guys are geeks on an info power trip. You represent 1% of the buying population. The average Joe Blow doesn't give a [-peep-] about how many FPS in his quake demo. All you losers sit there saying "Oooh, my processor churns out 1 FPS more than yours. I saw it too, it was the frame when i rammed you up the ass."
Everyone has their opinion. You guys just take all this [-peep-] too seriously. I don't support David, I don't support Goliath.....I try and screw both to get the lowest price I can.

peteb

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2001
SGI is not in trouble nor is it laying anyone off. Sorry to bust your fastasy dream bubble, but its not true

Actually as of June the 15th SGI are laying off 1000 workers accoring to Associated Press. Who knows? Maybe you'll be one of them?

I look at traded price trend and P/E and see a company in trouble, they need to cut dead wood out and re-organise their thoughts. Of course it's great that they can count on having you around spreading the good work, enhancing the SGI image when times are tough!

Oh, it must be reassuring that all your 'fan club' on here are also about 14 years old, meaning it will be at least 10-15 years before any of them have a hope of being able to sign off on anything more expensive than an SGI sticker, let alone workstation. :smile:

-* This Space For Rent *-
email for application details

G

while you may find some of this arguing irrevlevant, if you think about it, people like us are going to be making the desicions concerning computer hardware. Somewhere along the way, a product comes along that everyone agrees is a much better value. AMD cpu's at this point, and I think that everyone can agree on this, are a much better value than an Intel CPU. Not only the cpu, but also all the other components that accompany this cpu are a better value for AMD at this point. I hope that everyone can agree on this. Until Intel readjusts the way we think about this issue, AMD will continue to gain market share and genuinly outclass Intel. And I guarentee you, the people that are so loyal to Intel at this point are most likely stockholders that are praying for better times, and reassuring themselves that Intel will continue like the Intel of old.

I honestly do not have a preference as far as AMD and Intel go at this point and where my loyalties lie. I would buy an AMD cpu though, and I would invest in AMD at this point. I think that for the most part the techie has realized that AMD is a great company, but the investors are just now awakening to this revalation. That is why I am going to go buy about 30 shares of AMD stock.