Question Blower card not expelling air through the back?

May 22, 2020
I have a gtx 960 and lately its been running very hot, 99-102 C on loads, and around 60 idle. I thought it was the thermal paste and after replacing that, still no dice. But I have noticed that now, the fan on the cooler is blowing out air into the case, instead of how it's supposed to take air in. The fan is spinning counter-clockwise when holding it horizontally, with the fan on the right side.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
Pull the shroud off the heatsink and clean it out. Or pull the gpu out fully and blow canned air down the channels in reverse. The biggest issue with blowers is that eventually enough dust is blown down the channels that it ends up clogging them. When that happens, air stops coming out the back and is forced out the sides. If the cage fan was spinning backwards, the air would be coming right from the fan and drawing air from the sides instead.

May 22, 2020
Pull the shroud off the heatsink and clean it out. Or pull the gpu out fully and blow canned air down the channels in reverse. The biggest issue with blowers is that eventually enough dust is blown down the channels that it ends up clogging them. When that happens, air stops coming out the back and is forced out the sides. If the cage fan was spinning backward, the air would be coming right from the fan and drawing air from the sides instead.
I took off the shroud and clean up the minuscule amount of dust that was there to no effect. As you said in the reply, the blower fan is not taking air in and is instead blowing it right out. The fan is spinning counter-clockwise when on, and when putting my hand next to it, I can feel air being pushed out onto my hand.