[SOLVED] Blower GTX 1070 reaches 88c on load

Chalken

Reputable
Feb 27, 2019
I have an MSI Aero GTX 1070 which is a blower type. On idle it sits around 57c, but under load it reaches 88c. My case has pretty bad airflow though. I upped the temp limit it MSI afterburner to 90c and it doesn't seem to throttle, the clock speed stays over 1800MHz under load which is normal according to MSI. I replaced the thermal paste and only saw 1c decrease. The fan is running at about 89%. On NVIDIA's website it says that it's safe up to 94c. Should I be worried or is it fine?

Solution
Unfortunately, that's the nature of the beast with blower cards.
Unless you can improve airflow to the card or increase the fan curve... it is what it is. It's not terrible, but definitely the upper end of comfortable.

While the card is hitting 1800MHz (and it's only officially rated to 1721MHz boost), the boost algorithm will see the card boost higher within defined temperature parameters. With the card running so hot, it is leaving some performance on the table..... but if the card is doing what you need it to currently, that's a non-issue.

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
Unless you can improve airflow to the card or increase the fan curve... it is what it is. It's not terrible, but definitely the upper end of comfortable.

While the card is hitting 1800MHz (and it's only officially rated to 1721MHz boost), the boost algorithm will see the card boost higher within defined temperature parameters. With the card running so hot, it is leaving some performance on the table..... but if the card is doing what you need it to currently, that's a non-issue.

Solution

Chalken

Reputable
Feb 27, 2019

I see. I didn't really notice any performance difference in games when comparing with benchmarks on YouTube. When you say that it's leaving performance on the table, do you mean that it's the GPU Boost 3.0 not reaching its fullest potential? As in the clock speed could be even higher if the temps were lower?

Barty1884

Retired Moderator
do you mean that it's the GPU Boost 3.0 not reaching its fullest potential? As in the clock speed could be even higher if the temps were lower?

Correct. Whether it's substantial or not is debatable. If you're peaking at ~90'C though, you'd have to lower temperatures quite a bit to see noticeable performance gains. In a case that doesn't have great airflow, coupled with a blower design card... You're going to struggle to see worthwhile performance gains, I wouldn't worry about it.

TRENDING THREADS