[SOLVED] Blower style cards

jamos316

Honorable
Mar 14, 2014
Hello,

As from about 2 weeks ago my current gpu (ASUS GTX1060 6GB Founders Edition - blower style) started to artifact and after a while crash the game. It looks like it's the vram that is going bad, at the moment I can still play games by setting to 720p resolution ultra settings if I crank the fan speed up but this is not ideal and not sure how long this will be a solution for. My processor is i5 4690k 3.9ghz partnered with 12gb ddr3.

So I need to dive into the market to buy a new card, luckily Black Friday is only a month off so I hope to get a good deal on a card.
I have been told by a so called pc 'expert' that because I have a small case with limited airflow (EVGA Hadron Air Mini-ITX) that i need to look at getting a 'blower style' card rather than a 'open air' card. This gives me very limited chose. Currently here in Sweden I can only find 2 cards in my price range that are 'blower style'. These are;
ASUS Turbo RTX 2060 6G
Sapphire Radeon RX 5700 8GB
Currently the 5700 is about £70 cheaper than the 2060 so unless the 2060 is that much better I think I'll go with the 5700 but as i said hopefully one of these cards will have a deal on Black Friday.

Can anyone give any reviews on these cards from personal experience?
I am a bit hung up on noise and I have read a review that says the 5700 is noisey under load. However I won't be putting either the 5700 or 2060 under load as i only want to play at 1080p ultra settings and I believe both of the cards can perform way past this.
I also saw a review today saying that the 5700 has a problem with playing 'Fortnite' as some of the textures doesn't load correctly, not that I play fortnite but if this is a issue on this game then there must be other games with the same issues.

Please give me your advice.
Thanks for reading,
James

Solution
I have no personal expirience in these cards, however I do know that blower cards are not the best.
They are a good option if you are on a tight budget, but they are not so good at cooling and have barely any support for overclocking, and, in worse cases, may even thermal throttle.

But if you don't care about overclocking, getting a blower card will be fine.

512-Bit

Reputable
Apr 17, 2019
I have no personal expirience in these cards, however I do know that blower cards are not the best.
They are a good option if you are on a tight budget, but they are not so good at cooling and have barely any support for overclocking, and, in worse cases, may even thermal throttle.

Solution

jamos316

Honorable
Mar 14, 2014

The reason I'm going for a blower as opposed to a open air card is because I have limited air flow in my case. Blower cards blows out the hot air whilst open air pushes air around the case

TRENDING THREADS