Nov 20, 2022
Long time reader, first time poster. I've been building PCs since pre 286 days.
I bought a 4090 and to accommodate it, I bought a PCIe 5.0 power supply (Thermaltake Toughpower GF3 Gold 1350W) so I didn't have to use the 16-4X8 pin adapter.
I have the Thermaltake L20 GT case which has a fan header with proprietary 6 pin (ARGB) fan connectors.
Everything was working fine prior to upgrade with a 1000W ROG Strix power supply.
Upon power up, the cap on the fan header blew so I got a new fan header, it blew as well.
All cables used were new.
Everything else is working fine (better than fine tbh).
Looking for opinions on options.
  1. Replace 2X200mm front fans and 1X140mm rear fan and use a ARGB splitter cable.
  2. Keep sending fan headers back under RMA until they get sick of me.
  3. Just get milk that tastes like milk.
  4. Your input.
Thank you all in advance.

Ralston18

Titan
What about the adapters?

I.e., that "16-4X8 pin adapter" and the "proprietary 6 pin (ARGB) fan connectors."

Try testing through the adapters whether or not the adapters are being used.

I would no longer connect the adapters for the time being.

The objective is to determine if the adapters are somehow involved: either directly or indirectly.

Not sure, full disclosure, what to expect from such testing. However as a matter of discovery and elimination no harm in testing.

Especially when working with adapters and/or proprietary components. Who knows what really got thrown in the box....?

Or even works to begin with.

Nov 20, 2022
What about the adapters?

I.e., that "16-4X8 pin adapter" and the "proprietary 6 pin (ARGB) fan connectors."

Try testing through the adapters whether or not the adapters are being used.

I would no longer connect the adapters for the time being.

The objective is to determine if the adapters are somehow involved: either directly or indirectly.

Not sure, full disclosure, what to expect from such testing. However as a matter of discovery and elimination no harm in testing.

Especially when working with adapters and/or proprietary components. Who knows what really got thrown in the box....?

Or even works to begin with.
I should have made that clearer. The 4090 has a 16 pin HPWR power plug. If your power supply is not PCIe 5.0 compliant, you will need to use a ATX 3.0 PCIe 5.0 600W 4 x 8 Pin to 12VHPWR 16 Pin Power Adapter Cable. I use the 16 pin without the adapter.

Karadjgne

Titan
Ambassador
It's not the psu. Can't be.
That fan/argb spiltter is not powered by the psu. It's a 3 fan splitter on s hard board, powered by a motherboard fan header. The argb is just an in/out with 3 splits. Psu got nothing to do with nothing there.

If anything I'd be looking for fan/argb wiring that's possibly shorted or pinched, a screw sticking into the back of the pcb, something.