blown head gasket??

Texansfan02

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015
My car had been over heating for about two weeks never really stopped while running... replaced all my sensors . My cps.... now I have oil in my car just want to verify it is.. it's a 93 saturn sc2.. 1.9 liter. I also replaced thermostat and waterpump as well.

JakeyPopsicle

Reputable
Apr 20, 2015
A blown head gasket can cause a host of problems such as coolant leaking into the engine and effecting lubrication and also exhaust gasses can leak into the coolant. If you engine has previously overheated due to a failed water pump there is a chance that the head gasket can be damaged. You could probably take your car to a garage and have them do a hydrocarbon test on your radiator and that will tell you if there is exhaust gasses leaking into your coolant. this will let you know if you have a blown head gasket.
Blue exhaust smoke is also a sign of a blown head gasket (oil leaking into the cylinders through the head gasket) but is not present in all cases of head gasket failure.

Hope this helps :)

TNT27

Distinguished
I just got done fixing head gasket on my pontiac gt 02 v6, It will cost you 800+$ to have someone else do it, I was lucky enough to personally know a diesel mechanic who helped me fix it.
Ended up being a seal that got warped, coolant/oil got mixed in with the gas, white smoke, smelt horrible, and sounds horrible.

Lucky I didn't warp any heads either.

To replace all the seals, and bolts it cost me about 250$, but you have to tear down the engine to its core.

Runs better than before, and I'll probably sell it soon, as I enjoy my 92' jeep cherokee with the most reliable engine I6

boostedTurtle

Honorable
Sep 27, 2013
Check for blown head gasket signs. First look under your oil cap see if the oil / fluid there looks milky / white. You can also take a flash light shine it down into the hole where the oil cap comes off to look down the head see if it looks like oil or if it looks milky this could be a great sign of blown head gasket. Also check your anti freeze make sure it's solid color that normal anti freeze looks like. I'm pretty sure you can Google signs of blown heas gasket and go from there.