Question Blown Onkyo Subwoofer replacement

Daubers

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2015
Greetings! I am running 2 Onkyo SKW-550 Subwoofers and one has decided to blow (very noticeable distortion). As this is a powdered subwoofer I would like to just replace the speaker itself. It is only a 230 watt 10". Any suggestions for a cheap replacement that will go will with the stock box build? Any advice/recommendations are greatly appreciated! Thanks!

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
You should probably shoot an email out to Onkyo themselves or perhaps contact your local retailer. In a similar situation I was able to locate exact replacement driver for a speaker than was damaged.

If not, check with parts-express. I found a very reasonably priced replacement that was analog to the speaker I replaced with it, and has served me very well. I will note that even though I found what was visually and spec-wise the same speaker, some minor modifications had to be made to the enclosure for them to fit correctly.

Daubers

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2015
Unfortunately I have contacted Onkyo directly and they told me that they do not have the specs on ANY product that is discontinued. While I find it hard to believe, and am disappointing in their customer service, I am stuck trying to match as close as I can to one. Fabrication is not an issue just want optimal performance and to hopefully buy the right speaker the first time.

punkncat

Polypheme
Ambassador
Unfortunately I have contacted Onkyo directly and they told me that they do not have the specs on ANY product that is discontinued. While I find it hard to believe, and am disappointing in their customer service, I am stuck trying to match as close as I can to one. Fabrication is not an issue just want optimal performance and to hopefully buy the right speaker the first time.

Even if you can find the old brochure it will give you frequency range, reponse, ohm load, etc. On parts-express they did have a chart where as you were looking at a specific general size speaker you could further select by the inner and outer ring size (like the hole it drops into and then mounts in).
If you have any kind of audio shop (and particularly of the custom car type) they could likely order you something appropriate at a premium.

Daubers

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2015
Even if you can find the old brochure it will give you frequency range, reponse, ohm load, etc. On parts-express they did have a chart where as you were looking at a specific general size speaker you could further select by the inner and outer ring size (like the hole it drops into and then mounts in).
If you have any kind of audio shop (and particularly of the custom car type) they could likely order you something appropriate at a premium.
Finally found an old Manual!

Type:
Bass-reflex
Input sensitivity/
impedance:
140 mV / 20 kΩ

Maximum output power: 230 W (Dynamic Power)
Frequency response:
25 Hz–150 Hz
Cabinet capacity:
1.34 cubic feet (38 L)

Having mismatched speakers is not as noticeable at low frequencies, it may still be a concern. You might be better off getting a matching pair. I'd also want to be sure you've troubleshooted it correctly, and it is indeed the speaker, and not the internal amp.

Reactions: punkncat

Daubers

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2015
Maybe this is something simple but I have never dealt with it before and google has not helped, but it says the ohms are 20 Kiloohms. How does this translate into the normal range of ohms when buying a replacement?

Daubers

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2015
Having mismatched speakers is not as noticeable at low frequencies, it may still be a concern. You might be better off getting a matching pair. I'd also want to be sure you've troubleshooted it correctly, and it is indeed the speaker, and not the internal amp.
I am by no means an expert but the speaker is performing how I have experienced blown speakers in the past. Sounds like there is something loose inside the speaker ( I have removed and that is not the case). How else do you suggest I troubleshoot? I guess I could simply swap the sub with the other one.