Blown power supply

richiejodee

Reputable
Feb 25, 2015
Hi all, i have a dell and while the tower was running i switched the little red button on the power supply and it obviously blew up, is my whole system ruined or do i need to just replace the power supply with a new one?

richiejodee

Reputable
Feb 25, 2015
Ok thanks for the heads up, while im here i have another tower, could i just use that power supply if i bodge it in the case, i have room to do so, i have both towers in front of me now

Steve Simons

Honorable
May 31, 2014
It depends on a lot of things. If they wattage of the power supply is the same, yes, you can just swap them out. If not, the only way you should do it is if the working power supply has more wattage than the one you just blew. Dell has a very nasty habit of putting in the minimum power supply to run the machine, so if they other power supply is less wattage, it won't work (or worse).

richiejodee

Reputable
Feb 25, 2015

richiejodee

Reputable
Feb 25, 2015
Thanks i looked and both power supplys were 275w, i have had too leave my tower open because the new supply is bigger but everything is working great, i have a guestion on my pci slot, will upload pic shortly. Thanks for the advice guys much respect

TRENDING THREADS