Question Blown PSU

Sep 19, 2019
Today when I started my computer, the PSU made a loud pop noise and stopped working. On further inspection inside the PSU, I found that a burn mark on the underside of the circuit board, along with a mark on the plastic underneath. The burn mark appears to line up with a small transformer on the other side. I've only heard of capacitors exploding before, but I don't think it is the large capacitor next to it. Nothing on the top side of the board appears to be damaged.
Photos here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/Ge3ap9tWkV3kFwP39
Top edge of both photos is the same edge
I would like to know what might caused my power supply to blow up. This is the 3rd time it's happened this year. The first two were pretty cheap Chinese ones, this one is an Aerocool v12xt-700. The more recent two were also quite new, with this one being dated 9th week of 2018. The previous one died of a blown fuse. Might it have something to do with my house power supply? The nominal voltage in Australia is 230V, but my dad says that it routinely jumps up to 240V even 250V sometimes. The wiring in this house is quite old: it was built around 1965.

mangaman

Honorable
I would like to know what might caused my power supply to blow up. This is the 3rd time it's happened this year. The first two were pretty cheap Chinese ones, this one is an Aerocool v12xt-700.

I know everyone has said this already, but it should be quite obvious. Never cheap out on a PSU, because this is what you get. Never buy cheap Chinese PSU's off of any online or physical retailer. The cheap Chinese ones and the one you mentioned do not have any voltage regulation, temperature sensors, or any sort of protection.

Hopefully your PC is still fine.

Reactions: King_V

King_V

Illustrious
Ambassador
If the ONLY thing that happened is that the PSU failed, you're lucky. Cheap, poor quality PSUs that fail can take out other components with them.

It cannot be emphasized enough that paying for a known, reputable high quality PSU is a must.

I can't seem to find that link for the recommended PSUs - I just recently saw it within someone else's post, too. Can anyone repost that link here?

EDIT: It's in Darkbreeze's post on this thread

Last edited: