Blu-ray/computer question

anarvey

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
I have a blu-ray player connected to an LG 1080p LCD HDTV in our living room that looks awesome.

My wife is getting me a new computer for Christmas that has a blue-ray drive in it (the video card is an nVidia GT220). I am wondering how I get "1080p" resolution from the Dell 20" LCD monitor? I am thinking about running the Dell monitor and a 1080p HDTV (mounted on the wall to be more viewable while laying in bed or whatever) off of the computer at the same time (we could use the monitor for "normal computer use" and use the HDTV to watch the Blu-ray movies and other media on. I assume the HDTV could be setup as the secondary display and connected to the PC via an HDMI connection, but this is more of a hope than reality at this point as I do not know what connections my video card will have for me to use. However, if I have to add another video card to provide support to either the monitor or the HDTV, I will).

Would a blu-ray movie playing on my computer have the same quality of viewing as a movie played on my blu-ray player (non-computer) on my HDTV in our living room(1080p)? My fear is that it won't look as good playing the movie through the computer as it does through just a regular blu-ray player).

Has anyone had any luck connecting a 1080p HDTV up to a computer? Or will the quality of display on the Dell monitor blow away the quality of the display on the 1080p HDTV?

Thanks so much for your help. This is one of those deals where I can see so clearly in my head what I want to ask but cannot get what I am typing in this box to match what I see in my head.

Thanks so much for all of your help. Happy Holidays to all of you!

Andy

rockyjohn

Distinguished
You should be able to do what you want to do, although I lack expertise in this field. But I believe some further information may be helpful to those that can answer the question.

What is the size of the HDTV? That will be a major factor in determining how fast a graphics card you need.

What is the make and model of the Dell Monitor? Check the specifications to see if it handles 1080p. Also, the quality of output on the monitor will depend largely on the quality of the monitor.