Blu-ray Discs That Play in DVD Player Revealed

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Why? This is like advertising free AIDS.
Blu ray players are so cheap right now.

Qwakrz

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2004
As per everything done by the current Blu-Ray consortium its all too little too late and too expensive.

Its very good news that the price is starting to fall but I don't foresee it getting down to the same costs or the same take-up that DVD currently has.

I think it's a great idea. Take for example my recent experience: I just bought Wall-E on BR, but we can only watch it on our main TV that has the BR player. My 5-year-old son cannot watch this movie on his portable DVD player nor can he watch it in the built-in DVD player in the car. It would be very nice to be able to use the one disc for BR and DVD rather than purchase a DVD copy of the same movie for watching movies on the go.

orangedrink

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2008
I think this is fantastic news. rwpritchett's has a valid point. I don't want to bring my BR player when traveling and portable DVDplayer is much more convenient.

hellwig

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
How is gluing a standard DVD to the back of an HDDVD actually a "solution" to the problem. I think saying that HDDVD had dual-format support is bogus, and why praise a dead format? You probably still pine for Betamax.

As for the Bluray dual-format, wouldn't it be cheaper to just include the regular DVD format disc with the Bluray disk? How does a dual-format player decide between Bluray and DVD (they have two lasers, right)? I can understand that movie studios don't want to give out two copies, but at 52% markup, they aren't really giving the consumer a very good deal.

And as for watching Animated movies on BR, is it really worth it? I watched Nemo on a relatives up-converting DVD player on a 61-inch widescreen, and it still looked pretty darn good.

rocky1234

Distinguished
Sep 9, 2008
Well think about it this is the blu-rays camps way of getting rid of normal DVD disks so people will buy this new hybrid disk now for their DVD players then at some point the DVD portion of the hybrid disk will disappear all together & people will be used to buying blu-ray disks by habit so its a win win for the blu-ray camp.

mdillenbeck

Distinguished
Jun 11, 2008
I'm cynical, so I see the hybrid design as a way to migrate people from buying 4-10 USD DVDs into the 20-30 USD BDs. Why continue to sell a low cost product when you can sell a premium one that is "making up R&D costs" (plus a bit more for ailing shareholders).

However, I will agree, having DVD-BD hybrids does have use. However, it may be to little too late with the new "digital copy included" trend on BD releases.

vaskodogama

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2008
I dont like BD, it's too big in size! do we need all that RESOLUTIONN??
i stick with DVD! 8 BD's = My PC's Hard disk! it's .... Funny! :D

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
[citation][nom]vaskodogama[/nom]oh, and about this HYBRID BD, 25 GB is not enough for full HD version of any movie! so, it's a dead end! Poof![/citation]That's not correct; most Blu-ray movies are only single layer discs anyways, so this should not really cause a limitation.

G

I think they will go down to price of really cheap DVD players like all technology it gets obsolite and so prices will fall

G

If betamax is so bad, how come it is still the main recording medium in television studios?

Status
Not open for further replies.