[SOLVED] blu-ray disks in non-blu-ray drive?

DLes

Reputable
Dec 2, 2019
My question is whether Blu-Ray optical disks can be used, as a regular CD disk, in non-Blue-Ray regular CD drives.

Why do I ask this? Geez. Several years ago I started using M-disks. 5GB per disk worked well for me in order to get indestructable archiving. Needed to get an M-disk capable drive. No problem. And then .... they STOPPED making 5GB M-disks, and now ONLY make Blu-Ray disks. So, sheesh, now I have to go out and buy a pricey Blu-Ray M-disk capable drive????

I would like to be able to write 5GB to a 25GB Blu-Ray disk with a regular M-disk capable CD drive., and read it with the same drive. Am I outta luck?

Funny, that everyone says that the problem with indestructable memory is that the technology will simply disappear, leaving indestructable memory unreadable. Seems that the M-disk folks are working hard on making that happen as they make their media disappear.

Solution
The short answer is no.

The long answer is no, because where the data is actually recorded on a Blu-ray is different than that of a CD or a DVD. So even if the drive could write to the Blu-Ray using the same sized pits as a CD or DVD, no CD or DVD drive could read it because it's not in the right spot. See:
1920px-Comparison_CD_DVD_HDDVD_BD.svg.png
The short answer is no.

The long answer is no, because where the data is actually recorded on a Blu-ray is different than that of a CD or a DVD. So even if the drive could write to the Blu-Ray using the same sized pits as a CD or DVD, no CD or DVD drive could read it because it's not in the right spot. See:
1920px-Comparison_CD_DVD_HDDVD_BD.svg.png

Solution

DLes

Reputable
Dec 2, 2019
Well, except I'm not trying to read a Blu-Ray written disk with a CD/DVD reader. I'm trying to write on a Blu-Ray disk with a CD/DVD writer yielding a disk that could be read with a CD/DVD reader. That is, the CD/DVD writer would ideally burn pits where a CD/DVD reader expects them to be, but just on a Blu-Ray disk. So the question is whether those pits can be written, by a CD/DVD writer, on a Blu-Ray disk. The writer determines where the pits are going to be, not the disk architecture itself.

As in, if I pop a Blu-Ray blank disk into a CD/DVD writer, can I write on it in such a way that a CD/DVD reader can read it?

Now, if the Blu-Ray disk has markings on it that are appropriate only to Blu-Ray writers, and that a CD writer can't use, then I guess I'm outta luck. Is that the deal?

Well, except I'm not trying to read a Blu-Ray written disk with a CD/DVD reader. I'm trying to write on a Blu-Ray disk with a CD/DVD writer yielding a disk that could be read with a CD/DVD reader. That is, the CD/DVD writer would ideally burn pits where a CD/DVD reader expects them to be, but just on a Blu-Ray disk. So the question is whether those pits can be written, by a CD/DVD writer, on a Blu-Ray disk. The writer determines where the pits are going to be, not the disk architecture itself.

As in, if I pop a Blu-Ray blank disk into a CD/DVD writer, can I write on it in such a way that a CD/DVD reader can read it?

Now, if the Blu-Ray disk has markings on it that are appropriate only to Blu-Ray writers, and that a CD writer can't use, then I guess I'm outta luck. Is that the deal?
No I understood what you want.

It's not going to happen though. Where the data gets written to on a CD or DVD is different than a Blu-Ray. When you're dealing with nanometer scales, even that fraction of a millimeter is going to make a difference in how the laser detects data from the disc.

Note that where the data is recorded on the media is where the reflective layer is. So no, you can't even write pits in a Blu-Ray disc at a depth of 1.0mm or 0.6mm (where CD and DVD's reflective layers are) because the reflective layer is at a depth of 0.1mm.