[SOLVED] Blu Ray [drive] not recognizing inserted discs ?

sinfoman

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2011
OK, extra details might not be necessary, but here we are.
  1. New GPU came bundled with new PSU
  2. Inserted new GPU and PSU, replaced all prior working items
  3. BluRay drive and hard drive wouldn't work. Ordered new BDROM, HDD dead in the water, not replaced. BDROM wouldn't work.
  4. Ordered new BDROM. It wasn't recognized either. Took both HDD and both BDROM to a friend's computer- no joy.
  5. Ordered ANOTHER BDROM and returned #2. Still not working. Changed out the SATA drive and cabling and FINALLY got it to power up. YAY!!! But..
  6. BIOS and Windows both recognize BD Player, but no disc is recognized. Steps I have taken:
6a) Everything here EXCEPT for create a new controller: https://windowsreport.com/fix-lg-dvd-player-issues/#7
6b) Multiple cables/inputs/rails between my Disc/PSU/MoBo

So- HOW IN THE h3LL can I get Win10 to recognize the inserted disc? is it still possibly a power problem? It would seem it's a data issue, but I have tried multiple data cables into multiple ports on my MoBo. Is there a step I missed when I replaced the GPU that might affect the BDROM?

The only thing I haven't tried (yet) is to replace the previous PSU and see if it fires up again. I am slightly loathe to do that, as it is 5 years old and only slightly more power than my new GPU (3070 Gigabyte Aorus). How can I quickly determine if my PSU 6 pin plug is bad? I'm scared to unplug anything as everything else is working. LOL! HELP!

Solution
Check connections to the BDROM drive. Windows can recognize that it exists through a data cable connection only, but the drive cannot do anything else until it also has it required POWER cable - typically a SATA output from the PSU. To check this further, LISTEN to that drive unit very clocely as soon as you push the power-on button. The normal POST process for the drive itself usually includes moving the read heads to position them at the proper starting point, so you can hear a brief noise as the heads move. But there will be NO noise it the unit has no power.

If it appears to have power, check whether you have installed the device driver required by that drive.

MonsterMaxx

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2015
First thing anyone around here is going to ask is: Specs?

IDK if I'm the best to help you, I feel your pain, I had a bluray drive die. Didn't get around to fixing it until I did a case swap. so new Amazon LG drive, new case, new PS, different motherboard. Amazon's drive wouldn't even eject the tray. Got a 2nd one from Amazon, plugged it in and on this one smoke actually came out. Returned them and am left wondering...

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: Phillip Corcoran

Paperdoc

Polypheme
Ambassador
Check connections to the BDROM drive. Windows can recognize that it exists through a data cable connection only, but the drive cannot do anything else until it also has it required POWER cable - typically a SATA output from the PSU. To check this further, LISTEN to that drive unit very clocely as soon as you push the power-on button. The normal POST process for the drive itself usually includes moving the read heads to position them at the proper starting point, so you can hear a brief noise as the heads move. But there will be NO noise it the unit has no power.

If it appears to have power, check whether you have installed the device driver required by that drive.

Solution