[SOLVED] Blu Ray drive won't stay open.

Balic Blackthorn

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2016
I'm hoping someone here can help me out/tell me what is going on. Starting today, when I open my blu ray drive (whether by clicking the button OR by right clicking on the drive in Windows), it will slide open and then immediately slide closed again. I'm not using any software that interacts with the drive that I am aware of, aside from Windows Media Player which I use to rip CDs.

If it matters, the drive is:
LG Black 16X BD-R 2X BD-RE 16X DVD+R 5X DVD-RAM 12X BD-ROM 4MB Cache SATA Blu-ray Burner WH16NS40

Thanks.

Solution
had a similar issue with a full-sized Blu-Ray player.

there was an issue with the button itself that each time the eject button was clicked it would register two clicks.
would eject and then start to close again before it even reached the full ejection.
nothing i could do but use the eject button on the remote control to bypass the issue.

since it also happens with your drive even when right-clicking in Windows i would guess it is a bigger failure than just a sticking / double-clicking button.

i would first try uninstalling the device through Device Manager,
then unplug it from the system,
restart the OS once with it disconnected,
reconnect to the system,
and hope it has been re-detected and the issue is fixed.

if not, return to the...
had a similar issue with a full-sized Blu-Ray player.

there was an issue with the button itself that each time the eject button was clicked it would register two clicks.
would eject and then start to close again before it even reached the full ejection.
nothing i could do but use the eject button on the remote control to bypass the issue.

since it also happens with your drive even when right-clicking in Windows i would guess it is a bigger failure than just a sticking / double-clicking button.

i would first try uninstalling the device through Device Manager,
then unplug it from the system,
restart the OS once with it disconnected,
reconnect to the system,
and hope it has been re-detected and the issue is fixed.

if not, return to the retailer for refund or replacement.
or if too much time has passed RMA through LG for a replacement.

Reactions: Balic Blackthorn
Solution