Blu-Ray/DVD/CD Burner can't read any discs

kjammer

Prominent
Jan 14, 2018
I bought a Blu-ray burner (Pioneer BDR-206DBK) from amazon (link) And it's not working. I'm using Windows 10. Windows Explorer sees it, it identifies it as "BD-RE Drive (E: )" with a disc icon that says "BD", double clicking on it ejects the tray as if there was no disc, and Windows Device Manager identifies it as "PIONEER BD-RW BDR-206 ATA Device." However, it doesn't read any disc I put in there whether it's a CD-ROM or DVD (I didn't even attempt Blu-ray since I don't have the codec yet). I hear it spin, the light flashes, the mouse cursor briefly shows a spinning disc by the arrow, but then nothing. No auto-run, icon change, and double clicking the icon ejects the tray.

I can't find any drivers, but I am able to find firmware updates from Pioneer, but it won't install because the updater says "Available target is not found." After further testing I find that it can't boot any bootable disc, and was unable to test it with any other OS (I have a bunch of linux boot CDs laying around that I can't use). What do I do now?

Solution
That's a pretty old drive. About 2010 vintage.
Doesn't sound like the drive is working at all.
One thing you could try, though this is grabbing at straws, is to see if it works in a Linux or Windows 7 system
personally, I wouldn't waste my time with it. A BDR-209 is far more recent and can be had for $5 - $10 more than the drive you purchased.

Tanyac

Reputable
That's a pretty old drive. About 2010 vintage.
Doesn't sound like the drive is working at all.
One thing you could try, though this is grabbing at straws, is to see if it works in a Linux or Windows 7 system
personally, I wouldn't waste my time with it. A BDR-209 is far more recent and can be had for $5 - $10 more than the drive you purchased.

Solution