Blu-ray, DVD Media Prices Could be Going Up

Status
Not open for further replies.

bustapr

Distinguished
Jan 23, 2009
[citation][nom]eklipz330[/nom]digital is the futureof course i have to agree with anyone who says there is some satisfaction having a physical copy in your hand...[/citation]
I like physical copies more because of the feeling you get when you stand in front of a giant movie collection like mine. Also the factor of ravenous spyware, plagues buying of the net. Too bad prices are going up though.

redux fountain

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2010
Good thing I still have a stock of blank cd's left over from Y2K. I was going to travel the world searching the ruined libraries and abandonned government facilities and preserve all the data. Didn't really pann out that way.

uh_no

Distinguished
Jul 8, 2009
[citation][nom]bustapr[/nom]I like physical copies more because of the feeling you get when you stand in front of a giant movie collection like mine. Also the factor of ravenous spyware, plagues buying of the net. Too bad prices are going up though.[/citation]

Hm. I like the fact that I can fit your entire giant movie collection in something which can fit in my pocket.....maybe two pockets if its a super giant collection

[citation][nom]uh_no[/nom]Hm. I like the fact that I can fit your entire giant movie collection in something which can fit in my pocket.....maybe two pockets if its a super giant collection[/citation]
That sounds just as much like a "physical" copy as disks do. lol.

cletus_slackjawd

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2006
Optical drives and media (including blu-ray) are pretty much obsolete IMHO. You can download software STEAM, TORRENT, FTP, stream content (Netflix, BlockBuster, Pandora, YouTube). The only reason I still use my DVD drive is for the copy protected content where the software looks for the DVD in the drive to verify it's legit. I bought a blu-ray player by the way and it never is used. Why? I have satellite HD and for storage I have a HD-DVR with a large ESATA external HDD. I used to be a greedy collector but now music, movies, games are so consumable and readily available there is no sense in buying a permanent physical disc.

TheDuke

Distinguished
Jun 16, 2009
if they want Blu-Ray to get a larger foothold in the home theater market before Netflix and digital distribution take over, this is not what they need happening.

back_by_demand

Splendid
BANNED
Jul 16, 2009
I can deal with DVD proces going up, I can still grab 100 blank DVDs for around £15, so it's not a big deal really to pay a couple of pence more per disk. But good luck convincing uptakers of BluRay as the disks are still way overpriced to begin with.

Eventually people will figure out that a 1Tb hard drive can hold the same as about 250 DVDs and cost around the same. I may just rip all my DVD collection to HDD, attach the big TV to the PC by HDMI and never use a DVD player again. Plus if I ever decide to go "old skool" again and use a DVD player then I can still burn the VOB files if I want.

I think I just convinced myself, bye bye optical media!!!!!

Damned if you do, damned if you don't. As much as I might like the idea of that physical copy in my hot little hands, maybe they're hot because they've been burned by the DRM that's most likely on it. Of course, downloaded content typically has that same problem, OR is locked into a proprietary playback method that may collect data so you can be subjected to "targeted" advertising.
This is an ethical nightmare. I want to pay the artists; they're certainly entitled, but the rest of it is insane, not worth any money, but adds cost, both money and time. I put my Jolly Roger away a long time ago, but I have to wonder...

Status
Not open for further replies.