Blu-ray Potential Not Rosy In Near Term

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Although Blu-ray Disc (BD) has become the world's next-generation blue-laser optical standard following Toshiba's decision to stop promotion of HD DVD early this year, the prospects of the platform are not as rosy as some in the market think, according to Digitimes Research.

Blu-ray Potential Not Rosy In Near Term : Read more

jcwbnimble

Distinguished
Feb 7, 2008
I guess I should just check out Digitimes before even coming to Tom's sites. Even after clicking the link to Digitimes, I'm dissapointed. The author missed the biggest point as to why BD will not take root quickly.

Let's face it, the average US home does not have an HDTV. Why buy a $400-$500 BD player when you don't even have an HDTV to play it on. Also, most homes already have a vast library of DVDs. Yes, the same movie may look better on BD than on DVD, but who can justify replacing every DVD they own at a cost of $20-$50 per disc? The other issue is the fact that movie studios are still gonnna release their movies on DVD.

Until there is a majority of homes that have HDTVs and the movie studios only release products on BD, Blue Ray is doomed to languish.

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
I would think that the HDTV market penetration must be pretty high. I can only think of one or two people I know that don't have an HDTV and my friends are not techies nor are they particularly wealthy.

The DVD argument is not really that big of a deal. People think of it like the switch from tapes to DVD (or CD for that matter). Its not like that since BD players are backwards compatible with DVD. So when you want to watch a movie, you just pop it in, BD or DVD. I can't see people replacing their movie libraries, they'll just start buying BD from now on.

Status
Not open for further replies.