Blu-ray TO tv Question

mega1268

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
Ok, heres the question. I dont really wanna buy a blu-ray player. But is it possible to send a wire from my computer to Tv to watch the movie as if i had a blu ray player? I dont think my tv has any DVI ports. Id also need a motherboard/sound card with optical out right?

Dooyas

Distinguished
Nov 14, 2007
Depending on your video card you can buy an DVI-HDMI converter for about $10, then run the HDMI to the tv. I use the HD2600xt on my HTPC for this and I get upto 1080p on the tv.

mega1268

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2007
Ok im sorry. i just bought a 9800 gx2 and it has an HDMI out. will that send both signals or just the video? Can i use my computer as a "home theater" center

calinkula

Distinguished
Jul 26, 2008
The main point of a HDMI cable is to run high def video and audio on one cable. But you can also use it to run just video(or audio if you wanted, I guess). Example, my surround sound receiver is older and doesn't have any HDMI ports. So I use a HDMI cable to run the video from my PS3 to my HDTV and then I use a fiber optic cable from the PS3 to the receiver for audio. I could use the cable for both video and audio, but it would only go to the TV and I would not be using my surround sound.

I've never run my computer to my TV using an HDMI cable, but to meet the HDMI spec requirements I would assume the video card would output both audio and video signals.

gamecrazychris

Distinguished
Nov 25, 2007

It has an onbord soundcard or is able to take the sound from another place, don't worry it'll work.