Question Blu-ray writer can't read its own discs

Jun 30, 2019
Hi,

I've just got an external Blu-ray writer (Pioneer BDR-XD05TS) and use it with Windows 10, hooked up via USB 3.0. It writes and reads DVD-R just fine. When I try to write BD-R (Verbatim M-Disc 25 GB) it also seems to work, however after writing it can't recognize the disc it's just written. On a different computer disc is perfectly readable though. Hooking the Pioneer drive up to two different computers produces the same result, written disc is not recognized.
So in short:
DVD-R: read & write ok
BD-R: write ok (confirmed by other drive), read doesn't work.

Any ideas? Drive's firmware is current, BTW.

Regards,
Peter

Jun 28, 2019
I didn’t know you could still get BD burners, I haven’t used mine in years. I used to use it for yearly backups of critical data (family pics and videos, documents, taxes, etc...) but had to find another solution when backups exceeded 25GB. I’d return it and try another brand. Mine is an LG and worked flawlessly.

Jun 30, 2019
I didn’t know you could still get BD burners, I haven’t used mine in years. I used to use it for yearly backups of critical data (family pics and videos, documents, taxes, etc...) but had to find another solution when backups exceeded 25GB.
It still fits my needs perfectly, large enough (up to 100 GB with BDXL, BTW) to archive one project per disc on a durable (M-Disc) medium. I'm open to suggestions for alternatives, but haven't found one yet.

I’d return it and try another brand. Mine is an LG and worked flawlessly.
So far I'd have said the same about Pioneer drives, but yeah, maybe it's really just defective.