Blue cast in flash pictures

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Have the Casio EX-S3 digital camera and works pretty well for a 3meg'er.
All the pictures taken without flash are satisfactory. I have no complaint
there. My headache is with flash pictures. They all have a Blue cast to
them. I played with all the available settings, but still cannot get rid of
the Blue when using flash. All suggestions are welcomed, as I have 4 days
left to return the camera.

On Tue, 20 Apr 2004 23:04:36 GMT, "Frank" <duzenski@snet.net> vaguely
proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

I don't have the same camera, but....

Have you used other cameras? I ask because this helps you to judge
whether it's the camera or the....well....the operator :-< <G>

In the interests of rapid response I will lecture anyway..<G> I hope
it may help.

Have you tried altering the White Balance (WB) settings? Auto _should_
handle flash, but you may need to set to a specific setting.

When you say "a blue cast" this _could be caused by underexposure.
This would be a general grey-blue effect, with everything not quite
bright enough. Most flashes have settings for power, and you should be
able to set the output. But with all flashes there is a limit to the
distance they can handle, and it's quite small. Your manula should
reccommend a maximum. Beyoind this, you will get under exposure.

The flashes on most of these cameras are also auto-adjusting, limiting
themselves to prevent _over_ exposure, and work quite well.

If the front area or close things are not bad, but back thnings are
"blued" then see if the flash has a "Slow" setting. This allows much
slower shutter speeds to sync with the flash. This means that you
flash the front subject, but use a nice slow shutter speed to grab the
background as well. Remember to allow fro camera movement and subject
movement.

>Have the Casio EX-S3 digital camera and works pretty well for a 3meg'er.

BTW. IMO in the prosumer range at the moment, I feel that the 3meger
may be the best compromise between resolution and noise / problems. I
say that and I own a 4 Meg camera.

>All the pictures taken without flash are satisfactory. I have no complaint
>there. My headache is with flash pictures. They all have a Blue cast to
>them. I played with all the available settings, but still cannot get rid of
>the Blue when using flash. All suggestions are welcomed, as I have 4 days
>left to return the camera.

I went on a guided tour not long ago.The guide got
us lost. He was a non-compass mentor.........sorry
.........no I'm not.

"Frank" <duzenski@snet.net> wrote in message
> Have the Casio EX-S3 digital camera and works pretty well for a
> 3meg'er. All the pictures taken without flash are satisfactory. I
> have no complaint there. My headache is with flash pictures. They
> all have a Blue cast to them. I played with all the available
> settings, but still cannot get rid of the Blue when using flash. All
> suggestions are welcomed, as I have 4 days left to return the camera.

The White Balance should be set to fluorescent (not tungsten) when using flash.
A tripod might help too.

"Cymbal Man Freq." <Don't Bother@ForgedPostsAnonymous.unorg> wrote in
message news:Hzjhc.98672$e17.44916@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
> "Frank" <duzenski@snet.net> wrote in message
> > Have the Casio EX-S3 digital camera and works pretty well for a
> > 3meg'er. All the pictures taken without flash are satisfactory. I
> > have no complaint there. My headache is with flash pictures. They
> > all have a Blue cast to them. I played with all the available
> > settings, but still cannot get rid of the Blue when using flash. All
> > suggestions are welcomed, as I have 4 days left to return the camera.
>
> The White Balance should be set to fluorescent (not tungsten) when using
flash.
> A tripod might help too.

Flash is Daylight not Fluorescent or Tungsten.

The color temperature of Flash is 5500-6000 degrees Kelvin which is what
daylight is.

White Balance should be set to Daylight for Flash. White Balance set to Auto
should also work.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

"CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
> Flash is Daylight not Fluorescent or Tungsten.
>
> The color temperature of Flash is 5500-6000 degrees Kelvin which is what
> daylight is.
>
> White Balance should be set to Daylight for Flash. White Balance set to Auto
> should also work.
>
> --
> CSM1
> http://www.carlmcmillan.com

I have an Olympus...just tryin' to help. Maybe the Flash temperatures are
different on different brands of cameras?

"Cymbal Man Freq." <Don't Bother@ForgedPostsAnonymous.unorg> wrote in
message news:u2Hhc.105759$e17.26737@twister.nyroc.rr.com...

> "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message
> > Flash is Daylight not Fluorescent or Tungsten.
> >
> > The color temperature of Flash is 5500-6000 degrees Kelvin which is what
> > daylight is.
> >
> > White Balance should be set to Daylight for Flash. White Balance set to
Auto
> > should also work.
> >
> > --
> > CSM1
> > http://www.carlmcmillan.com
>

> I have an Olympus...just tryin' to help. Maybe the Flash temperatures are
> different on different brands of cameras?

As far as I know the color temperature of all strobes (flash) is in the
5500-6000 degrees Kelvin range. It is one of the properties of the xenon gas
used in the flash tube.
http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/camera-flash1.htm

There is a neat chart on this page that shows the color temperature of
several light sources. (near the bottom of the page).
http://www.phototechmag.com/previous-articles/2003/ma-lane/lane1.html

The higher the degrees Kelvin the more blue the light is.
--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 18:19:13 GMT, "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com>
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

OK

I tried
http://www.phototechmag.com/previous-articles/2003/ma-lane/lane1.html

and had a dead page!

AFAIK, there are two types of fluoro tube. One has a yellow cast and
is somewhat like a tungsten filament. The other is the "normal" one
and has about the same colour temp as daylight anyway.

Olympus actually mentions _three_ "temperatures of fluoro.

I agree that daylight is the better setting than fluoro for flash, if
for no other reason than that there are three settings (at least on my
oly 750).

"Old Nick" <nsnfwhite@dodo.net.au> wrote in message
> On Thu, 22 Apr 2004 18:19:13 GMT, "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com>
> vaguely proposed a theory
> ......and in reply I say!:
> remove ns from my header address to reply via email
>
> OK
>
> I tried
> http://www.phototechmag.com/previous-articles/2003/ma-lane/lane1.html
>
> and had a dead page!

I checked and the page is fine. Do you have dial-up? It opens with a black
page, then the whole page comes in.

By the way, I have DSL and the page loads in about 2 seconds.

--
CSM1
http://www.carlmcmillan.com

> AFAIK, there are two types of fluoro tube. One has a yellow cast and
> is somewhat like a tungsten filament. The other is the "normal" one
> and has about the same colour temp as daylight anyway.
>
> Olympus actually mentions _three_ "temperatures of fluoro.
>
> I agree that daylight is the better setting than fluoro for flash, if
> for no other reason than that there are three settings (at least on my
> oly 750).
>
> >"Cymbal Man Freq." <Don't Bother@ForgedPostsAnonymous.unorg> wrote in
> >message news:u2Hhc.105759$e17.26737@twister.nyroc.rr.com...
> >>
> >> "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com> wrote in message

> >Auto

> >> I have an Olympus...just tryin' to help. Maybe the Flash temperatures
are
> >> different on different brands of cameras?
> >>

> >As far as I know the color temperature of all strobes (flash) is in the
> >5500-6000 degrees Kelvin range. It is one of the properties of the xenon
gas
> >used in the flash tube.
> >http://electronics.howstuffworks.com/camera-flash1.htm
> >
> >There is a neat chart on this page that shows the color temperature of
> >several light sources. (near the bottom of the page).
> >http://www.phototechmag.com/previous-articles/2003/ma-lane/lane1.html
> >
> >The higher the degrees Kelvin the more blue the light is.
> >--
> >CSM1
> >http://www.carlmcmillan.com

> I went on a guided tour not long ago.The guide got
> us lost. He was a non-compass mentor.........sorry
> ........no I'm not.

On Fri, 23 Apr 2004 00:38:11 GMT, "CSM1" <nomoremail@nomail.com>
vaguely proposed a theory
.......and in reply I say!:

hmp! Works now! It actually said "Page unavailable" before. It was not
just impatience! <G>
I went on a guided tour not long ago.The guide got
us lost. He was a non-compass mentor.........sorry
.........no I'm not.

In fact the Casio flashes are the culprit not the white balance. I created a
transparent filter using various parts of RBG to solve the problem with my
Casio camera. Sorry I don't remember the RGB settings but the filter is
extremely pale yellowish.

Bob
"Frank" <duzenski@snet.net> wrote in message
> Have the Casio EX-S3 digital camera and works pretty well for a 3meg'er.
> All the pictures taken without flash are satisfactory. I have no
complaint
> there. My headache is with flash pictures. They all have a Blue cast to
> them. I played with all the available settings, but still cannot get rid
of
> the Blue when using flash. All suggestions are welcomed, as I have 4 days
> left to return the camera.

frank

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I already came to the conclusion that the problem was the camera, so
returned it. Ordered the Sony dsc-t1 instead. Will see how that one goes.