[SOLVED] Blue clock icon for drive in explorer ?

scootter71

Reputable
Dec 22, 2018
Does this icon have any particular meaning?

JSwHUuI.png

Solution
do you have any backup software on PC?
any hard drive software like HD Sentinel
Any software from Western digital to run backups to the drive?

Colif

Win 11 Master
If I search for WD Clock icon on Google now , all I find a link back to this post. Not useful

curious, anything happen if you right click clock or hover mouse over it? anything apart from open the right click menu on drive anyway. Anything in the menu that show what it might be.

I know apps can change how hdd appear as HD Sentinel adds a Green tick next to drives

I would look in the WD software and see if there is an area in it that lets you change appearance of icon in explorer.

scootter71

Reputable
Dec 22, 2018
There is nothing in the WD backup that lets me change it. There is an icon on that HDD that is the same as the HDD icon and it is labeled Dell.

I searched and have found nothing with that icon related to dell.

Thanks.

Colif

Win 11 Master
Try a clean boot and see if it changes anything - make sure to read instructions and make sure NOT to disable any microsoft services or windows won't load right - https://support.microsoft.com/en-au/help/929135/how-to-perform-a-clean-boot-in-windows

if clean boot fixes it, it shows its likely a startup program. You should, over a number of startups. restart the programs you stopped to isolate the one that is to causing it

Its not a Onedrive icon, they appear more as clouds. I am curious as I don't see that result anywhere else.

scootter71

Reputable
Dec 22, 2018
Thanks for all your replies. It turned out it was related to backup software. Dell backup and recovery.

It's a data drive and somehow that icon got into the main directory with an autorun.inf pointing to that icon.

Thanks

Last edited: