[SOLVED] Blue horizontal lines and a smaller screen resolution

MilkyMilkMan

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015
Yesterday, when I was using my PC some blue horizontal lines appeared and my pc froze before crashing. When I rebooted my pc the blue Horizontal lines were still there ( at times flickering) and my screen resolution was smaller which I was unable to change in the display settings.

I tried updating my GPU drivers but every time I do it goes through the installation process and says it's done but it has not which I can see when I check for updates on new drivers.

I don't have a spare device to test my monitor on to see if that is the fault, however, When I boot my PC in safe mood the blue lines are now gone and I can change the resolution back to 1080p so it is most likely the GPU?

specs

gtx 1060 3gb
ryzen 1600(3.2ghz)
8gb ram

Solution
Do you have the latest driver? Have you tried previous stable versions to see if they cause the same issues? You can find previous versions here.

It might also not be a bad idea to reseat the graphcis card in the PCIE slot and reconnect the PCIE power connecters if any 6/8-pin.

What make and model is your PSU?

You might also want to wait for other to have their input.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
If it was the monitor it'd probably happen in safe mode too.

The issue not showing up in safe mode would suggest it's a software/driver related issue and probably not a hardware one.

I'd say try removing the graphics driver with DDU and do a clean install of nvidia drivers.

Can you check the GPU in another system or test your PC with another graphics card?

MilkyMilkMan

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015

The issue not showing up in safe mode would suggest it's a software/driver related issue and probably not a hardware one.

I'd say try removing the graphics driver with DDU and do a clean install of nvidia drivers.

Can you check the GPU in another system or test your PC with another graphics card?

Thanks for the reply.
I tried doing a clean install of Nvidia drivers using DDU however it did not fix the issue.
Unfortunately I do not have another GPU to test on my pc either.

MilkyMilkMan

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015

Update: I did a clean install of nvidia drivers again using DDU, this time not on safe mode. and the blue lines disappeared and my resolution was back to normal.

However, when trying to re-install the drivers, it causes the issue again, I'm unsure of what to do.

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Update: I did a clean install of nvidia drivers again using DDU, this time not on safe mode. and the blue lines disappeared and my resolution was back to normal.

However, when trying to re-install the drivers, it causes the issue again, I'm unsure of what to do.

No problem, glad to help. If the drives are installed and working why would you need to re-install them anyway?

You downloaded drivers directly from nvidia website, right?

MilkyMilkMan

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015
Sorry what I meant is I uninstalled all existing drivers using DDU and this caused the error of blue lines and the small resolution to go away. But when trying to install the drivers from Nvidia's site it causes the problem to occur again

Satan-IR

Splendid
Ambassador
Do you have the latest driver? Have you tried previous stable versions to see if they cause the same issues? You can find previous versions here.

It might also not be a bad idea to reseat the graphcis card in the PCIE slot and reconnect the PCIE power connecters if any 6/8-pin.

Solution

MilkyMilkMan

Reputable
Nov 14, 2015

I attempted to download the latest driver but every time I do so it goes through the download procedure but never actually downloads it. The same thing happens when I tried the previous version that I had prior to this issue.

I've also tried reseating my gpu and reconnecting the pins.

PSU: Corsair CX550M