Blue question mark over E dvd drive

Hey there, jtbailey.

Would you please post a screenshot of what you're talking about exactly? Have you checked if the drive is properly recognized in Disk Management and/or Device Manager? If "yes" would you be so kind as to post screenshots of those tools as well? Do you have data which you need to recover?

Basically this might mean that Windows is having trouble with recognizing the HDD. Is it an external or an internal drive? Give it a go with a different USB cable (or different SATA cables and ports if it's an internal drive), to see if the same thing happens. You should also try the drive with a different computer if you have that option.
If you don't need to recover data, I'd also recommend that you download the HDD manufacturer's diagnostic tool and run the tests, to see what's the situation with the drive. If you want to recover files, check at least the drive's SMART data.

Hope that helps. Please let me know how everything goes.
Boogieman_WD

jtbailey

Commendable
Sep 16, 2016

jtbailey

Commendable
Sep 16, 2016
dont know how to give a screen shot in device manager it shows a yellow triangle and when i click on it it say's cant load code 39 it says maybe corrupted or missing

jtbailey

Commendable
Sep 16, 2016

jtbailey

Commendable
Sep 16, 2016
dont know how to give a screen shot in device manager it shows a yellow triangle and when i click on it it say's cant load code 39 it says maybe corrupted or missing

jtbailey

Commendable
Sep 16, 2016

Did you manage to try the other suggestions? Is this an internal or an external drive?

Here's how to post screenshot here (first you should upload them to a an image hosting site like imgur.com for example): http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/faq/id-2176231/guide-posting-screenshot-forum.html
Device Manager's code 39 means this: "Windows cannot load the device driver for this hardware. The driver may be corrupted or missing." So if it's an external HDD try uninstalling it from device manager and reconnect it again so that Windows can install its driver again, to see if that fixes things up. Try updating your USB Controller and the chipset drivers as well.

Please keep me updated.

jtbailey

Commendable
Sep 16, 2016

Well if nothing works for you and the drive is out of warranty (you can RMA it if it's not out of warranty), you could get an external drive where you could store your files.
Or do you mean get an external enclosure for that drive and use that HDD with the enclosure? If this was your question, you can give it a try, but there's now guarantee that it will work. Did you manage to test the drive with a diagnostic tool?