[SOLVED] Blue screen, after adding 32gb ram.

Aug 31, 2021

Proc : Ryzen 7 1800X 8 Core
Ram : 64GB 4 x DDR4 16GB G.Skill 3000 (2x16) cl16 XMP2
Motherboard : GIGABYTE AORUS AX370-GAMING K5 AM4

Any idea how can i verify or check this issue?
After installing new memory, I also had a problem with displaying information about 64GB in the system, only 32GB of RAM was available but after few attempts and combination with slots it works.

Kind regards,
Kamil

Solution
if its 2 sets, its likely the reason.

Sets only guaranteed to work with each other, not with all. And more you add that weren't tested together, more chance of errors. Even if same models. Can always have different memory on the sticks, even if same model. I know Corsair do it, not sure about G Skill.

if you want 64gb your best chance they will all work is either buy 2 sets at same time from same shop or buy 64gb set. 1st even then is a risk.

Are you running xmp? Could turn it off and see if you still get BSOD
Sep 1, 2021
Are you mixing RAM. This shouldn't be the problem normally but still check.

If you are able to get to Windows, try these commands in CMD:
/online
/cleanup-image
/restorehealth

Best of luck.

Reactions: tgk217

Colif

Win 11 Master
if its 2 sets, its likely the reason.

Sets only guaranteed to work with each other, not with all. And more you add that weren't tested together, more chance of errors. Even if same models. Can always have different memory on the sticks, even if same model. I know Corsair do it, not sure about G Skill.

if you want 64gb your best chance they will all work is either buy 2 sets at same time from same shop or buy 64gb set. 1st even then is a risk.

Are you running xmp? Could turn it off and see if you still get BSOD

Solution

Colif

Win 11 Master
the commands he showed just fix windows, not BSOD.

If you only get the BSOD with the ram in and didn't before, its likely cause.

If you knew which were the 2 new sticks you could run memtest on them and check if they okay as new sticks can be bad

if you don't know which are which, you might need to test all

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

btw it won't be short test with that much ram.

Aug 31, 2021
the commands he showed just fix windows, not BSOD.

If you only get the BSOD with the ram in and didn't before, its likely cause.

If you knew which were the 2 new sticks you could run memtest on them and check if they okay as new sticks can be bad

if you don't know which are which, you might need to test all

Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors. Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it

btw it won't be short test with that much ram.

thanks for your knowledge, I'll post results hope so after the weekend!