[SOLVED] Blue Screen after adding two more RAM sticks of same brand & same frequency ?

Feb 3, 2021
So i have 16 GB(8x2) of ram and bought them as a set, name of the memory Corsair Vengeance DDR4 2400MHz, and i bought 2 more separately 8Gb each but not as a set, same brand same frequency! After the installation approximately 20-30 minutes i got a blue screen! After that i tested each of the new Ram separately, one of them worked and the other didn't! I updated the bios but didn't fix it! What can i do to fix the issue ? As from what i read on other forums you need to change a little the voltage . What do you guys think ?

Specs:
Gigabyte B450M DS3H
Amd Ryzen 5 3600
Gigabyte 1660
Corsair 450VS
WD Blue 1B
Samsung 850 Evo ssd

Last edited:
Solution
if you buy 4 sticks at the same time from a shop that are exactly the same, they might work together fine. But buying a set and then later buying 2 more, there is no guarantee the chips on the RAM are exactly the same.

A set of 4 sticks is tested to work together before being put in the package. There is no guarantee you will get XMP from them but you shouldn't get BSOD. Nothing is perfect though, the sticks can still be broken in other ways. I have seen sticks sold in sets cause BSOD.

Lutfij

Titan
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

If the stick of rams you purchased later, has one stick that doesn't like to work your platform, standalone, then the stick is faulty...or so it seems. Try using just the stick that's causing an issue on each of the ram slots on the motherboard.

Also, you should throw away the PSU in your specs. In fact it shouldn't be considered a PSU.

Reactions: Gocan Patric

Colif

Win 11 Master
After that i tested each of the new Ram separately, one of them worked and the other didn't!
how did you test them?
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.
Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it, just one to make it.

2 sticks in a set... easy

4 sticks where only 2 sticks been tested together, not so good. that can cause bsod
3 sticks were only 2 sticks tested together... see above.

Feb 3, 2021
Welcome to the forums, newcomer!

If the stick of rams you purchased later, has one stick that doesn't like to work your platform, standalone, then the stick is faulty...or so it seems. Try using just the stick that's causing an issue on each of the ram slots on the motherboard.

Also, you should throw away the PSU in your specs. In fact it shouldn't be considered a PSU.
Well that's how i finally tested the (faulty) ram, i took out the other 3 Ram sticks and tested it in all 4 dimm slots and it didn't work unfortunately! And when i powered on the pc all i had was a black screen. I will just ask for a refund it seems and lastly the PSU i have in plans to change it when i will get and new gpu maybe a 3070! Thanks for the help!

Feb 3, 2021
how did you test them?
Try running memtest86 on each of your ram sticks, one stick at a time, up to 4 passes. Only error count you want is 0, any higher could be cause of the BSOD. Remove/replace ram sticks with errors.
Memtest is created as a bootable USB so that you don’t need windows to run it, just one to make it.

2 sticks in a set... easy

4 sticks where only 2 sticks been tested together, not so good. that can cause bsod
3 sticks were only 2 sticks tested together... see above.
Before i bought those 2 rams separately i did some research on some articles and it was not written anything about that factory test you mentioned! I really didn't knew about the set test process and how it is guaranteed to work. Good to know for the future. I will just ask for a refund. Thanks a lot man!

Colif

Win 11 Master
if you buy 4 sticks at the same time from a shop that are exactly the same, they might work together fine. But buying a set and then later buying 2 more, there is no guarantee the chips on the RAM are exactly the same.

A set of 4 sticks is tested to work together before being put in the package. There is no guarantee you will get XMP from them but you shouldn't get BSOD. Nothing is perfect though, the sticks can still be broken in other ways. I have seen sticks sold in sets cause BSOD.

Solution