[SOLVED] Blue Screen after cloning windows 10 to new boot drive

Mar 4, 2021
I recently cloned my windows 10 installation from my hard drive to a new SSD. Whenever I try to boot from my SSD, however, my PC blue screens, says the "boot device is inaccessible" and restarts into my bios to show me that I have no RAM installed, even though all of my RAM shows in my motherboard whenever I manually start my pc and boot into my bios.

Solution
the not removing hdd stage seems to get a lot of people.

have you just tried running with the 1 set of ram in, see if you still get the odd "no ram errors" at startup. Some boards act odd if you use 3 sticks. Do you really need 48gb of ram? I have 32gb so not in a position to throw stones but really, do you use it? I normally have at least 20gb free myself,

Colif

Win 11 Master
Was hdd only drive in PC before?

Did you clone it like in the spoiler?
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe as necessary.
Delete the original boot partitions, here:
https://social.technet.microsoft.co...thy-efi-system-partition?forum=w8itproinstall

that ram reaction is interesting.

what are specs of the PC? not that I think it has anything to do with it , i haven't seen bios forget the ram before.

Mar 4, 2021
Was hdd only drive in PC before?

Did you clone it like in the spoiler?
Verify the actual used space on the current drive is significantly below the size of the new SSD
Download and install Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration, if a Samsung SSD)
Power off
Disconnect ALL drives except the current C and the new SSD
Power up
Run the Macrium Reflect (or Samsung Data Migration)
Select ALL the partitions on the existing C drive
Click the 'Clone' button
Wait until it is done
When it finishes, power off
Disconnect ALL drives except for the new SSD
Swap the SATA cables around so that the new drive is connected to the same SATA port as the old drive
Power up, and verify the BIOS boot order
If good, continue the power up

It should boot from the new drive, just like the old drive.
Maybe reboot a time or two, just to make sure.

If it works, and it should, all is good.

Later, reconnect the old drive and wipe as necessary.
Delete the original boot partitions, here:
https://social.technet.microsoft.co...thy-efi-system-partition?forum=w8itproinstall

that ram reaction is interesting.

what are specs of the PC? not that I think it has anything to do with it , i haven't seen bios forget the ram before.
The hdd was the only storage in my pc before I put the ssd in, and I cloned it using Diskgenius. I will try the thing you mentioned about removing the hard drive and booting with only the ssd but I can't swap the cables because it's and m.2 drive

As for my specs, I have 3x 16gb DDR4. It sounds weird, but I used to have 2x 16gb but one of my sticks died out of nowhere and I was warned that Ryzen (3700x) could be fussy so I figured I'd just buy another 32gb kit and if I was lucky I could just have more memory than I will need (until DDR5 becomes affordable)

Colif

Win 11 Master
the not removing hdd stage seems to get a lot of people.

have you just tried running with the 1 set of ram in, see if you still get the odd "no ram errors" at startup. Some boards act odd if you use 3 sticks. Do you really need 48gb of ram? I have 32gb so not in a position to throw stones but really, do you use it? I normally have at least 20gb free myself,

Solution

TRENDING THREADS