Question Blue screen after installing new RAM ?

Aug 15, 2022
Hi, my 11 year old computer had been running painfully slowly so I decided to try and upgrade the RAM. I am a newbie at this so I used CPU-Z and the analyser tool on Micron's website to identify compatible RAM and purchased a 4 GB DDR3L 1600 UDIMM stick 1.35V. My old RAM was a 4GB and a 2GB sticks so I removed the 2GB and replaced with the new 4GB RAM, hoping that this would then mean the computer would then have 8GB. The motherboard only has 2 slots for RAM.
My machine is an Intel Pentium CPU G620 @ 2.6GHz Sandybridge.

On installing the new stick of RAM I just got a blue screen saying Windows 10 hadn't started correctly and I could restart or go into Advanced settings. I tried the system repair then a system restore, I removed the new stick and re-installed it in case it wasn't installed correctly the 1st time. still the blue screen. I then removed the battery from the motherboard, left it 15 Minutes and re-installed it (as suggested on Microns website), still blue screen. I then re-installed the old 2GB stick into the slot but now I still have the blue screen and no computer...

Can someone please suggest how I can get the computer to work on either the old 2Gb or the new 4Gb RAM? I have read the Sandybridge may not be compatible with 1600 speed but also a setting change in the BIOS might help this? When I was in the BIOS with the new stick of RAM installed the Memory did register that it was at 8Gb but it still wouldn't load after I saved and exited the BIOS.. any help much appreciated. . thanks

Hi, my 11 year old computer had been running painfully slowly so I decided to try and upgrade the RAM. I am a newbie at this so I used CPU-Z and the analyser tool on Micron's website to identify compatible RAM and purchased a 4 GB DDR3L 1600 UDIMM stick 1.35V. My old RAM was a 4GB and a 2GB sticks so I removed the 2GB and replaced with the new 4GB RAM, hoping that this would then mean the computer would then have 8GB. The motherboard only has 2 slots for RAM.
My machine is an Intel Pentium CPU G620 @ 2.6GHz Sandybridge.

On installing the new stick of RAM I just got a blue screen saying Windows 10 hadn't started correctly and I could restart or go into Advanced settings. I tried the system repair then a system restore, I removed the new stick and re-installed it in case it wasn't installed correctly the 1st time. still the blue screen. I then removed the battery from the motherboard, left it 15 Minutes and re-installed it (as suggested on Microns website), still blue screen. I then re-installed the old 2GB stick into the slot but now I still have the blue screen and no computer...

Can someone please suggest how I can get the computer to work on either the old 2Gb or the new 4Gb RAM? I have read the Sandybridge may not be compatible with 1600 speed but also a setting change in the BIOS might help this? When I was in the BIOS with the new stick of RAM installed the Memory did register that it was at 8Gb but it still wouldn't load after I saved and exited the BIOS.. any help much appreciated. . thanks
Reset CMOS/BIOS ?

Hi, thanks for your reply, I've tried resetting the CMOS/ BIOS with both the new and then the old card stick of RAM installed but both just returned to the blue screen unfortunately..
Next step I would take is to check RAM itself,

Aug 15, 2022
ok, I've managed to get my machine back working again on the original 2 x RAM modules but only by going into F5- Safe Mode with Networking.. is there any way to make the machine boot normally again or will I have to now use F5 every single time? I've tried a system repair and system restore but still loads initially to the blue screen.. thanks

Last edited: