Blue screen after installing RAM

malone82

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
Hi,

Having not upgraded my pc since I bought it a few years ago I decided to throw in some wellneeded RAM, as a few of the games I played complained about it at times.

I bought: 2x Kingston HyperX - 2048 MB DDR2 - 6400 CL4 240 - Pin DIMM

and replaced my old: 2x Elixir - 1GB DDR2 PC6400 800MHz 1. Part - Pin DIMM

My motherboard is: ASUS P5N-E/SLI nForce 650i S-775 which from what I gathered should be compatible with the new ram.

But after installing them, without any problems I thought. I've begun to get random crashes in windows, sometimes when I aint even doing nothing. I get a blue screen with too much info to read before it restarts, but says something about if I have added new hardware recently that might be the course of failure.

I was hoping to get some advice on whether this is compatabillity problem or corrupted RAM. I should note, that I'm far from a computer xpert. So if you would please explain it in an easy way, it would be really appreciated. Just ask if you need more info!

malone82

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010
No, I thougt it was just plug and play. So I havent done anything.

I'm not sure what the part number is, I found these on the box:

KHX6400D2LL/2G

99U5316-053.A00LF

Hope thats what you meant. Thanks for the help btw, I appreciate it!

malone82

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010

I am quite a novice. I dont have an idea of what 4-4-4-12 is and how you alter voltage. Could you explain it to me? Is it that setup I can start by pressing del when I start my computer?

If you are a novice, why did you buy performance RAM? I'm not familiar with your motherboard, but you have to press Del to enter the BIOS. You should see AI Tweaker (I'm not sure with your motherboard, but you can check your manual). Select it to see what your settings are. If need be, set the DRAM timing control to manual. What are the first 4 entries? 4, 4, 4 and 12? What's the DRAM voltage?

lothdk

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2010

Yes, you need to enter BIOS to change the ram, most likely by hitting del when you power up the PC.

To enter voltage and latencies take a look at this

http://www.legitreviews.com/article/434/3/

malone82

Distinguished
Jan 27, 2010

I got the impression from the salesperson that if I knew where my RAM was located it was just plug and play :(

I will try to do what you suggested now